Gregulate is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sealed or ported box for 10

I have a Audiopulse EPD210 EPIC 10" DVC Subwoofer 2 Ohm

Overview
    Specifications: *Power handling: 600 watts RMS *VCdia: 2" *Impedance: 2 ohms per coil *Fs: 25 Hz *SPL: 84.8 dB 1W/1m *Magnet weight: 140 oz *Vas: 1.62 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.80 *Qes: 0.37 *Qts: 0.34 *Xmax: 22 mm *Dimensions: Overall diameter: 10.97", Cutout diameter: 9.50", Mounting depth: 5.62".
    Highlights
    600 watts RMS power handling
    Dual 2 ohm voice coils
    22 mm Xmax
    Long throw 2" voice coils
    8" linear suspension system
    2" peak to peak travel
    One piece anodized aluminum cone

I've got a request for a box quote out, but have read that a lot of you build your own. Building a sealed seems pretty straight-forward, but when it comes to designing a ported/slotted enc, all the info is daunting. I've played around with winisd and some other calcs online, but am not really any more confident. Can anyone advise me on how to get started. Since I'm such a novice, is this more than I should take on or am I making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

Like I said, I'm waiting on a box design quote from Pro-Rabbit, but would like to see what else is out there on "build your own" options.

Any help is appreciated

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Re: Sealed or ported box for 10

The build your own option is very popular if you have the tools to do it. A sealed enclosure is very basic, but as per your email I think you would be looking into a ported enclosure. Even so, if your not sure how to generate one you could just get a design and then build off that. It does save money no question though.

I have an email ready for you as well, just not in the office today to get it over to you. Trying to deal with our lost pet situation currently.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    The build your own option is very popular if you have the tools to do it. A sealed enclosure is very basic, but as per your email I think you would be looking into a ported enclosure. Even so, if your not sure how to generate one you could just get a design and then build off that. It does save money no question though.

I have an email ready for you as well, just not in the office today to get it over to you. Trying to deal with our lost pet situation currently.
    Yeah, heard about the lost pets--I can't think of anything worse. Rootin' for ya. As for the box, take your time; I just tend to do TONS of research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RE AUDIO - Box Calculator

This is pretty accurate, as long as you tune about 1-2 hz lower than your target, and likewise make the volume slightly larger than your target-- to account for woofer displacement, bracing displacement, etc. Pay attention to your port area per net cubic feet volume, and you're golden. It gives you cut sheets too.

Simple SQ System:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-117
    Active Crossover: Cache' CEX
    Front Stage Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-704
    Components: Polk Audio DB 6501
    Sub Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-1000m
    Sub: JBL P1224, 2.5 ft^3 @ 25 hz enclosure
    Rear Fill: Sony Xplod 5.25s on HU power lolz

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danometal View Post
    RE AUDIO - Box Calculator

This is pretty accurate, as long as you tune about 1-2 hz lower than your target, and likewise make the volume slightly larger than your target-- to account for woofer displacement, bracing displacement, etc. Pay attention to your port area per net cubic feet volume, and you're golden. It gives you cut sheets too.
    That calc is NOT accurate at all, ask any reputable box builder. The tune is off by 4-5hz even after sub disp is considered and volume is off by .2-.5 cu/ft as well. Not a good tool, I used to use it all the time until I found out how inaccurate it is.

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    That calc is NOT accurate at all, ask any reputable box builder. The tune is off by 4-5hz even after sub disp is considered and volume is off by .2-.5 cu/ft as well. Not a good tool, I used to use it all the time until I found out how inaccurate it is.
    Good to know. What do you recommend?

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

The good old pen, paper and single line non scientific calculator method. Figure out how much space you have to work with, use this to calculate the net volume of the box then subtract your port, sub and bracing displacements.

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I recommend a minimum of a 1.4cu ft box ported to a maximum of 1.6 cu ft ported. I prefer the 1.6 ported for that sub, just my opinion of course.. Sounded just great for me , build your own and save some money,I use 3/4MDF. A sheet is like $25, and you make a mistake, you have some to spare.Just a reg square box ported sounds just fine, unless you are competing then id get serious about a perfect built box, and save the funds for it, but you can do just fine building yourself, and learn as well??IMO

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Height x width x depth - wood thickness, devided by 1728=volume in cu.ft. is a simple method used to building a box??What I use??

Closed Thread