Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help with a dual 10"

JohnJohn is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help with a dual 10"

OK here's the deal. I'm in high school, and car stereo is my new passion. I think it would be fun to build my own box, kinda my own little project. Only problem is I have no clue on dimensions, wood type, sealer, pretty much anything. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I need a dual 10" enclosure. I want a sealed box, unless you guys have better ideas. The subs I'll be putting in the box are 2 Audiobahn ALUM10Q. 800W RMS. These things are monsters. They are my "Beautiful Monsters". I'll just give you the "Enclosure Volumes Sealed" numbers. Minimum sealed space is .4(cubic feet) per sub, and max is .9(CF). Polyester Fill is 20%. 3dB Down(minimum sealed) is 50, and 3dB down (maximum sealed) is 44. I don't those last two numbers mean. So if you guys have dimensions, and everything I need to build a sweet box that would be awesome. Oh and I'm not on a huge budget here. I'm looking to spend no more than $100, or is it even worth it? Should I just go buy one?

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help with a dual 10"

You could easily build a sealed one for around 30 or so before covering it. Ported would probably be the way to go with audiobahns, but sealed is much simpler. use 3/4 MDF (medium density fiberboard), some decently skinny screws around an inch and a half-2 inches long. Silicon sealent around seams. either a speaker terminal or just run wire through a hole and seal it shut. you should also really countersink the screws, though the kit is somewhat expensive, i've got one from sears and its worked well, dont know how much it was, got it for xmas. but that should be about all you need, just search for box building or what not on the board and you'll find an endless amount of info.

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

Trixter is offline Keepin it Simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help with a dual 10"

I would do a ported box. I think they will sound best that way. I recommend a 4cu' box using 2 4" precision ports tuning the box to 30Hz. The precision ports can be found at www.partsexpress.com. (just do a search...they are under box building or something like that.) They also come with their own formula on how to figure out how long to make them. If you tune the box to 30Hz the tubes needs to be cut to 11". (I already did the math for you.) The port may seem a little pricey ($13/ea) but the are worth it. I have used them and they are awsome. If you use them your box need to be at least 20" deep because the ports need 4" between the port and the back of the box. (both flared ends make the port's total length 16")

Nosaj stated the basics of the materials you'll need. This is just what I would do. If you need more help PM me.

2006 Jeep Liberty
    Adire Audio, Cadence, Clarion, MB Quart

Lv = [(14630000 x R^2) / (Fb^2 x Vb)] - 1.463R
    *Vb = vol. in cu"
    **R = sq.rt. A / Pi (for square/slot port)

Closed Thread