Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need Box Design Help - 1995 Toyota Camry

Ramblin is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need Box Design Help - 1995 Toyota Camry

Guys, I need a little help on a ported enclosure design. I'm building a small system for a colleauge's 17-year-old son. It's a lot of fun to help folks out that have never had any boom in their ride. The kid is excited! I can build anything, but need your help on some of the design specifics. I've looked through all the free box plans in the sticky, but can't find one that matches my space limitations.

I'm installing a DC Audio 15" Level 3 D2 sub, that is rated at 600W RMS, but will easily take 1000W according to folks in this forum. I haven't bought the amp yet, but will go with a quality amp that will put out 800-1000W RMS at 1 ohm. Like a DD M1a or Sundown SAE 1200.

I'd like to get some good lows out of this sub, so I'm thinking about 34 Hz tuning, but I'm very flexible on this. Here are the dimensions I have to stick with: The height would be 12" and the trunk side-to-side maximum is 38". The depth can me anything. For example, if we go 20" deep (front to back of the car), we can get around 4.0 cubes. I want the sub firing UP on one end or in the center. I want the port firing out of the 12" high long wall facing into teh car. The kid has a 60/40 rear seat so he can drop the "40" seat down and we can fire the port right into teh cabin. So to get your bearings, if you are standing outside the car looking into the trunk, the sub would be firing up on your left or center of the box, and the port would be firing away from you into the cabin on the right side of the box.

Can you help? You don't have to send me plans, but can if you want to. The minimum I will need are the box external dimensions, the port square inches, and the port length through the center line.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Keith
    keitharose@bellsouth.net

NMLegend19 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need Box Design Help - 1995 Toyota Camry

are you sure you want the port firing directly into the cabin? it'd probably sound a lot better firing out the back. also, you could probably go as low as 32hz on the tuning and hit the lows a little cleaner.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NMLegend19 View Post
    are you sure you want the port firing directly into the cabin? it'd probably sound a lot better firing out the back. also, you could probably go as low as 32hz on the tuning and hit the lows a little cleaner.
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah, the kid wants to lay the seat down and have it firing right at him. So I will oblige him. I'll take a look at the tuning also. I'm not stuck on any tuning. Just want it to sound the best it can sound in the situation he has with the Camry.

Keith

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey, I got a great design from Blasphemy. Thanks, man!

Keith

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

My 01 camry build history:

Online Car Audio Competition OCAC - Top Installs from around the World, Best Installers and Installation Shops

might help....

A couple things. If you build too high or too close to the back seats you'll lose a LOT of output keep a few inches for soundwaves to flow through. Also do NOT put amp rack up against the hole through the trunk to the rear seats.

Tuning to 27-28 plays very very low but for best results subs + port back or subs back and port(s) to the side seemed to be the best lows. The last box with port towards the cabin and subs facing rear was pretty solid too but in retrospect I'd have ported on the side or to the rear of the car if I had room.

The trunk space is pretty big, but you'll find if you go too high or too long you won't be able to get the box through the opening the way you'll have to angle it. 16.5" high is about max unless you keep the depth rather short or angle the top. Still I consistantly got 6-6.5 cube gross to fit so you should have plenty of room even with large/low tuned port.

Overall I found the camry one of the worst cars accoustically speaking I've ever owned. Good luck making that sound really loud and PM me link to your buildlog or questions. I put a lot of blood sweat and tears into mine.

on1wheel01 is offline Bang A Lang

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

u want the lows then do 30-32

REFS
    bought from nismos14,lask48180,wu501,teamsolo,thegreatestpenn, 1phatclipse,lorilee8284,Louisiana_CRX,woofercooker ,97maxima,Bad4Health
    sold to sotogrip,bobby32,rgplayer,mxer657,deathpenalty18,C ahm Rohn
    traded with grimreper912003,5cr4ppy
    1999 Durango 2 Memphis Mojo 15's Audiopipe ap3k
    4 Date Safe 75 ah batts Alpine hu. Lots of wangin

Closed Thread