Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: screws that won't break

Jerhemy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

screws that won't break

I was finishing up my box last night and when I went to screw the subs down to the baffle and the stainless steel screws I bought, that were supposed to be 'extra strong' were stripping up faster than my standard sheetrock screws. The stainless steel screws however, weren't having the heads snap off completely once I got them tightened down.

So my question is... what kind of screws can I use that won't strip so easily or break off at all.

I did pre-drill for these screws, and I am very experienced with tools and building so it's not user error with these screws.

Thanks for any and all info/ help you can provide me.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: screws that won't break

square head/deep,not slotted,can be found at home depot/lowes/building supply

fasfocus00 is online now doITdaWHITEwayORdoITtwice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

are you using a fine thread or coarse thread? coarse minimizes you stripping the wood. also what are you pre-drilling to, the width of the screw including the thread or just the body of the screw?

Here is my feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ght=fasfocus00

"If you ain't cheatin', You ain't trying"

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

You may want to try a countersink bit the flush the head into the wood. You may want to get an impact drill. Regardless of whatever, you have to keep a decent amount of pressure behind the drill while screwing into the box because the MDF will try to keep it from turning and you'll strip the screw. Also, it's very easy to over-torque and strip screws, so once it's tight, back off it.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Also, make sure you clamp the piece while you are screwing them together.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

sorry I should have specified, the head of the screw is stripping, it is a phillips head srew. I pre-drilled fairly small compared to the size of the screw shaft it self, but it seems to be a fine thread style, and it's definitely not stripping out of the wood as of yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

If you are stripping the head, just make sure you push hard. I mean you have to push pretty hard sometimes man, and if you are at the wrong angle you'll strip it quick and eat up your phillips bit. Done it a few times...

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

fasfocus00 is online now doITdaWHITEwayORdoITtwice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerhemy View Post
    sorry I should have specified, the head of the screw is stripping, it is a phillips head srew. I pre-drilled fairly small compared to the size of the screw shaft it self, but it seems to be a fine thread style, and it's definitely not stripping out of the wood as of yet.
    if this is the case, you'll want to look at a square head or torx head screw. the colored deck screws at home depot have a square head and spax has torx head. also if your stripping the head, you using the right size bit? sounds like your using a size to small.

Here is my feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ght=fasfocus00

"If you ain't cheatin', You ain't trying"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    You may want to try a countersink bit the flush the head into the wood. You may want to get an impact drill. Regardless of whatever, you have to keep a decent amount of pressure behind the drill while screwing into the box because the MDF will try to keep it from turning and you'll strip the screw. Also, it's very easy to over-torque and strip screws, so once it's tight, back off it.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Also, make sure you clamp the piece while you are screwing them together.
    Thanks for the info, The baffle is two layers of 3/4 inch mdf that has been glued and pressed and screwed together.

Yea i was putting some serious pressure on the screws to get them in, I did get 3 of them all the way in a tight before I started stripping the heads. Luckily I was able to apply enough pressure to get those 3 screws out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, The baffle is two layers of 3/4 inch mdf that has been glued and pressed and screwed together.

Yea i was putting some serious pressure on the screws to get them in, I did get 3 of them all the way in a tight before I started stripping the heads. Luckily I was able to apply enough pressure to get those 3 screws out.
    Ah double baffle are usually when they break. Screw the screw in like half way, pause for just a half second and screw it the rest of the way in. They tend to generate a lot of heat while going through 2 baffles. I watch a guy break off about 30 screw heads in one box on the double baffle. They simply get to hot and break.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I suppose I may technically be using the wrong head or bit for the screw, but it definitely fits better than some other screws. The stainless steel seems almost 'soft' with how easily it stripped. I will definitely look in to the deep square or torx head bits.

and word, Buck, I know how to drive some screws.

The only reason i went and got these stainless steel screws was because the multipurpose/sheetrock screws I built the box with were snaping the heads off when i was securing the 3rd layer to the baffle. I guess having 2 solid inches of thread grip was enough to pop the head off.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Ah double baffle are usually when they break. Screw the screw in like half way, pause for just a half second and screw it the rest of the way in. They tend to generate a lot of heat while going through 2 baffles. I watch a guy break off about 30 screw heads in one box on the double baffle. They simply get to hot and break.
    hmm that makes sense for sure, never thought it was the head but that makes sense for sure. Would a deck screw vs. a sheet rock screw be stronger? I just don't wanna get the screw almost all the way in just to break the head off last minute haha.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

square heads all day long..no more phillips heads or slotted.they torche in..counter sinking will help alot..go get $2 worth try them out for yourself.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    square heads all day long..no more phillips heads or slotted.they torche in..counter sinking will help alot..go get $2 worth try them out for yourself.
    right on man, I know when I was doing home renovations and such all they used were square heads and I knew it was cause they have a much better grip.

Stupid me, thinking that these 1$ a piece stainless steel screws could hold up to the job haha

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

just went to the Ace hardware down the street, got a nice vice grips and manually turned the screws out by hand. Also got some T20 torx driven premium deck screws that really seem to be doing the trick.

Thanks for the advice guys!

dirtyunclerandy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

just went to the Ace hardware down the street, got a nice vice grips and manually turned the screws out by hand. Also got some T20 torx driven premium deck screws that really seem to be doing the trick.

Thanks for the advice guys!

THe torx work great. Very easy to drive them in.

now 2012 Kia Optima SX

DD M1C
    Sundown E10s

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast