Closed Thread

Reload Thread: pat needs help pertaining to body filler...

d audio 450 is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pat needs help pertaining to body filler...

ok...got my door all resined up all nice...lookin gooooood....body filler time now, but i was told not to buy bondo cuz i hear bondo ***** ***...but i heard "dynalite(sp?)" is real good...but i dunno where i can get it around here....are there any suggestons? like body filler can generally be found at autobody shops and stuff right? this stuff called "rage" is supposed to be good too...and anyone have any suggestions when im applying this stuff? friend said i cant put it on too thick or it will crack when it dries out if my door flexes at all....thanks for any input, its def ef appreciated
    -pat

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: pat needs help pertaining to body filler...

Rage is great body filler. if you can't find it or dynalite. Look for bondo llite. I believe it's a green can. The lite body filler's are alot easier to sand. And yep don't put it on too thick. It will crack. When you start applying it. Try to get it as smooth as possible. Once it starts to become rubbery. Use a body file, or some 40 grit sandpaper, and knock down any ridges. It will save you alot of sand paper and sanding.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any differences between the rage and dynalite besides the price difference. gallon of rage goes for 20 and dynalite for 13. any reason why the rage is more expensive?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by customcamaro
    any differences between the rage and dynalite besides the price difference. gallon of rage goes for 20 and dynalite for 13. any reason why the rage is more expensive?

def def a good question...i have to drive 45min away to get a can of rage too....someone told me that the rage is just perfect in terms of sandability, "creaminess?", and pinhole-less....but i only have enough to buy the dynalite....so owell huh
    -pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never been a fan of sanding so either way i think im gonna go with the rage or dynalite...guess it depends on how much i feel like spending that day

02 WS6, 6 speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

IMHO it's not worth the extra drive and money for the rage. Don't get me wrong rage is good. But I don't personally think it's worth the extra money and time to get it. I use the dynalite all the time ( comes in a yellow can ) with great results. It sands really easy, and fills imperfections quite well. It has a good sticky texture that smooths easily with a spatula. I sound like I'm frosting a cake or something

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well if its anything like frosting a cake then i will just have my girlfriend do it

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i am so pissed off, im seriousluy considering giving up, and lighting my door panel on fire.

BODY FILLER F U C K I N G BLOWS

its too thick to mix and it sticks to the spatula and nothing else, i try using a little of the hardener, i try using alot...doesnt work. **** im so pissed off.

about to give the **** up
    -pat
    :

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Try adding some resin to the mix to thin it out some. It makes it a little easier to spread. Also use it as sparingly as possible. Spread it on as thin as possible.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when i mix the resin in, when i put the resin hardener in? im putting both the resin hardener and the body filler hardener in right?
    thanks
    -pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You can use both hardeners. But you don't have too. I usually just use the bondo catalyst. Remember to knock down all the rough ridges and bumps left over after applying the filler, just as it starts to turn rubbery. It comes off alot easier now then later.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

PopcornPlaya is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dynalite is avaiable direct from bondo corporation.
    www.bondomarhyde.com

they also have a huge assortment of other body fillers. you'd more than likely want to look in the lightweight filler section.

"Whattaya lookin' at? You're all a bunch of fvcking assholes. You know why? 'Cause you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fvcking fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what dat make you? Good? You're not good; you just know how to hide. Howda lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth--even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy. Come on; the last time you gonna see a bad guy like this, let me tell ya. Come on, make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through; you better get outta his way!"

PopcornPlaya is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when mixing, you mmay want to try some of the jumbo popsicle sticks (about 3/4" wide, regular popsicle stick length) you acn stir it with it, then use your spatula or whatever you are using to spread it to finsih mixing it. a body file is a huge time saver (i prefer to use just the blade as opposed to the handle apparatus they will try to sell you, just ask for body file refills). if you can't find a body file, you can also use a metal cutting hacksaw blade(look for one with rigid teeth)

"Whattaya lookin' at? You're all a bunch of fvcking assholes. You know why? 'Cause you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fvcking fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what dat make you? Good? You're not good; you just know how to hide. Howda lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth--even when I lie. So say goodnight to the bad guy. Come on; the last time you gonna see a bad guy like this, let me tell ya. Come on, make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through; you better get outta his way!"

Closed Thread