Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What port length should I use? Different calculators give different lengths.

RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What port length should I use? Different calculators give different lengths.

I'm making a triple chambered box and each chamber is 2.2cf tuned to 31hz. Port dimensions are 1.57"x11.16" and when I use this calculator if I select yes or no on the slotted port option I get different results.
    http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com...0lenth%201.htm

This box will be using a slotted port, but other calculators I have which don't have the option to choose a slotted port all say closer to 18.8" (like winISD).

Using your calculation methods or reasoning could anyone tell me what port length I'd need to get the tuning frequency I'd like.

Cheers.

edit: this website also gives me the two same options, 13 or 18
    http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: What port length should I use? Different calculators give different lengths.

any box designers here have their own equations to test against? To see if the 13" or 18" is closer to the real value I'd need?

I'm making a box with a port like this. Now to my knowledge this is a slot port

other calculators only give the option of slot or round port and for slot port they give 18". Except those two linked above have the options round/square and slot/non-slot port. **** this is confusing...

SMS
    SMS is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Re: What port length should I use? Different calculators give different lengths.

i think you should have one of the box designers on here to help you out. also your port dimensions are way off- 1.57 wide x 11.16 is about half the port area you should have in 2.2 cubes, so if you correct the port area the length will grow maybe 10" more, that might ruin your whole design.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SMS View Post
    i think you should have one of the box designers on here to help you out. also your port dimensions are way off- 1.57 wide x 11.16 is about half the port area you should have in 2.2 cubes, so if you correct the port area the length will grow maybe 10" more, that might ruin your whole design.
    are you sure it's too small? I've been using winisd and that port area keeps me under 25m/s so I think I'd be alright.

I've sent a PM to mobileenclosurs about it but then again I'm not paying anyone for the design so I can't expect anyone to do all the calculations for me but I would like to know which of the two port lengths I should be aiming for here.

SMS
    SMS is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

if you pay for a design the outcome will be much better, and you will only have to build one box.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SMS View Post
    if you pay for a design the outcome will be much better, and you will only have to build one box.
    nah I much prefer to to learn for myself, that way I save a few dollars and gain some knowledge. I have designed a box before so this is my second design. I do a lot of planning before pulling the trigger which is why I'm asking here before doing anything.

I've been planning this design for the last couple of months and all I've got left to figure out is the port length.

Here's what I've got so far, it's going in a hatchback so I'm aiming for a nice horn effect for some good cabin gain.

edit: ports would be something like this

edit 2: no worries here guys, I ended up testing a previous box I built and found its minimum excursion at 25hz which was the tuning frequency I made it for so I'll be going with 18" on this design.
    Last edited by RSDXzec; 07-02-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Closed Thread