Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Time to REALLY test your Enclosure knowledge......NEED HELP

myYotaIsLoud is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Time to REALLY test your Enclosure knowledge......NEED HELP

Lets see if anyone can offer me a concrete solution to my most recent purchase.

I drive a 1994 Toyota Pickup. Its regular cab with a bench seat. I've already removed the bracket for the jack so I could fit my 2 MTX 8's behind my seat. They are in a truck box thats 7.5" on the bottom, 3.5" on top, 16" tall and 16" deep. What I need to know is what dimensions should I build my next box to? It will be holding two MFW-12's. They require 1.9 cubic feet each to reside in a sealed box per the spec sheet. So I guess, all in all, I need to know: what dimensions, material type and thickness, and ported vs. sealed. I install car audio on the side, but have never tried to tackle the custom box build. Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated. Hoping to have it sketched up and ready for fab within the week. Thanks

-01limited- is offline Where are my 72 virgins?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Time to REALLY test your Enclosure knowledge......NEED HELP

polyfill will be your friend if you go sealed.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Mach 5 ixl 18.4
    7 cubes tuned to 34hz
    Hifonics Brutus 2k
    Knu Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Buick View Post
    Why?? You still haven't learned to eat my balls in the WTEMB section.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

polyfill? Where would i find that? Basically, I will spare no expense and cut no corners for my truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I'm going to guess that its going to be tough to squeeze ~4cubes net behind the seat of a regular cab. (and still be able to sit in it ) Contact RAM_Designs, if it can be done, he can design a box for your needs.

Refs- DiabolicBass, nismos14,IonSQL,massiveaudiocw,sxpimpin,sundownz,8 7gr, nissan,Louie68,Tips,Trell,integra88,Ellsworthz,bas ebalz13,lil98cabrio,woofercooker,pro-rabbit,Louisiana_CRX,MANTI5,eL_wEEnIe,bubbagumper6 ,jco1385,95saturn,ace_800,micah_jones,assassin1840 ,beat-down69,RAM_Designs,whitedragon551,KTMrida4life

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good Deal, Thanks Mitch.

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

blow-through

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Um, blow-through means what? Did I miss something?

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

means, put the enclosure in the bed, and fire the port in the cab (band-pass, of course) hate to say it, but a pair of 12's can be real hard to get done right otherwise. i have seen a box bult using the back wall as one of the sides effectively simulating a slightly larger enclosure from the flex, but still you need to be short to ride.

i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

agreed. Problem is I'm 6'2". Long legged at that. Would I be able to get away with a smaller enclosure if I ported the box instead of using a sealed box?

VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myYotaIsLoud View Post
    polyfill? Where would i find that? Basically, I will spare no expense and cut no corners for my truck.
    Polyfill is great for "tricking" the subs into making them run in a smaller than optimum box. If you need a 1.9cf box and you have a 1.6 or so, you can stuff it with polyfill to make it work. You can buy it at fabric stores and Walmart.

Sealed boxes are smaller than the requirements for a ported box. You're better off staying sealed if you want to save space.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post
    Polyfill is great for "tricking" the subs into making them run in a smaller than optimum box. If you need a 1.9cf box and you have a 1.6 or so, you can stuff it with polyfill to make it work. You can buy it at fabric stores and Walmart.

Sealed boxes are smaller than the requirements for a ported box. You're better off staying sealed if you want to save space.
    Wow, that helped alot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

another option is to do a bucket seat conversion, like me and most people i know have done with mini-trucks, even just for a better ride, not just for sub space. you sure you want to run 2-12's? imho, it's far better to let a single sub have it's space, than choke off 2

i buy broken amps....
    -Heath H-

Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VWBobby View Post

Does not trick the subs just slows down the waves in the box

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First and foremost, that is the coolest GIF I've seen in a long time lol.

But about the polyfil. .... I have to say that Kole Audio recommended a 50%-75% insulation fill inside the box for sound dampening and increased sub performance.

And I just talked to someone at Kole about the cubic feet needed for my sub. He said that I evidently recieved a typo or outdated list. I only need 1.2 cubic feet instead of 1.9. But does that mean that my box HAS to be 1.2? Or can I go with a 1.4 or another variation. because I did find a box design that is Sealed and will fit behind the seat. It says 1.04cubic feet, but my math was closer to 1.4.

The only reason I am being so picky is because this will be my final setup for my truck as far as audio goes. When its complete I'm moving to other things on my project list. so Basically, I'm not doing anything until I'm positive it will be perfect. And now, with saying that, understand that I have to stare at these beauties without being able to use them lol. Its killing me.

But as always, I sincerely appreciate EVERY post on my thread because it gets me closer to my end goal.

Oh, btw, akheathen, I have thought about the bench to bucket conversion before, but your mention of it today brought up a good question. What would I do about brackets? and any suggestions on best buckets for the swap?(either personal choice, looks, or availability...doesn't matter)

supermaxx123 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you have a link to the sub you are using?

Bought from: tc3k101, vitveet, chico305, pieper88, Toxic Tuan, rusty_armadillo, tristanmay
    Traded with: modskwod, jmkanek
    Sold to: smd4life, AQHDC3, fastfocus00

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast