Closed Thread

Reload Thread: can someone please help me with building a box for my single cab? a few questions to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

can someone please help me with building a box for my single cab? a few questions to.

ok so i want to build a box my first attempt was pretty much a fail as i dont know what im doing when i t comes to it nor do i know how to build a box to any kind of specifications? not to say the box isnt actually pretty strong it was made out of chip board which i know i know doesnt carry sound waves well and project bass well i pretty much built it out of boardom and to see if i could do it tho. NOW im getting more serious. i want to build a box for 2 10" Audio Q street duty sub woofers i really like the sound of 2 10" subs over a single 12 being they seem to have a crisper sound faster response and just sounds less sloppy. would you even recommenced 2 subs for the air space i have being a single cab truck? my amps will have to go in my camper shell there is no way around it. i think i want to make an adjustable port i think it can dump out below the seat or would that be a bad place to have vent? the thing is i have no idea how to build anything to what size its suppose to be or how to even really make a box the way they are suppose to be made. my dad is a general contractor so i have access to any tool ill need including air compressors nail guns drills skill saws jig saws levels squares tape measures table saws to name a few. anyway rag on me if you will here is my first box (attempt) i built out of messing around just so you can get an idea of about how big (or small) the box can be the one in the pic is the biggest i have to work with tho i guess i could go taller? ohh be sure to make fun of the "ports" too

MikeyF is offline It is what it is

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: can someone please help me with building a box for my single cab? a few questions

First of all, you need to be using 3/4 MDF for your type of build....

15" Sundown Z V2
    AQ2200
    Sundown 100.2
    CDT Com-426
    Alpine 9886
    2 C&D Batts
    Mechman 270A Alt
    Knu and Stinger wiring

Refs- 01Tundraon6s, ScottieJ, PsyschoAcoustics, RJesus, Wingsfreak9, Mads10Bass, 99grandprixGT, Kowboy, Basebalz13, Louisiana_CRX

kmanian is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Re: can someone please help me with building a box for my single cab? a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by DieselFanatic View Post
    ok so i want to build a box my first attempt was pretty much a fail as i dont know what im doing when i t comes to it nor do i know how to build a box to any kind of specifications? not to say the box isnt actually pretty strong it was made out of chip board which i know i know doesnt carry sound waves well and project bass well i pretty much built it out of boardom and to see if i could do it tho. NOW im getting more serious. i want to build a box for 2 10" Audio Q street duty sub woofers i really like the sound of 2 10" subs over a single 12 being they seem to have a crisper sound faster response and just sounds less sloppy. would you even recommenced 2 subs for the air space i have being a single cab truck? my amps will have to go in my camper shell there is no way around it. i think i want to make an adjustable port i think it can dump out below the seat or would that be a bad place to have vent? the thing is i have no idea how to build anything to what size its suppose to be or how to even really make a box the way they are suppose to be made. my dad is a general contractor so i have access to any tool ill need including air compressors nail guns drills skill saws jig saws levels squares tape measures table saws to name a few. anyway rag on me if you will here is my first box (attempt) i built out of messing around just so you can get an idea of about how big (or small) the box can be the one in the pic is the biggest i have to work with tho i guess i could go taller? ohh be sure to make fun of the "ports" too
    The substraight you use for the panels of your box don't "carry, or project the sound" the should actually be as "dead" as possible, with the main goal being ridgid.

2 -10" vs 1-12" where you say " crisper sound faster response and just sounds less sloppy" This has everything to do with design and build, and next to nothing to do with the size of the sub.

As for the size of you box "would you even recommenced 2 subs for the air space i have" use a tape and measure, give specifics of size, also what amps are you using?

It sounds to me like you need to do a whole lot of reading on these forums to help you understand some basis. It looks like you have a grasp on basic carpentry, and with time, trial and error you will get there.

GL

Mine is bigger than yours!

DieselFanatic is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kmanian View Post
    The substraight you use for the panels of your box don't "carry, or project the sound" the should actually be as "dead" as possible, with the main goal being ridgid.

2 -10" vs 1-12" where you say " crisper sound faster response and just sounds less sloppy" This has everything to do with design and build, and next to nothing to do with the size of the sub.

As for the size of you box "would you even recommenced 2 subs for the air space i have" use a tape and measure, give specifics of size, also what amps are you using?

It sounds to me like you need to do a whole lot of reading on these forums to help you understand some basis. It looks like you have a grasp on basic carpentry, and with time, trial and error you will get there.

GL

well the amp i have is **** i wont be useing it its too bulky and doesnt even put out a lot. but using an RE enclosure calculator to my specs of being able to build the biggest box i can i get 3.595 (Ft3) for my box volume.. that should be sufficient for 2 10's correct? im also going to be using audio q heavy duty subs and i think an AW2200D to power them. do you guys think this will bump? louder then the guys with the JL subs that i hear?

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Looks like you just had big rectangular holes in your box?

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at Ryan@RAM-Designs.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
    Looks like you just had big rectangular holes in your box?

that i did

ascitiesburn69 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DieselFanatic View Post
    that i did
    The box itself doesnt look TOOO bad. At least you got the angles to match up kind of.. and don't feel bad there was a point in everyone's car audio career where we didn't know what the hell ports did much less how to tune them.

HU: Alpine 9887
    Subs: 4x SA10s
    Amp:Audioque 3500.1 at .5

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ascitiesburn69 View Post
    The box itself doesnt look TOOO bad. At least you got the angles to match up kind of.. and don't feel bad there was a point in everyone's car audio career where we didn't know what the hell ports did much less how to tune them.
    thank you someone at least someone is giving me credit! hahahahaha i laughed at it when i was building it to so its all good.. im probably going to fill in the holes carpet it and try and make a few bucks x:

branham1127 is offline Matt Branham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Going with AQ is definitely a good start, atleast you're going the right direction and using quality equipment lol. As for the box size, that's actually pretty big for a single cab truck, I didn't know you could fit something like that in one lol. You should have plenty of room to build a proper ported box for a pair of 10's if you have 3.6 ft before displacements. You should do as kmanian said and give us the measurements of the box you had in there so we can help you find out exactly what you do have to work with, or give us the max dimensions that you want to use if you would like to go bigger like you said you could do. While you're waiting around you could read this thread
    How to build a professional looking box - Realm of Excursion
    It's a pretty good guide to give you the general idea of how to put a sub box together and helps you know what to use and some of what not to use.

2003 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab
    Head Unit: DNX-9960
    Mids/Highs: (2) pair of ID CXS64 V.2
    Mids/Highs Amps: American Bass SQ-945
    Subs: Pair of DC Lvl 5 18s
    Sub amp: American Bass 700.1
    260 amp Iraggi alternator (6) neg/ (6) pos Kicker 1/0
    D2400 Under the hood (6) D3100s, XS Power VCM
    Refs: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/463207-branham1127-feedback-thread.html

branham1127 is offline Matt Branham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ascitiesburn69 View Post
    I can agree with this.. First two boxes I built in high school I would be embarrassed to show someone...Fortunately I don't have pics of them anyway lol.. I actually got lucky and the second one SOMEHOW put out a decent amount of bass (or atleast I thought it did). I'm sure knowing the things I do now though, If I were to go back and listen to it I would laugh at myself pretty bad.

2003 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab
    Head Unit: DNX-9960
    Mids/Highs: (2) pair of ID CXS64 V.2
    Mids/Highs Amps: American Bass SQ-945
    Subs: Pair of DC Lvl 5 18s
    Sub amp: American Bass 700.1
    260 amp Iraggi alternator (6) neg/ (6) pos Kicker 1/0
    D2400 Under the hood (6) D3100s, XS Power VCM
    Refs: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/463207-branham1127-feedback-thread.html

Ridintwo6s is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

those arent ports lol, those are holes cut in the baffle lol.

and simple mathematics can tell you everything you need to know about box volumes, cubic feet, etc.

Closed Thread