Closed Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Reload Thread: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

  1. #1
    drumz's Avatar
    drumz is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    I have a 1996 Honda civic, and I have an enclosure entirely too large for my trunk, so its time to fabricate one. I was wondering what the best overall design for a dual slot-ported box would be. Here is what I have so far. If someone is willing to fully design a box that will fit my trunk and allow a decent SPL, I will pay a bounty via paypal.Box Design For Kicker L7 15"-sub-design.jpg







  2. #2
    RAM_Designs's Avatar
    RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Age
    28
    Posts
    21,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    You don't have near enough space to port a 15" L7. 36"x16"x14" is just 3.62ft^3 before sub and port displacements...you realistically will wan about 6-7ft^3 before displacements so that you end up in the 4-5ft^3 range after displacements. You'd be better off just going sealed in the space that you're working with.




  3. #3
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    Quote Originally Posted by RAM_Designs View Post
    You don't have near enough space to port a 15" L7. 36"x16"x14" is just 3.62ft^3 before sub and port displacements...you realistically will wan about 6-7ft^3 before displacements so that you end up in the 4-5ft^3 range after displacements. You'd be better off just going sealed in the space that you're working with.
    Yep.... He would know look at his avatar




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  4. #4
    drumz's Avatar
    drumz is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    Quote Originally Posted by RAM_Designs View Post
    You don't have near enough space to port a 15" L7. 36"x16"x14" is just 3.62ft^3 before sub and port displacements...you realistically will wan about 6-7ft^3 before displacements so that you end up in the 4-5ft^3 range after displacements. You'd be better off just going sealed in the space that you're working with.
    Kicker advises 3-6...? Why do you say 6-7?




  5. #5
    kushy_dreams's Avatar
    kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    twenty past four
    Posts
    4,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    Because Kickers like large boxes and don't do very well in small boxes. The square cone has more surface area than a standard 15 so it needs more air behind it to perfrom well. Kicker doesnt tell anyone this and markets them ad being able to fit into small spaces, which is not true.



    13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T


    http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

    BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    Because Kickers like large boxes and don't do very well in small boxes. The square cone has more surface area than a standard 15 so it needs more air behind it to perfrom well. Kicker doesnt tell anyone this and markets them ad being able to fit into small spaces, which is not true.
    This is the truth..



    This is NOT the way to do things.






  7. #7
    IonRL205's Avatar
    IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Abilene, Texas
    Posts
    2,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    I like my custom 15, does really well in 3ft³ of space



    Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

    Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    Quote Originally Posted by IonRL205 View Post
    I like my custom 15, does really well in 3ft³ of space
    Its not a kicker :/




  9. #9
    RAM_Designs's Avatar
    RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rockwall, TX
    Age
    28
    Posts
    21,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    Quote Originally Posted by drumz View Post
    Kicker advises 3-6...? Why do you say 6-7?
    That's 6-7 before displacements. The 3-6 that Kicker recommends is after displacements, as is the 4-5ft^3 that I recommended.




  10. #10
    drumz's Avatar
    drumz is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Box Design For Kicker L7 15"

    Quote Originally Posted by RAM_Designs View Post
    That's 6-7 before displacements. The 3-6 that Kicker recommends is after displacements, as is the 4-5ft^3 that I recommended.
    Thanks for the clarification, Im just trying to get a feel for how much trunk space I can maintain with a decent SPL form my kicker. As it is now, I had to take out my back seat to fit my current box in, and its pretty much my entire trunk as is.




Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum