Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Reload Thread: Sub needs a massive ported box?

  1. #1
    RSDXzec's Avatar
    RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Received my pcw-12 subwoofer in the mail today. And using the subs specs on this calculator Car Audio - Ported Subwoofer Box Design Formulas & Calculator
    It tells me I'm going to need a 7.5cuft box if I go ported.

    My limits are about 10.5" high and I believe about 4cuft internal total and my boot would be full.
    I'd like to use a cylindrical port tune it to 32hz, should I make the box 4 cuft? or could I go down to about 3cuft?

    Cheers.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    specs for reference:
    RMS - 350W
    Fs - 32.87 Hz
    Vas - 1.839 cuft
    Qms - 4.963
    Qes - 0.733
    Qts - 0.638
    Xmax - 0.413"
    SPL - 89dB
    dual 4 ohm VC







  2. #2
    SMS's Avatar
    SMS
    SMS is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    7.5-thats almost like running it free air. Is it hard to get good subs in Austraila?




  3. #3
    RSDXzec's Avatar
    RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMS View Post
    7.5-thats almost like running it free air. Is it hard to get good subs in Austraila?
    yeah it's a real pain.
    Also from what I've read this was a pretty good sub in its time, only reason it says 7.5 on that calculator is because the sub was made for sealed, this tends to happen a lot for subs with sealed specs. Yet I have seen most of these on youtube running ported, and pretty well at that.

    So I'd like to know what kind of volume I'd actually need.




  4. #4
    Phoenix Risen's Avatar
    Phoenix Risen is offline OG.... Original Ginger



    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dayton/Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    generally with 12's its anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5 depending on the application and the woofer, with that sub i would shoot for around 2cubes net.



    R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

  5. #5
    Joseph7195's Avatar
    Joseph7195 is online now Can't Walk, I still F*ck



    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Saltillo, Mississippi, United States
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    10
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    I would give a holla at Mobile Enclosures

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/membe...enclosurs.html

    He could really help you out. There are certain factors a calculator couldn't take into account, like the installers needs. Give him a shout, he will help. Hope this helps!



    Alpine 9833
    Boston Accoustics Front & Rear
    Cadence United Series Vegas 4 Channel
    Cadence S2W12-D2
    Cadence United Series Dakota Mono Amp
    Duralast 1,000 amp battery, X-Static 2,000 Amp Battery
    Rockford Foagate 1/0 wire, and interconnects
    Cadence shielded RCA wire
    Dynamat sound deadening, Fatmat sound deadening

  6. #6
    Phoenix Risen's Avatar
    Phoenix Risen is offline OG.... Original Ginger



    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dayton/Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    4,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    indeed, ram_designs knows a thing or to as well, and is always happy to help.



    R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

  7. #7
    RSDXzec's Avatar
    RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph7195 View Post
    I would give a holla at Mobile Enclosures

    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/membe...enclosurs.html

    He could really help you out. There are certain factors a calculator couldn't take into account, like the installers needs. Give him a shout, he will help. Hope this helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Risen View Post
    indeed, ram_designs knows a thing or to as well, and is always happy to help.
    alright il send a message to ram_designs as I have already contacted mobile enclosures and I'm waiting for him to get back to me.




  8. #8
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    That woofer really wants to be in a sealed box to sound good. You can put it in whatever ported box you want and it may get loud, but likely won't have a good response.

    Volume displaced by woofer and port counts against internal volume of the box FYI




  9. #9
    RSDXzec's Avatar
    RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    That woofer really wants to be in a sealed box to sound good. You can put it in whatever ported box you want and it may get loud, but likely won't have a good response.

    Volume displaced by woofer and port counts against internal volume of the box FYI
    are you saying that based on the specs or on previous experience with it?

    and thanks I didn't take into account the port volume.




  10. #10
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Quote Originally Posted by RSDXzec View Post
    are you saying that based on the specs or on previous experience with it?

    and thanks I didn't take into account the port volume.
    Low Fs, high Q, and somewhat low Vas. Good indication it'll play nice and flat in a large-ish sealed box. Really getting close to the kind of sub that would do well in infinite baffle. A poor choice if you planned to use ported alignment IMO. Like I said, it'll probably get loud, but without cabin accoustics working in your favor (dumb luck or a shitload of experimenting) you won't get a really flat response out of a ported alignment.




  11. #11
    RSDXzec's Avatar
    RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Low Fs, high Q, and somewhat low Vas. Good indication it'll play nice and flat in a large-ish sealed box. Really getting close to the kind of sub that would do well in infinite baffle. A poor choice if you planned to use ported alignment IMO. Like I said, it'll probably get loud, but without cabin accoustics working in your favor (dumb luck or a shitload of experimenting) you won't get a really flat response out of a ported alignment.
    ah ok, well would you say it would get considerably louder if I put it in a 2 cuft sealed box as opposed to the 1 cuft sealed box that it's in now? I just upgraded from a kenwood 200wrms 12" sub and didn't notice too much difference so I was a little disappointed, I'm hoping the box can increase the output a fair bit.




  12. #12
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    It will be louder in a ported box....whether or not it will sound good ???? Come back and let us know.




  13. #13
    RSDXzec's Avatar
    RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    It will be louder in a ported box....whether or not it will sound good ???? Come back and let us know.
    probably will go sealed... it's just finding the right point between 1.25-3cuft that I need to work out now. Manufacturer specs say 1.25 is max output and 3 is best sq, I'm trying to go for the box that will help me "feel" the bass the most. I guess 2cuft would be a good balance, but would you say leaning towards 1.25 or 3 would be best for "feeling" the bass?




  14. #14
    The_Grimy_One's Avatar
    The_Grimy_One is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Quote Originally Posted by RSDXzec View Post
    probably will go sealed... it's just finding the right point between 1.25-3cuft that I need to work out now. Manufacturer specs say 1.25 is max output and 3 is best sq, I'm trying to go for the box that will help me "feel" the bass the most. I guess 2cuft would be a good balance, but would you say leaning towards 1.25 or 3 would be best for "feeling" the bass?
    The bigger the sealed box, the lower the frequency... So I would probably shoot for around 2.25 or so. I think you would be much more satisfied.



    Deck: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front Stage: Incriminator Audio I65C / Front Amp: Alpine MRV F540
    Sub: 2 10" Obsidian V3 / Sub Amp: MMATS 2000.1
    Bought From: ge_off_me, Boomsday, Chemmins, impactas, Sleazebagger, NoPh33rRaCiNg, fasfocus00, 50cents, flastrongman, pborcich, ace_800, GAMEOVERCCA
    Sold To: Jamesmington, Juicee, Bunkrd you, Donnie Darko, ge_off_me, destined2race, todd131, Imjtnotu, mclerico83, aimology, Audiobahn, kpetree
    Traded With: ge_off_me, Imtjnotu, 04lariat


  15. #15
    RSDXzec's Avatar
    RSDXzec is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sub needs a massive ported box?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Grimy_One View Post
    The bigger the sealed box, the lower the frequency... So I would probably shoot for around 2.25 or so. I think you would be much more satisfied.
    alright, for the record it is a hatchback so it's not a big car so feeling the bass shouldn't be hard to do. I definitely have room to go the full range between 1.25 to 3 if I need to. I probably will aim on the higher volume end of that to get the lower frequencies if I can feel them more. I'm not sure if max output means the most you can hear or the most bass you can feel, based on your statement I would assume that it's hear. I however am more interested in feeling the bass than hearing it




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. need help wit ported box for 2 rf power hx2 12"s
    By mxyamaracer2004 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM
  2. Need Help On Ported Box Design
    By FullThrottle7 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 11:22 PM
  3. Need help on ported box for a small trunk
    By BulldogSr04 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 04:54 PM
  4. I need help with ported box!!! please help
    By impulsebrklyn in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 01:22 PM
  5. infinity subs in a jensen ported box?
    By thumpin_twang in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2002, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum