Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Reload Thread: alternative to terminal cups?

  1. #1
    osmith's Avatar
    osmith is offline Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    alternative to terminal cups?

    I know that I've seen some people run bolts through the box. Just wondering what the best way to do that is? Or if anyone has any other alternatives aside from just drilling a hole in the box and running the wires through it.







  2. #2
    bubbagumper6's Avatar
    bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The D
    Posts
    10,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    Bolts + mechanical lugs

    Mechanical lugs look like this:


    I found some at Menards in the electrical section for pretty cheap.




  3. #3
    sobe3yourself.'s Avatar
    sobe3yourself. is offline lordside gangster



    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Orange, CA
    Posts
    2,942
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    some thick *** bolts




  4. #4
    Imtjnotu's Avatar
    Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    12,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    i just bolts......attach the wire coming from the sub to ring terminals put the head side of the bolt on the inside of the box and drill threw (pre drill holes smaller then bolt)

    then on the outside of the box attach a washer to the bolt then attatch ur speaker wire to ring terms coming from the amp

    attach to the bolt and either use a nut or wing nut and tighten down from the outside




  5. #5
    bubbagumper6's Avatar
    bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The D
    Posts
    10,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    Quote Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
    i just bolts......attach the wire coming from the sub to ring terminals put the head side of the bolt on the inside of the box and drill threw (pre drill holes smaller then bolt)

    then on the outside of the box attach a washer to the bolt then attatch ur speaker wire to ring terms coming from the amp

    attach to the bolt and either use a nut or wing nut and tighten down from the outside
    Then if you need to remove the wire from the enclosure for some reason it's a PITA. I have mine setup like that right now and had a lot of problems with the ring terminals pulling out and everytime that happened it was just awful trying to fix it, the mechanical lugs eliminate that and essentially install heavy duty terminals on the box.




  6. #6
    Imtjnotu's Avatar
    Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    12,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbagumper6 View Post
    Then if you need to remove the wire from the enclosure for some reason it's a PITA. I have mine setup like that right now and had a lot of problems with the ring terminals pulling out and everytime that happened it was just awful trying to fix it, the mechanical lugs eliminate that and essentially install heavy duty terminals on the box.
    i get what ur saying ya it is but i wouldnt kno how to do the mechanical lugs....any help?




  7. #7
    justafifteen's Avatar
    justafifteen is offline And that's the truth.



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ash Tree Lane
    Age
    21
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    Quote Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
    i get what ur saying ya it is but i wouldnt kno how to do the mechanical lugs....any help?
    Take one look at the picture posted above, and see if you can deduce how it works.




    Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer...ck-thread.html
    The Ride: 1991 Spirit
    The Sub: AudioQue SDC2.5 15" (4.2cf @ 38hz)
    The Sub Amp: Audiopipe AP1500.1D
    The Front Stage: Pioneer TS-C1353 Components
    The Front Stage Amp: Pioneer GM-3300T

  8. #8
    Imtjnotu's Avatar
    Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    12,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    Quote Originally Posted by justafifteen View Post
    Take one look at the picture posted above, and see if you can deduce how it works.
    put a bolt threw it? and connect with rings on the other side?




  9. #9
    bubbagumper6's Avatar
    bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The D
    Posts
    10,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    Quote Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
    put a bolt threw it? and connect with rings on the other side?
    No ring terminal needed. You put the bolt through the hole in on the back part. The front part is exactly like an amp terminal with a set screw. So you just strip your wire, insert, tighten set screw, ???, PROFIT!!!




  10. #10
    osmith's Avatar
    osmith is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    Great input guys! Thanks!




  11. #11
    justafifteen's Avatar
    justafifteen is offline And that's the truth.



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ash Tree Lane
    Age
    21
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: alternative to terminal cups?

    Quote Originally Posted by imtjnotu View Post
    put a bolt threw it? and connect with rings on the other side?
    Are you female? No offense, just curious




    Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer...ck-thread.html
    The Ride: 1991 Spirit
    The Sub: AudioQue SDC2.5 15" (4.2cf @ 38hz)
    The Sub Amp: Audiopipe AP1500.1D
    The Front Stage: Pioneer TS-C1353 Components
    The Front Stage Amp: Pioneer GM-3300T

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum