Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Reload Thread: How does box rise work?

  1. #1
    shpatb's Avatar
    shpatb is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    How does box rise work?

    What causes box rise? Area of box? Sealed vs ported? How can a person calculate box rise? Right now I have two, 2 ohm subs, in compartmentalized box with about 1 cube each sealed, or other box compartmentalized with over 3 cube each ported for my subs. Just wondering what kind of ohm load my amp is actually seeing.



    2008 G8 LC6i Kenwood 6.5's upfront, Morels in the rear. Alpine PDX-F4, 2x BA-SPG555 sealed with JBL 14001
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
    Head unit - eclipse CD5000
    Front Components - Boston Z6's Rear "fill"- Boston SR95
    Front&Rear Amp - Boston GT24
    Sub -2x Boston SPG-555 @ 34hz
    Sub amp -BA GT28
    ect - 12 farad stinger cap,0 gauge stinger wiring, stinger 1500 battery, 200a alt
    refs: keifersracing




  2. #2
    Flex68's Avatar
    Flex68 is offline dilligaf



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Backroads
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by shpatb View Post
    How can a person calculate box rise?
    Copied and Pasted this into a file I saved....don't recall where it came from:

    To calculate “box rise” you need an AC clamp meter and a DMM. You will need to measure the AC voltage output going to each of your subs (or if they're bridged just the wires going into the amp). Once you get the AC voltage you will need to find the AC current. You do this by clamping the negative wire going to the set of speakers.

    Example:

    You clamp your wire and get 38.6 amps of current
    You probe the + & - wires and get 61.7 volts

    Next you would take the 61.7 volts and multiply the 38.6 by it to find your MAX power which would be 2381 watts

    Next to find out your impedence rise you would divide the voltage 61.7 by the amperage 38.6 which would be 1.59 ohms

    So if you were to have a nominal or starting resistance of .5 ohms you would have a rise of 1.09 ohms, for an overall reactive load of 1.59 ohms.



    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    Romney will [fornicate] me less than Obama already has and WAY less than what Obama has planned.
    Refs: adamtwo4, basscort2009, burzendowski, clanassa, cthedinger, ikoolguy, its_bacon12, Jew_Bagel, jr711, kreapin, kowboy, Rudy, TheRealDefman, Winter_C

    HU:Eclipse CD7200 MkII
    Subs: Fack Skar Audio
    Front comps: HAT Clarus C61-2 off Sony ES 7547
    Electrical: C&D batt, Big 3 with 1/0, 4ga to amps, Stinger RCA’s
    Damping: 60mil FG panels over holes, full worx from SDS

  3. Thanks ThatChevyGuy, Joseph7195 thanked for this post
  4. #3
    kushy_dreams's Avatar
    kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    twenty past four
    Posts
    4,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    there is no way to calculate it, only way to find out is to clamp your amp, its different at every frequency



    13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T


    http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

    BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

  5. #4
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    There is none if you bolt it down.



    Stupid Loud.

  6. Likes Jerhemy, Popwarhomie, kushy_dreams liked this post
  7. #5
    CAT MAN's Avatar
    CAT MAN is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Roanoke,VA
    Posts
    8,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    There is none if you bolt it down.
    you saw that on caco also? lol....




  8. #6
    Flex68's Avatar
    Flex68 is offline dilligaf



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Backroads
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    there is no way to calculate it, only way to find out is to clamp your amp, its different at every frequency
    Technically you're correct, but if you play you standard/favorite genre of tunage and set the AC clamp meter to record the max via a "Hold" function, you're going to be able to get a pretty good idea of what your rise is....



    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    Romney will [fornicate] me less than Obama already has and WAY less than what Obama has planned.
    Refs: adamtwo4, basscort2009, burzendowski, clanassa, cthedinger, ikoolguy, its_bacon12, Jew_Bagel, jr711, kreapin, kowboy, Rudy, TheRealDefman, Winter_C

    HU:Eclipse CD7200 MkII
    Subs: Fack Skar Audio
    Front comps: HAT Clarus C61-2 off Sony ES 7547
    Electrical: C&D batt, Big 3 with 1/0, 4ga to amps, Stinger RCA’s
    Damping: 60mil FG panels over holes, full worx from SDS

  9. Likes wickedwitt liked this post
  10. #7
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT MAN View Post
    you saw that on caco also? lol....
    Yep, that was freaking hilarious.



    Stupid Loud.

  11. #8
    shpatb's Avatar
    shpatb is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Do sealed boxes get more rise than ported? I think I'm going to go back to ported because the output from sealed is pretty poor, I mean they sound nicer and have the punch that I like but when I listen to rap it's just not the same... I'll try to borrow a clamp and DMM and see what happens.



    2008 G8 LC6i Kenwood 6.5's upfront, Morels in the rear. Alpine PDX-F4, 2x BA-SPG555 sealed with JBL 14001
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
    Head unit - eclipse CD5000
    Front Components - Boston Z6's Rear "fill"- Boston SR95
    Front&Rear Amp - Boston GT24
    Sub -2x Boston SPG-555 @ 34hz
    Sub amp -BA GT28
    ect - 12 farad stinger cap,0 gauge stinger wiring, stinger 1500 battery, 200a alt
    refs: keifersracing

  12. #9
    Fiendstolemyamp's Avatar
    Fiendstolemyamp is offline Call of the Wintermoon



    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    It's not something you need to worry about playing music.



    I use gain as a volume control.

  13. Likes xShoWTeKx liked this post
  14. #10
    LBC's Avatar
    LBC
    LBC is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Audio Technix
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
    Technically you're correct, but if you play you standard/favorite genre of tunage and set the AC clamp meter to record the max via a "Hold" function, you're going to be able to get a pretty good idea of what your rise is....
    No. He was dead-on correct. Your rise changes with every frequency. Sometimes there is no rise. There is impedence drop. Google: impedence curves for loudspeakers and you'll get a better understanding. You can't clamp 1 frequency and then assume you're rising that much on every other frequency. That isn't true. You rise the most at your port's peak frequency. That is going to be your loudest frequency also. This is all pretty simple stuff. There are just so many people out there spreading bad information it's kind of getting out of hand.




  15. Likes mylows10, shpatb liked this post
  16. #11
    Flex68's Avatar
    Flex68 is offline dilligaf



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Backroads
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    No. He was dead-on correct. Your rise changes with every frequency. Sometimes there is no rise. There is impedence drop. Google: impedence curves for loudspeakers and you'll get a better understanding. You can't clamp 1 frequency and then assume you're rising that much on every other frequency. That isn't true. You rise the most at your port's peak frequency. That is going to be your loudest frequency also. This is all pretty simple stuff. There are just so many people out there spreading bad information it's kind of getting out of hand.
    I've read enough of your idiocy on other threads to discount anything you say....especially since you apparently didn't even read the entirety of the one sentence I posted.

    Go back to nuthugging cthedinger, and spreading more of your disinformation about how his product compares to others in the industry.
    Anyone on here who has half a brain knows how irrelevant a little lamb you are, lol.



    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    Romney will [fornicate] me less than Obama already has and WAY less than what Obama has planned.
    Refs: adamtwo4, basscort2009, burzendowski, clanassa, cthedinger, ikoolguy, its_bacon12, Jew_Bagel, jr711, kreapin, kowboy, Rudy, TheRealDefman, Winter_C

    HU:Eclipse CD7200 MkII
    Subs: Fack Skar Audio
    Front comps: HAT Clarus C61-2 off Sony ES 7547
    Electrical: C&D batt, Big 3 with 1/0, 4ga to amps, Stinger RCA’s
    Damping: 60mil FG panels over holes, full worx from SDS

  17. #12
    LBC's Avatar
    LBC
    LBC is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Audio Technix
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
    I've read enough of your idiocy on other threads to discount anything you say....especially since you apparently didn't even read the entirety of the one sentence I posted.

    Go back to nuthugging cthedinger, and spreading more of your disinformation about how his product compares to others in the industry.
    Anyone on here who has half a brain knows how irrelevant a little lamb you are, lol.
    What are you talking about? All you have to do is look it up. I'm not going to come in here and lie... and I wasn't attacking you. You're just not correct and I attempted to properly inform you. Calm down.




  18. #13
    Falcons's Avatar
    Falcons is offline that **** i dont like



    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Albion, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Ish just got real.



    Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

  19. #14
    Flex68's Avatar
    Flex68 is offline dilligaf



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Backroads
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    What are you talking about? All you have to do is look it up. I'm not going to come in here and lie... and I wasn't attacking you. You're just not correct and I attempted to properly inform you. Calm down.
    As usual, you wish to bandy semantics.
    You are trying to correct something that did not need correcting.
    Please re-read my post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
    Technically you're correct, but if you play you standard/favorite genre of tunage and set the AC clamp meter to record the max via a "Hold" function, you're going to be able to get a pretty good idea of what your rise is....
    Both you and kushy are technically correct that the varying freq's in music will not allow one to pinpoint a single, accurate impedance to be able to say, "I have a xx.xx box rise."
    However, if one follows the very basic guideline I posted, and play one's favorite "style" of music, then one can at least get a general idea of what to expect in terms of box rise, which allows one to account for something rather than nothing.

    Your statements are kind of like someone saying they would rather know zilch if they can't know it all; its gotta be black or white, fukk all that gray; etc, etc.


    So, again, I say to you, P!ss off



    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    Romney will [fornicate] me less than Obama already has and WAY less than what Obama has planned.
    Refs: adamtwo4, basscort2009, burzendowski, clanassa, cthedinger, ikoolguy, its_bacon12, Jew_Bagel, jr711, kreapin, kowboy, Rudy, TheRealDefman, Winter_C

    HU:Eclipse CD7200 MkII
    Subs: Fack Skar Audio
    Front comps: HAT Clarus C61-2 off Sony ES 7547
    Electrical: C&D batt, Big 3 with 1/0, 4ga to amps, Stinger RCA’s
    Damping: 60mil FG panels over holes, full worx from SDS

  20. #15
    LBC's Avatar
    LBC
    LBC is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Audio Technix
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Re: How does box rise work?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
    As usual, you wish to bandy semantics.
    You are trying to correct something that did not need correcting.
    Please re-read my post:



    Both you and kushy are technically correct that the varying freq's in music will not allow one to pinpoint a single, accurate impedance to be able to say, "I have a xx.xx box rise."
    However, if one follows the very basic guideline I posted, and play one's favorite "style" of music, then one can at least get a general idea of what to expect in terms of box rise, which allows one to account for something rather than nothing.

    Your statements are kind of like someone saying they would rather know zilch if they can't know it all; its gotta be black or white, fukk all that gray; etc, etc.


    So, again, I say to you, P!ss off
    Ok, I'm glad you clarified. Your posts prove that you know nothing. The clamp results need voltage and current. You assume you can just look at the peak current and know something. You can't. That doesn't make sense. Nobody would know you aren't smart if you'd stop talking so much.




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Alpine H701, how does this thing work?
    By JonJT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 12:29 AM
  2. how does a port work?
    By jacko in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 01:17 AM
  3. How does a suboofer work?
    By rez0469 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 12:11 AM
  4. How does a subwoofer work?
    By GSteg in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum