Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Tools/supplies needed for a box building shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tools/supplies needed for a box building shop

Im 17 yr's old in highschool and ive taken 6 months of training in a carpentry class at a career training center (not wood shop at my HS). My dad used to be a carpenter so i already have alot of wood working tools and im going to set up a workshop in my garage so i can build custom speaker boxes for fun. Im really viewing it as a hobby though rather than a business so im not looking to spend thousands.

So heres what i think i need...
    What misc. items am i missing or is there something better for one of the items i listed?
    .table saw
    .circular saw
    .speed square
    .box building program,suggestions please?
    .MDF for the boxes and cheap construction grade plywood for practicing on
    .Router
    .orbital/belt sander

And heres what im unsure of
    1.what type of glue is best to use to seal all edges?
    2.Whats the best way to mark the lines and cut them since speaker boxes need to be EXTREMELY accurate for everything to fit and sound proper. Im always accurate within 1/16'' but would you suggest i use a laser to travel along the wood and cut along that,snap a line or just mark it old fashion?
    3.For cutting holes do you suggest a router with an attachment to cut perfect circles or a jigsaw?
    Last edited by neverfinished; 02-27-2010 at 01:32 AM.

kmanian is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Re: Tools/supplies needed for a box building shop

search, you will find everything there

gl

Mine is bigger than yours!

kyleorsini is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if your dads a carpenter and youve taken classes shouldnt you know what you need..

2008 toyota tundra c-max trd
    6inch procomp lift, 35" rubber on 20"s

pioneer avic x930bt,
    focal polyglass 165vb. front stage
    some image dynamics coaxs for the rear
    ssa icon 10"
    aq 2200
    ppi pcx2400

neverfinished is offline newbie

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ill just research it on-line,thought itd be kinda fun to hear what you guys had to say but nvm
    Last edited by neverfinished; 02-27-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

for glue i use titebond original wood glue. and my first box was off like 1/4 off on some of the peaces all we did was just put alot of glue there and a bunch of screws and it was air tite

supermaxx123 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neverfinished View Post
    Im 17 yr's old in highschool and ive taken 6 months of training in a carpentry class at a career training center (not wood shop at my HS). My dad used to be a carpenter so i already have alot of wood working tools and im going to set up a workshop in my garage so i can build custom speaker boxes for fun. Im really viewing it as a hobby though rather than a business so im not looking to spend thousands.

So heres what i think i need...
    What misc. items am i missing or is there something better for one of the items i listed?
    .table saw
    .circular saw
    .speed square
    .box building program,suggestions please?
    .MDF for the boxes and cheap construction grade plywood for practicing on
    .Router
    .orbital/belt sander

And heres what im unsure of
    1.what type of glue is best to use to seal all edges?
    2.Whats the best way to mark the lines and cut them since speaker boxes need to be EXTREMELY accurate for everything to fit and sound proper. Im always accurate within 1/16'' but would you suggest i use a laser to travel along the wood and cut along that,snap a line or just mark it old fashion?
    3.For cutting holes do you suggest a router with an attachment to cut perfect circles or a jigsaw?
    i'm pretty sure if you dads a carpenter, your pretty much set. nothing else you need other than measurements really. i use a jigsaw for holes or holesaws for small holes, i would like to get myself a jig for my router but the price scares me, i might make one one day if im bored enough.
    no need to mark anyhting if your table saw is accurate and has a good fence.
    i would suggest bar clamps, anywhere from 12"-48" they help, at least they have helped me quite a bit.
    Last edited by supermaxx123; 02-27-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling :/

Bought from: tc3k101, vitveet, chico305, pieper88, Toxic Tuan, rusty_armadillo, tristanmay
    Traded with: modskwod, jmkanek
    Sold to: smd4life, AQHDC3, fastfocus00

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauliesnite93 View Post
    for glue i use titebond original wood glue. and my first box was off like 1/4 off on some of the peaces all we did was just put alot of glue there and a bunch of screws and it was air tite
    1/4 off? dang lol. All the sits say to use carpenters glue so ill probably just use that.

Quote Originally Posted by supermaxx123 View Post
    i'm pretty sure if you dads a carpenter, your pretty much set. nothing else you need other than measurements really. i use a jigsaw for holes or holesaws for small holes, i would like to get myself a jig for my router but the price scares me, i might make one one day if im bored enough.
    no need to mark anyhting if your table saw is accurate and has a good fence.
    i would suggest bar clamps, anywhere from 12"-48" they help, at least they have helped me quite a bit.
    yep i should be pretty set, im going to need to pick up some clamps though so ill check out the ones you suggested. I know i can cut wood pretty well but i have 2 more things i need

1.when i was researching how to build a box on-line everyone says to use a caulking gun with silicone sealant and to also use glue to seal the edges. So do i use silicone then glue or just 1 and if only use 1 which 1 do i use? lol kinda confusing sorry

2.Whats the more user friendly subwoofer box design software as i know almost NOTHING about ''tuning'' a box

Twisted_0912 is offline .........................

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

use titebond II for glue. if your cuts are accurate you dont need anything to seal the edges. your dads a carpenter and he doesnt have any clamps?

I build Enclosures PM me

Refs:
    Spy(Bought from),Goodie(traded With),Benner410 (enclosure),Timbo12(enclosure),TheMan007(Enclosure ),Upzaw2000(x3)(bought from),Bobby32(Enclosure),Tacovic(Enclosure),KoolWh ipMan(Traded With),lilmaniac2 (bought from),MarkyMark(Enclosure), HypnoticCure(Traded with),AngryOscar(Enclosure), MisterGrubbs(Traded With),LoggedOut(Enclosure x4/Traded With), Andrios(enclosure), bigbangtheory(Enclosure),Retoaudioinc(traded with), blaze383(sold to), Snow90(Enclosure), Serpent710(traded with), MysticStyl3z(sold to),cwill5(Bought from), Kingkongjr(Enclosure/Traded with), BrandonB (traded With), Moo_Awn(Bought From), Slam330(enclosure),18inchjeepin(sold to)

ajspellm is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe you usually glue all the pieces you put on the go back and seal all the seams with the silicone to make sure that you have a air tight box. I am building a box right now and am waiting for my silicone to dry so I can go out and paint my port before fastening it. Have you ever made a box before or first time? I just do my boxes when I get new subs but I have found it a lot easier all around by just having where you buy your mdf just having them cut the wood. Mdf makes a hell of a mess cutting it at home and I dont like to clean it up lol. I had all of my pieces cut today for free at lowes. The guy forgot how many cuts and he just said dont worry about it. I guess if you are doing it as a hobby though you wont mind. Anyway have fun with it and do a build log of your first box.

maritoze is offline Jedi Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're the first person I've see from SJ on here. Good luck with your box building. Titebond II is what I use too. Maybe a brad nailer if you don't have one, I prefer it to screws. Practice practice practice my friend.
    Last edited by maritoze; 02-27-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Retard spelling error

schackel is offline College Bound: Cal Poly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hmmmmmmm

$480 a year??? you're an idiot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neverfinished View Post
    1/4 off? dang lol. All the sits say to use carpenters glue so ill probably just use that.

yep i should be pretty set, im going to need to pick up some clamps though so ill check out the ones you suggested. I know i can cut wood pretty well but i have 2 more things i need

1.when i was researching how to build a box on-line everyone says to use a caulking gun with silicone sealant and to also use glue to seal the edges. So do i use silicone then glue or just 1 and if only use 1 which 1 do i use? lol kinda confusing sorry

2.Whats the more user friendly subwoofer box design software as i know almost NOTHING about ''tuning'' a box
    just build sealed. I used to use silicone before i would put top on but i feel the glue should work on it's own. using silicone won't hurt, just add to price and time and if your in no hurry and dont mind another $20(for a good cualking gun) then go for it. most online calculator work as far as tuning, for frequency response i use winisd but i've heard that program *****, i still use it lol.
    a harbor frieght will have the bar clamps you need, i spent about $70 on them but i feel i need more.

Bought from: tc3k101, vitveet, chico305, pieper88, Toxic Tuan, rusty_armadillo, tristanmay

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted_0912 View Post
    use titebond II for glue. if your cuts are accurate you dont need anything to seal the edges. your dads a carpenter and he doesnt have any clamps?
    lol he WAS a carpenter about 20 years ago. I still have alot of tools like table saw,several circular saws,speed squares and so on but i have to find it in my mess of a garage. I'll check out that glue thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ajspellm View Post
    I believe you usually glue all the pieces you put on the go back and seal all the seams with the silicone to make sure that you have a air tight box. I am building a box right now and am waiting for my silicone to dry so I can go out and paint my port before fastening it. Have you ever made a box before or first time? I just do my boxes when I get new subs but I have found it a lot easier all around by just having where you buy your mdf just having them cut the wood. Mdf makes a hell of a mess cutting it at home and I dont like to clean it up lol. I had all of my pieces cut today for free at lowes. The guy forgot how many cuts and he just said dont worry about it. I guess if you are doing it as a hobby though you wont mind. Anyway have fun with it and do a build log of your first box.
    alrite thanks and once i clear up a spot in my garage ill definitley make a build log of my first box. I have made a box before but it was a joke before i was really into car audio at all.

Quote Originally Posted by maritoze View Post
    You're the first person I've see from SJ on here. Good luck with your box building. Titebond II is what I use too. Maybe a brad nailer if you don't have one, I prefer it to screws. Practice practice practice my friend.
    SJ FTW haha, Im going to stick to screws for now just because if i decide to modify anything its easier to get them out.

Quote Originally Posted by schackel View Post
    hmmmmmmm
    ok?

just build sealed. I used to use silicone before i would put top on but i feel the glue should work on it's own. using silicone won't hurt, just add to price and time and if your in no hurry and dont mind another $20(for a good cualking gun) then go for it. most online calculator work as far as tuning, for frequency response i use winisd but i've heard that program *****, i still use it lol.
    a harbor frieght will have the bar clamps you need, i spent about $70 on them but i feel i need more.
    I already got a few top notch caulking gun's so thats no issue, Ill check out harbor tools for the clamps thanks, but theres none of em local for me so ill probaly just use home depot if they have comparable prices/products. I have 2 friends that need boxes so ill probably start out with making them boxes for there 12'' and 10'' sub's. I just need to learn the terminology for these box building program it feels like im reading chinese lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i paid about $5-$9 a clamp, depending on size, i have gone to lowes a couple times and home depot and never even thought of looking at prices. GL with your first boxes, it's really not that difficult.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i paid about $5-$9 a clamp, depending on size, i have gone to lowes a couple times and home depot and never even thought of looking at prices. GL with your first boxes, it's really not that difficult.
    thanks last thing i need is to learn how to use the programs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast