Closed Thread

Reload Thread: sub swaps?

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

sub swaps?

ok i have an odd situation here. my current setup is a pair of kicker comp 10s i picked up for like 50 buck new in box like two days old lol.

anyways i put them in subthump's ultra deep chevy down-fire box for the 06 silverado and it 1.13 cubes per chamber. so the ten sees a hair over a cube a piece.

well the boxes peak frequency with these is like 32 hz with the windows up and 28 with them down.

question is since kickers require big boxes could i put a 12 from another company and achieve the same peak frequency without modifying the box to be larger. or would changing to a better ten be a better idea

kicker comp 10s require 1 cube per
    most 12s require the same

im thinking a pair of icon 12s but i dont want to lose the lows that the kickers are miraculously producing

and yes comps stink but they did what they needed to do quite well i just want a little more they have managed to flex my roof on songs like "roger that"

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Re: sub swaps?

bump

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

bump would really like some kinda response to this

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

dirtyunclerandy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

you could get away with doing the icons sealed as long as you have enough mounting depth. The enclosure would be on the small side but should be fine.

now 2012 Kia Optima SX

DD M1C
    Sundown E10s

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyunclerandy View Post
    you could get away with doing the icons sealed as long as you have enough mounting depth. The enclosure would be on the small side but should be fine.
    well if i went with tens it would be on the larger side and from what i understand this would help the low-end but sacrifice power-handling.

the only reason i suggested the icon 12 is because of its innate ability to pull lows out of nowhere i had a pair of the v1 in a 4 cube box tuned to 37 and it would just dig and dig till it about 26hz then i would have to back off for sub safety purposes

but i have no experience with them sealed or for that matter much of any sub sealed. if it isnt rf, memphis, pioneer, or id. i dont typically run sealed but im aiming for a stealth install and since i wasnt happy with my p3s10s sealed or ported i picked these cops up and they kinda caught me off guard with how they sound. i know there is better a heck of alot better than comps.

pretty much have 1.13 cubes sealed 8inches of mounting depth and would like good lows. im not looking out beat anyone i would just like to be a little louder than the 138db these comps manage to pull together. would love to break a 145 under the seat sealed. its a tall order but i think its possible. i have a mtx 4000 at my disposal atm and 4 150a/h batts and a 300amp alt on the way from dc power. may even order the dual alt bracket and keep my factory for the time being.

i dont want to do 6.5" subs or 8" subs they have e-gads of that kind of set-up rolling around its too common

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

Edward74 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for sharing

7. Dislikes DoesDad disliked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward74 View Post
    thanks for sharing
    if u have nothing to input on this please do not post in this thread he'll if u had anything informative about car audio go ahead and post it but otherwise please do not post uninformative comments such as the one above.

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

dirtyunclerandy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Icons sound great sealed. I have only heard one set up with them, but I was impressed. I am considering these in my next system. Could you do a small ported enclosure? Without doing the math, it seems like it would be very close to possible.

now 2012 Kia Optima SX

DD M1C
    Sundown E10s

wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Icons do have a reputation for being able to get low for no reason. If that truly is the case, and you aren't too under volumed on the box, the 12s should give you more output without sacrificing your lows. If they don't deliver the hype, or you choke them out, you could have them bottom out on you on lower stuff.

99% of people in here will bash anything Kicker makes, but the only thing I've ever seen of theirs that wasn't impressive is the CVRs. They aren't near efficient enough for what they are, in most scenarios the Comps will get louder on the same or less power.

Anyways, all Kickers love larger boxes and it seems as though you have a decent size box for them. I assume you are feeding them somewhere between 400-800w. If so, it is going to be hard to beat in a prefab box with such little room to work with.

Stupid Loud.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    Icons do have a reputation for being able to get low for no reason. If that truly is the case, and you aren't too under volumed on the box, the 12s should give you more output without sacrificing your lows. If they don't deliver the hype, or you choke them out, you could have them bottom out on you on lower stuff.

99% of people in here will bash anything Kicker makes, but the only thing I've ever seen of theirs that wasn't impressive is the CVRs. They aren't near efficient enough for what they are, in most scenarios the Comps will get louder on the same or less power.

Anyways, all Kickers love larger boxes and it seems as though you have a decent size box for them. I assume you are feeding them somewhere between 400-800w. If so, it is going to be hard to beat in a prefab box with such little room to work with.
    at the moment they are seeing quite a bit of power i have them on my mtx 7804 at 2ohm mono which is around 6-700watts and im just being careful with them. tbh i was expecting to be disappointed with the comps but for 50 bucks i just tossed them in figuring i could craigslist them if nothing else. but they are doing better than the p3s 10s i had so far.

as far as the ported box goes i could toss a 2 inch aero in there with the icon 10s but that wont work maybe 2 2inchers but with the 3 inch i wont have the room for the sub to fit fully in the box. which is why i would rather sealed the cone area doesnt mean much to me if i could get lower with the smaller subs. the mtx is a huge amp but it would be rather easy to pick up a rockford 1500bdcp so power isnt an issue and the less that is needed the better

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    so power isnt an issue and the less that is needed the better
    This x1000. The less power someone can get away with and still be loud the better. People rag on me about big boxes but this is where the rubber meets the road. Sure you can get loud on 20k, but if someone can do it with the same cone area on 5k not only is it more impressive, it cost them less and was more than likely less destructive.

Stupid Loud.

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    This x1000. The less power someone can get away with and still be loud the better. People rag on me about big boxes but this is where the rubber meets the road. Sure you can get loud on 20k, but if someone can do it with the same cone area on 5k not only is it more impressive, it cost them less and was more than likely less destructive.
    Somebody is definitely doing something wrong if somebody else gets just as loud as them with 15,000 less watts on the same cone area lol.

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    Somebody is definitely doing something wrong if somebody else gets just as loud as them with 15,000 less watts on the same cone area lol.
    Yea, it's called building spec boxes. I laugh at all the morons with 18s in 5cu. or 15s in 3cu. Then they say "these subs need 3500w each to move"

What am I saying, I'm moving to a 10k setup

Stupid Loud.

Closed Thread