Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How to figure out sq ft of your box enclosure to make sure it matches specs

TheRealARW is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How to figure out sq ft of your box enclosure to make sure it matches specs

If you want to build your own subwoofer box, which is recommended to be honest its much easier and cheaper, but there's things you gotta know first. Depending on how many sub woofers your putting is the first thing you want to know. This also works if you don't want to make your own box and your going to just buy one pre-made you will want to make sure it matches up to the sub woofers specs.
    First things first. Depending on if you buy your sub woofers brand new out of the box or used, you want to know what is the minimum/ recommended cubic feet. This is THE most important thing because this will determine how your sub outputs in performance. If your subs didn't come with a manual (used) than the best thing to do is make sure you have the size of them subs, the name of the company and everything else. For example I have JL subs and I have 12" subs and they are the W3V2(tells me on the back) and they are also 2 ohm load. (which doesn't matter I don't think) and just google it. something will pop up and tell you the specs.
    Next you need to come up with measurements and see how well it'll match up to your sub woofers specifications.
    For example I have a box which is 10in W x 42 in L x 14 in H and what I would do is multiply all those to get 5880, than you divide by 1728. Don't ask me why you divide by 1728 because I'm not sure why it's that number but whatever dimensions you have you will always use that number. Once you get that number than you'll divide by how many subs your putting in. I'm putting in 2 therefore I'd divide whatever number I got by 2. If its higher than your subs specifications, good. If it's below the subs cubic feet, don't expect maximum performance.
    Once you got everything situated and got your measurements your ready to start making your box

frogcase2002 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Re: How to figure out sq ft of your box enclosure to make sure it matches specs

you divide it by 1728 because thats 1 cf in inches

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

L x w x h= sum,and divide by 1728,less the thickness of the box on your measurements

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Its called math I think......

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

05fronty is offline SALT PETER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

wow never knew this

bought from ridinhi,vitveet,dbr,sicaudio and 99grandprixgt, and more ........... sold to player3,foomasta69, pitbull, brodiesel and dragnix 12887 traded with louisiana crx

"noobs that come in the dome will get gang raped!"
    nothing but a stock fosgate system with gps and back up camera lol
    2012 nissan sentra spec v with some goodies cumming though

SplAffair is offline I lol'd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Whats this foreign language that involves numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by predxen View Post
    Its not as loud as it should be, you stop hearing it about a block away. you should be able to hear it a quarter mile away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    You need to keep the smoke INSIDE the amplifier. Once you've allowed all the happy smoke to escape the amp will stop working.
    BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

7. Likes Bettr n' Revrse liked this post
    maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Another noob attack. Great.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

av83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealARW View Post
    If you want to build your own subwoofer box, which is recommended to be honest its much easier and cheaper, but there's things you gotta know first. Depending on how many sub woofers your putting is the first thing you want to know. This also works if you don't want to make your own box and your going to just buy one pre-made you will want to make sure it matches up to the sub woofers specs.
    First things first. Depending on if you buy your sub woofers brand new out of the box or used, you want to know what is the minimum/ recommended cubic feet. This is THE most important thing because this will determine how your sub outputs in performance. If your subs didn't come with a manual (used) than the best thing to do is make sure you have the size of them subs, the name of the company and everything else. For example I have JL subs and I have 12" subs and they are the W3V2(tells me on the back) and they are also 2 ohm load. (which doesn't matter I don't think) and just google it. something will pop up and tell you the specs.
    Next you need to come up with measurements and see how well it'll match up to your sub woofers specifications.
    For example I have a box which is 10in W x 42 in L x 14 in H and what I would do is multiply all those to get 5880, than you divide by 1728. Don't ask me why you divide by 1728 because I'm not sure why it's that number but whatever dimensions you have you will always use that number. Once you get that number than you'll divide by how many subs your putting in. I'm putting in 2 therefore I'd divide whatever number I got by 2. If its higher than your subs specifications, good. If it's below the subs cubic feet, don't expect maximum performance.
    Once you got everything situated and got your measurements your ready to start making your box

I lol'd my butt off at the bold... But in it's entirety, it's pretty much this ^^^

Pioneer 80prs
    Rockford Fosgate t800.4, CDT ES-MO 6 mids, Digital Designs T2 tweets
    2 MB Quart DSC1500.1's strapped on 1 Tantric HDD 12
    Mike Singer 310 amp 6 phase
    2 runs of Monster Cable 1/0

05fronty is offline SALT PETER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

lol true^

bought from ridinhi,vitveet,dbr,sicaudio and 99grandprixgt, and more ........... sold to player3,foomasta69, pitbull, brodiesel and dragnix 12887 traded with louisiana crx

"noobs that come in the dome will get gang raped!"
    nothing but a stock fosgate system with gps and back up camera lol
    2012 nissan sentra spec v with some goodies cumming though

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

what was the purpose of this thread?

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

OmegaBunny is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

LOL I thought you were asking a question. It wasn't until I got to the end that I realized you were telling us how to do it.

Then I was like...

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser with Box built by Pro-Rabbit
    H/U Kenwood DNX6960
    Sub: 1-18" Zv3 with NS coils and cone Sub Amp: Mmats 2100.2
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio L6 mids, SEAS Neo Tweets, SAX 100.4, RF 3sixty.2
    Bought From: Rio, davidtemple, Bassin Buick, Pro-Rabbit, Kangaroux, KyleBechtold Traded With: WhiteDragon551 Sold To: jdmeklove, Kpozr2, 97accordalpine

mazdakid is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    what was the purpose of this thread?
    Hes teaching us how to build a custom subwoofer box or how to find out what prefab box will work for our subwoofers.

traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

OmegaBunny is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

You forgot to tell us that we need to take external measurements, divide by 1728, then guesstimate the thickness of the wood. Also, we don't need to worry about figuring out the port area or length, just guesstimate on that as well.

but for real, who has been banned recently that wants to troll?

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser with Box built by Pro-Rabbit
    H/U Kenwood DNX6960
    Sub: 1-18" Zv3 with NS coils and cone Sub Amp: Mmats 2100.2
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio L6 mids, SEAS Neo Tweets, SAX 100.4, RF 3sixty.2
    Bought From: Rio, davidtemple, Bassin Buick, Pro-Rabbit, Kangaroux, KyleBechtold Traded With: WhiteDragon551 Sold To: jdmeklove, Kpozr2, 97accordalpine

Closed Thread