Closed Thread

Reload Thread: IDEAS: 1987 Monte Carlo 15" Jugg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IDEAS: 1987 Monte Carlo 15" Jugg

Long time no see. I am helping my buddy install a 15 inch Jugg in his Monte. It has just been brought up, I haven't gotten any measurements or anything but I was seeing if anyone has messed around with the body style. From what it looks I am going to have to put the sub up which is giving me problems w port options. There is a hump in the bottom of the trunk so I need the port to be on the upper end of the box as well.

I am familiar with everything accept for box specs. I understand freq's and cubic feet but when it comes to how long/deep/spotting of ports, I need help. Would I be able to point the sub up and have the port face the back seat on the top side of the box? Excuse my ignorance, its been awhile, and even back then box building wasn't my cup of tea. Thanks

2- 3515's
    2- RD 1750v2's
    Critical Mass 5x7's
    2- C&D batts
    Box

Check thread for pricing

22mountaineer is offline 6 /\

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: IDEAS: 1987 Monte Carlo 15" Jugg

This is something like I am talking about, would it be stable/efficient?

2- 3515's
    2- RD 1750v2's
    Critical Mass 5x7's
    2- C&D batts
    Box

Check thread for pricing

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also as far as it being a car with a large trunk, what is typically the best option as far as subs and port placement. I understand every car is different, but we dont have the time or equipment to test it. The seats will be down. I am not set on the sub being up and port forward. I have researched and it seems I will have enough room to face the subs back or forward if need be. Thanks guys

2- 3515's
    2- RD 1750v2's
    Critical Mass 5x7's
    2- C&D batts
    Box

Check thread for pricing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sub back port back has always been best for daily in all my trunk installs. Sub back port to the side works for some too. From what I have seen you want to avoid sub up in trunks if possible. It can work, but its not ideal in most applications.

Refs- DiabolicBass, nismos14,IonSQL,massiveaudiocw,sxpimpin,sundownz,8 7gr, nissan,Louie68,Tips,Trell,integra88,Ellsworthz,bas ebalz13,lil98cabrio,woofercooker,pro-rabbit,Louisiana_CRX,MANTI5,eL_wEEnIe,bubbagumper6 ,jco1385,95saturn,ace_800,micah_jones,assassin1840 ,beat-down69,RAM_Designs,whitedragon551,KTMrida4life

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch86 View Post
    Sub back port back has always been best for daily in all my trunk installs. Sub back port to the side works for some too. From what I have seen you want to avoid sub up in trunks if possible. It can work, but its not ideal in most applications.
    Thanks for the tip this is what I was looking for. I have zero experience when it comes to cars and its something I am trying to get the jist of before we tackle it. Wish I would of had all of the info in the original post for you guys but this is the first place I came. Looks like I will be able to barely get it to fit with sub back. About how far off the back of the trunk do you think I need to have the box?

Any tips to reduce rattle? Back seats will be down, deadener will be used, anything extra? Thanks!

2- 3515's
    2- RD 1750v2's
    Critical Mass 5x7's
    2- C&D batts
    Box

Check thread for pricing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people also fire sub and port into the cabin and seal it off from the trunk. No experience with this myself and doubt you have the space to do so with the 15. I've always had good luck with sub and port back with the box as far back in the trunk as possible. Best thing to do is scoot the enclosure around until you get the sound that's wanted before securing it down. Deaden the trunk as much as possibl to reduce rattles.

Refs- DiabolicBass, nismos14,IonSQL,massiveaudiocw,sxpimpin,sundownz,8 7gr, nissan,Louie68,Tips,Trell,integra88,Ellsworthz,bas ebalz13,lil98cabrio,woofercooker,pro-rabbit,Louisiana_CRX,MANTI5,eL_wEEnIe,bubbagumper6 ,jco1385,95saturn,ace_800,micah_jones,assassin1840 ,beat-down69,RAM_Designs,whitedragon551,KTMrida4life

7. Thanks 22mountaineer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expanding foam can be used in cracks and crevices...but you have to be careful not too get too much expansion.

ewadz3006 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if this is relevant or not, but i have a 84 pontiac grand prix (same body style) I had two
    Jl audio 12w5's. Built a few different boxes they sounded the best and loudest in a ported box subs and ports facing the rear of the car.

I feel sorry for those who do not drink, when they wake up on the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day.-Frank Sinatra

2004 mercury mountaineer
    Hu Kenwood excelon x996
    Fronts Incriminator audio comps
    Front amp Aq 120.4
    sub amp Aq2200d
    subs 2 sundown sa 12's @ 32hz
    wiring knu 1/0 ofc

Closed Thread