Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Using foam inside of boxes

I used to have foam egg crate inside of my box but I took it out yesterday because a friend at school said that the egg crate would probably be absorbing the bass and deadening it. I have messed around with a few subwoofers we have in our house for home audio and their enclosures are completely lined with foam of some sort inside of them.

I have always had a roll of egg crate foam inside of my closet because I once slept on it as a kid and that's why I decided to experiment with the stuff. I haven't hooked up my sub yet because I am going to be carpetting the box tomorrow and I figured I could just ask here because I'm sure some of you have experimented or heard about foam being in boxes and the effect it has on the sound.

I have a blown sub in one of the home audio boxes and I could easily pull the foam out of them and see what it does to my Kicker's box. It isn't very spongy/fluffy, its more of a home insulation type foam. I believe I've been told about fiberfill before, and I'd guess that's what its like, although I really don't know what fiberfill looks/feels like. I just know that my egg crate foam is pretty dry rotted, not to the point where its falling apart, but you could tear it pretty easy, its kind of brittle, although it still is a pretty good cushion.

What do you think different types of foam do to the overall sound of a subwoofer? I have begun to think that the smoothness and SQ of the bass is improved, while SPL is decreased.

Thanks for any comments or opinions

-Ryan

1988 Acura Legend Sedan

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Foam inside boxes

It possibly could dampen the sound, though it depends on the material used to make the stuff. I would just go buy some polyfill, fiberfill, polyester filling, whatever you want to call it, it'l set you back about 3 bucks. the stuff that somes in a sheet rather than a giant mass of puff is usually much much easier to work with.

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

z00mz00m is offline 100100100010111010101

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Foam inside boxes

Quote Originally Posted by nosaj070
    It possibly could dampen the sound, though it depends on the material used to make the stuff. I would just go buy some polyfill, fiberfill, polyester filling, whatever you want to call it, it'l set you back about 3 bucks. the stuff that somes in a sheet rather than a giant mass of puff is usually much much easier to work with.
    What are the purposes of the types of foam that you just mentioned though? Do they enhance SPL and/or SQ?

1988 Acura Legend Sedan

Berry47 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Using foam inside of boxes

Polyfill slows down the air molecules so that the sub thinks it is in a larger box. A larger box usually yeilds better bass.

Mine: CDT, Eclipse, Diamond Audio, Dayton, Aura

Wifey: Infinity, Concept, Pioneer, Profile, JBL

Refs: Ruckus, MSSOKC

Trixter is offline Keepin it Simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Using foam inside of boxes

Ii's a good thing for a small box. Not usually used in a ported boxes as much as sealed, but it can be. I have noticed that it creates a smoother bass, not sure about the SPL, but I think your on the right track. And yeah, use the polyfil over the foam. Wal-Mart-bedding section-pillow stuffing.

2006 Jeep Liberty
    Adire Audio, Cadence, Clarion, MB Quart

Lv = [(14630000 x R^2) / (Fb^2 x Vb)] - 1.463R
    *Vb = vol. in cu"
    **R = sq.rt. A / Pi (for square/slot port)

Closed Thread