Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: using wire mesh to shape fibreglass?

paterson3713 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wire mesh gone.... MDF/glass combo now. [pics]

<edit ignore this....things have changed....read thread>

Will this work? I guess I'll find out. I have a '79 vette, and I'm building a box to house a 10" sub and 2 6.5" mids with seperate tweeters. I'm first going to make the box for the sub, then attach pieces to either side for the speakers/tweeters, so that the sub has it's own air space. I built a wooden frame and attached the wire mesh to it. I guess I could've used fleece too, but at first I didn't have the frame, and I built it after because I felt the wire wasn't study enough on it's own to keep the shape I wanted.

How well will this work? I've never fibreglassed anything before, so this is a learning experience as I go, but I don't to screw up my first time. Will I have to do one side at a time or will the fibreglass stick enough to the sides so that I can do all the sides and not just the top?

<edited pictures out>
    Last edited by paterson3713; 04-02-2004 at 06:17 PM.

fiero_silva is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: using wire mesh to shape fibreglass?

If your shape is square like it looks, why waste money and tons of time using fiberglass for it? Why not use wood???

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^ x2

Your idea would work, when done properly. For one, fiberglass is strongest in curved areas, so building a completely square box out of fiberglass sort of defeats the purpose. Two, for what you're doing it would be easier to just use fleece or something of the like instead of wire mesh.

Also....I'd recommend not installing your component speakers on the same enclosure as the sub, even if they don't share airspace. It will create lots of imaging problems and won't sound nearly as good as it would look.

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet
    ^ x2

Your idea would work, when done properly. For one, fiberglass is strongest in curved areas, so building a completely square box out of fiberglass sort of defeats the purpose. Two, for what you're doing it would be easier to just use fleece or something of the like instead of wire mesh.

Also....I'd recommend not installing your component speakers on the same enclosure as the sub, even if they don't share airspace. It will create lots of imaging problems and won't sound nearly as good as it would look.
    Well, it didn't start out as being as square as it looks. Our design changed numerious times, and ended up something like this. The speakers/subs would ben sticking out of the front as well, so the box wouldn't be completely square. We plan to round all lthe corners quite as bit as well. How many layers would be needed in the flat surfaces? I read somewhere that putting rope into the structure help brace it quite a bit?

Also, could you elaborate some more about the imaging problems? I'm not sure I understand the problem. It'll pretty much be like 3 seperate boxes, screwed together with the sub in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess I don't see what you're saying....the frame and corresponding mesh look flat...you may add something onto it afterwards, so the final product might not be flat, but the base is. That being said, it'd be a lot easier to just use some MDF for the flat areas, it will save you a LOT of time. With what you have now, you'd need at least 6 or 7 layers of mat, which would be costly, very time-consuming, and rather frivolous.

As far as the imaging, it's pretty simple. You want your mids and highs pointed at you, not mounted behind you. The latter will throw everything off, and quite frankly, won't sound good. You'd be much better off putting the components in your doors (if you have the room) or building kick panels.

- Slug

TPABlazer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems like a good way to waste time and money IMHO.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TPABlazer
    Seems like a good way to waste time and money IMHO.

lol, yeah. now I think so too. My original box design was nothing like this, that's why we were going to use the wire, then it kept changing and ended up like this. There's more to it, but it still has many flat surfaces which should be made of MDF. Would be a lot quicker hey?

I'm probably going to rebuild it now. However, I'm still faced with the issue of imaging. Have you ever seen inside an old corvette? There's not much room. I have some good dash speakers in there now, but in order to put some door panel or kick panel speakers in it would take A LOT of modding. Do you really think it would sound that bad with mids up front and in the back? (both would be the same distance from you). The interior of a vette is pretty small, and open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pictures would help....but with some hard work and creativity, you should be able to make a set of kick panels that take up very little room.

- Slug

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I got to agree with the consensus, MDF with be alot easier especially if it's going to be flat like your pictures indicate. As for the imaging there wouldn't be any. If you put any kind of power to the subs odds are you wouldn't hear much from the rear fill if anything at all. As for the modding let me look real quick and I may be able to give you some ideas. A neighbor has a 79' sitting in his garage right now. I'll be back

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Allright I'm back, his is actually a 78'. According to him they have basically the same interior. Anywho..... what about the space in the corners of the rear hatch latches, plenty of room there to glass in a couple of 6 1/2" 's. Or you could put them in your doors plenty of room there as well, You would have to consider mounting depth in the doors though. Just a coule of thoughts

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramos
    Allright I'm back, his is actually a 78'. According to him they have basically the same interior. Anywho..... what about the space in the corners of the rear hatch latches, plenty of room there to glass in a couple of 6 1/2" 's. Or you could put them in your doors plenty of room there as well, You would have to consider mounting depth in the doors though. Just a coule of thoughts
    Thanks for making the effort man. I'm building it out of MDF now, with a fibreglass front so I can get the curves I want. Problem with doing door/kickpanel speakers is my car is going to be gone for a solid 3-4 weeks this saturday, while it gets painted.

I'm going to put the 6.5" on either sides in the back along with the tweeter, pointing slightly inward so it's not going directly into the back of the seat, and then have the sub in the middle.

One question though....what can I do to get the same finish on the wood as the MDF? I want to paint it glossy black afterwards and want it to look the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sand it smooth and prime it good before you paint it. And you'll be set.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wire mesh works really well to get the specific curves down but it is almost pointless for you to use so much time and effort putting it all together like that. Just use wood or incorporate some curves before you think about glassing it. A single freestanding box like that wont look nearly as good as something you put a little effory into! Some pics would be good too so we can see the progress. Good luck

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, here are some pics. I'm going to glass the front of it with some curves. The middle will house my 10" sub, and either side will house the tweeters and 6.5" speakers. The sides aren't on yet because I'm waiting for my amps to decide how they'll fit best in there.

ps; that's not a crack in my back window. just a reflection of the antenna. (it made me run out and double check cause i was worried)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Looks good so far. Now all you need to do is make a cover to fit over your hatch area. and you would never know anything is there.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast