Closed Thread

Reload Thread: what is this box tuned to

Chris Bell is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what is this box tuned to

built a new box and just kinda wondering what the tuning is only built a couple vented boxes and and dont really know how to figure it out if anyone can help i would greatly apperciate it... the internal dem. are 32l*20d*16t port is 3.5*16t*29l

Kangaroux is offline I put on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Re: what is this box tuned to

Are those internal dimensions the chamber or including the port? If it's the chamber then you should up your port area. Rule of thumb is 12-16 square inches of port area for every cubic foot.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And if anybody is wondering how big a box you can fit in an 01 maxima thats it. had to pull the carpet and spare tire cover and give it alittle kick to get it in lol shouldve went .5 shorter hope i dont ever have to take it out

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that is the internal of the whole box. built alot of sealed boxes in the past kinda new to the slot port

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
    that is the internal of the whole box. built alot of sealed boxes in the past kinda new to the slot port
    You're looking at somewhere between 29-31Hz. Personally I would have bumped up the port area a little bit, too little port area and you introduce port noise from high air velocity. But, you just about meet the 12 square inches per cube so I guess you'll be fine.

6. Thanks Chris Bell thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks alot man it sounds good and hits hard. if i make the port longer do you think it will sound better have to do it in the car since i dont know if i can get the box back out. was kinda hopeing to be around 33-34hz range got close for a guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

thanks alot man it sounds good and hits hard. if i make the port longer do you think it will sound better have to do it in the car since i dont know if i can get the box back out. was kinda hopeing to be around 33-34hz range got close for a guess
    Alright then you can do this. Make your port 4" wide, that will help with your port area, but shrink down your length to 25 inches and it will make your tuning 33hz just about on the dot.

FYI you can use this site for calculating tuning: Car Audio - PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES

Use the calculator on the bottom. Select the port shape to "square" but keep slot port at "no" (it messes up the numbers sometimes...). For the box volume you enter in the chamber (not including port)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thats the problem i cant make the port wider without taking it outta the car and dont know if i can get it back out lol thanks for the calculator ive tried to use a couple others but this computer at work wont let me and its the only way i have internet other than my phone but that one works

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

thats the problem i cant make the port wider without taking it outta the car and dont know if i can get it back out lol thanks for the calculator ive tried to use a couple others but this computer at work wont let me and its the only way i have internet other than my phone but that one works
    huh? what do you mean lol

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

to change the port from 3.5 to 4 inches wide i would have to take the box outta my car because there not enough room to do it inside it and dont know if the box will ever come out in one piece it was rather hard to get in lol (second post describes what it took to get in but doesnt say how much of a pain it was literally threw my back out getting it in there

Closed Thread