Closed Thread

Reload Thread: port width

SMS
    SMS is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

port width

I have been using a port calculator to get port dimensions to acheive 34Hz, I have noticed the narrower you go to shorter the length-so what is the best width for a 12"? Ive been going with 1.75- 2.375 with a few boxes ive made latly.
    Also what specs are needed to make a custom box design? I have a Megaloud VX2 and it came with no specs.
    The sub sounds best in the box at the shop-2.5cuft 30" long x15"-x15" it has a port coming out the side that is 2.75"wide 13.5" tall and 14" long. According the calculater I use thats like 48Hz or so, but it sounds really nice, goes really low, sounds 10 times better than any box Ive made for it on the same amp. The problem is its too long for my trunk.
    Im looking for a custom design, I have the 2.5cuft but its not a true rectangle .
    Im willing to pay but I dont have paypals so I would have mail a $ order, Im very bad with computers -cant even get a pic up so I would have to talk to you or send you the layout of the shape I need.
    Thank you for any help and reading this rambling clusterf*** of a thread.

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Re: port width

PM Ram Designs or email Buck

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

RAM_Designs or myself could get you a design.

As for the port width it depends on the total port area you need to achieve. Port area depends on what sub(s) you have and what the air space will be.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

If you can drive down to the cape I can build you a box for cost of materials.

To properly design a box you need the Theil Small parameters of the sub (Fs, Qts, and Vas in particular). If you're close by I can measure them for you as well.

Keeping port as wide as possible helps airflow, how much area you need is dependent on a few factors, but largely how much air the sub displaces at full power. From there as long as you're not hearing port turbulence you get marginal gain from going larger with your port, but it's a bit of a diminishing return, so if space is an issue you don't need to go as big as some ppl claim.. Round is optimum if you can fit it. 48hz tuning sounds a bit high for daily... I've tried it and am not impressed.

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    RAM_Designs or myself could get you a design.

As for the port width it depends on the total port area you need to achieve. Port area depends on what sub(s) you have and what the air space will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    If you can drive down to the cape I can build you a box for cost of materials.

To properly design a box you need the Theil Small parameters of the sub (Fs, Qts, and Vas in particular). If you're close by I can measure them for you as well.

Keeping port as wide as possible helps airflow, how much area you need is dependent on a few factors, but largely how much air the sub displaces at full power. From there as long as you're not hearing port turbulence you get marginal gain from going larger with your port, but it's a bit of a diminishing return, so if space is an issue you don't need to go as big as some ppl claim.. Round is optimum if you can fit it. 48hz tuning sounds a bit high for daily... I've tried it and am not impressed.
    This and this.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at Ryan@RAM-Designs.com

Closed Thread