Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Difference Between Shared Or Seperate Chambr Sealed Box

Tragedy116 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Difference Between Shared Or Seperate Chambr Sealed Box

I have purchased two 12 inch magnum D2's and have thrown them in a 3.2 cubic foot sealed bo that is a sealed chamber due to space in my trunk. I heard many differences about having subs in either sealed or seperated sealed chambers. What are the main differences? What are the advantages or disadvantages of having a shared chamber sealed box over a seperated chamber sealed box?

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Difference Between Shared Or Seperate Chambr Sealed Box

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy116
    I have purchased two 12 inch magnum D2's and have thrown them in a 3.2 cubic foot sealed bo that is a sealed chamber due to space in my trunk. I heard many differences about having subs in either sealed or seperated sealed chambers. What are the main differences? What are the advantages or disadvantages of having a shared chamber sealed box over a seperated chamber sealed box?
    when two subs share a common sealed chamber and one sub is weaker than the other it creates a push-pull effect that's not healthy for either woofer. if you happen to blow one woofer without blowing the other, it will most likely take the other one with it if it's not taken care of very quickly. I always suggest seperate sealed chambers for subs, and have recently removed the surcharge on my website for seperate sealed chambers to encourage their use.

PS: The recommended ported enclosure for a magnum is 2 cubic feet per driver....you sure you couldn't squeeze another cube out of the trunk space?

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

bigred78797 is offline Audiobahn Junkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Difference Between Shared Or Seperate Chambr Sealed Box

I would agree with Lone Ranger. I would recommend at least 2 cubic feet of box volume ( after port and speaker displacement) for any ported boxes per sub. Unless you absolutely cannot get anymore room. I had my two 10" subs with about 1.5 cubes each and they still didn't sound as good as when i had my single 10" sub... but they were louder. That and i was trying to get set up for competition so SQ really didn't matter... as much... still needed some SQ though. Cant be driving around with crappy bump at any time. As for the common and separated chambers.. i usually will do a single chamber but i could tell if something was wrong with one speaker and could shut it down. But if the person playing the music cannot tell when something is wrong then i would reccomend a separated chamber.

Closed Thread