Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New Box for L5's

Cmmuse is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New Box for L5's

So right now I have 2 12" L5's in a Kicker Box. I've heard that if I build a new, custom box then It could be a little louder. I've heard that the subs facing up and the ports facing towards the back would be the best bet. Right now I have the subs facing the back and the port to the side. I've never built a box before so If I could get some help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

p.s - my box right now is 16-3/8"TD x 19-9/16"BD x 32-3/8"W x 16"H and its in the back of a Jeep Commander, so it fits easily and I could use more space if needed.

2007 Jeep Commander
    (2) 12" Kicker L5's
    Hifonics 1208D
    Stinger SPV44 Battery

S.P.L. is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Box for L5's

Your right, an enclosure is just as important as the sub. Kicker L5 and L7 subs are pretty wicked but if you don't have the right enclosure then your probably loosing out on some sound quality. There are some really great pre fab enclosures out there. Most people try to build their own but don't realize that a lot goes into building an enclosure properly. A high quality enclosure should have full dado's and mitered edges. The vents should be divided and separate chamber for a dual box. However if you are going to build your own enclosure I would recommend trying to replicate something similar to the image below This particular enclosure is designed specifically for L5/L7 subs and its coated with bedliner. The coating actually helps strengthen the box and reduce bending and flexing.

Here is the link for the image is Untitled Document

psych0ticnemes1 is offline Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

A quality box does not need to have dados, rabbets or miters. A quality box can be glued and clamped, glued and screwed, glued and nailed, whatever. The quality part is in the design and its accuracy.

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psych0ticnemes1 View Post
    A quality box does not need to have dados, rabbets or miters. A quality box can be glued and clamped, glued and screwed, glued and nailed, whatever. The quality part is in the design and its accuracy.
    This.

Shoot for around 5ft^3 for and tuned to 33-35hz, with 70-80in^2 of port area.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at Ryan@RAM-Designs.com

DonH is offline .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

from my experience with theese subs they do not like the lower 30's the upper 38-39 is where it is at for those in about 2.25ft^3 per sub

Quote Originally Posted by chillin View Post
    How do you bridge a mono?
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopdan View Post
    throw it off one.
    feedback thread:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/402726-d-man1s-official-feedback-thread-2.html

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by d_man1 View Post
    from my experience with theese subs they do not like the lower 30's the upper 38-39 is where it is at for those in about 2.25ft^3 per sub
    Weird, I liked them better tuned low...personal preference, I guess. Maybe it was the vehicle as well.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at Ryan@RAM-Designs.com

DonH is offline .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

could be. ive done about 6 boxes for diff. cars. one suv. the suv liked the lower tuning. the trunk cars loved the higher tuning. aero's ftw lol

Quote Originally Posted by chillin View Post
    How do you bridge a mono?
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopdan View Post
    throw it off one.
    feedback thread:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/402726-d-man1s-official-feedback-thread-2.html

S.P.L. is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are absolutely right the design of an enclosure factors heavily in determining the quality of a finished product. You are also correct when you say a box can be glued and clamped or screwed and nailed; these are the materials that hold a box together every enclosure needs them (glue being the most vital material). What you are failing to recognize is that dados, rabbets, and miters are part of the design. They are not necessary to build enclosure as you point out in your comment, however they do improve the performance and quality of an enclosure. For example dados help reinforce side panels and reduce bending and flexing. Mitered edges reduces air leaks etc... You see dados rabbets and mitered edges are actually all part of a well designed enclosure. The design of a product incorporates various factors, construction being one of them.

Closed Thread