Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Slot ports that exit the same distance from the rear as they are wide???? HELP

mendon mafia is offline 2 12's 6+kW Chrysler300M

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slot ports that exit the same distance from the rear as they are wide???? HELP

Ok so im using the re calculator to get some baseline designs for my next projects and im wondering what is the deal when you make the port bend 2 length 0" in length?

it says on the re site that you are still acting as bent using the .75" of the thickness of the wood as the port bend 2 piece.

basically i want to know if I am the same distance from the back of the box as is equal to the port width do i get to count the bend in the port length or is it just the length of the port wall? will it still function like a bent port? should i put a 45 or a curve in the corner as like a bent port?

How much farther from the back of the box do i need to be for it to act as a straight port and not need a 45 or curve?

Ive designed a box like this for me friend before and it turned out great but i think it was lucky on the tuning, i cant remember how i calculated it.

refs: ebaker, its_bacon12, jando86, thedukey42 , WrenchGuy, jaredspl, teenapp, MisterGrubbs, BushJ311, fozzy2134
    System: Poineer 590ib headunit (soon upgrading to 790bt)
    2 12" RD Alpha V.3's (soon upgrading to konaki 9512 hybrids) powered by 2 Atomic 3000.1d's
    Polk mm6 front components powered by a Soundmagus CP-91 @ 4ohm bridged. JBL/Infinity Hybrid rear components. hu power
    200 amp alt and 2 stinger spv 70's (more pending voltage drop)
    Current output: 144.9 db using new 09 alpha v3's - on music with 1 3k - song: haters everywhere-two five, Chrysler 300M.

psych0ticnemes1 is online now Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Slot ports that exit the same distance from the rear as they are wide???? HELP

The port actually extends past the port piece like this:

Port piece length + port width + width of wood = Total port length (22.75")

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

on1wheel01 is offline Bang A Lang

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Slot ports that exit the same distance from the rear as they are wide???? HELP

psych0ticnemes1 to the rescue again lol good info

REFS
    bought from nismos14,lask48180,wu501,teamsolo,thegreatestpenn, 1phatclipse,lorilee8284,Louisiana_CRX,woofercooker ,97maxima,Bad4Health
    sold to sotogrip,bobby32,rgplayer,mxer657,deathpenalty18,C ahm Rohn
    traded with grimreper912003,5cr4ppy
    1999 Durango 2 Memphis Mojo 15's Audiopipe ap3k
    4 Date Safe 75 ah batts Alpine hu. Lots of wangin

psych0ticnemes1 is online now Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I do what I can.

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks.

so how far from the back do i need to make it to be considered a straight port?

also when making it like shown above would it be beneficial to add a 45 or curved section?

refs: ebaker, its_bacon12, jando86, thedukey42 , WrenchGuy, jaredspl, teenapp, MisterGrubbs, BushJ311, fozzy2134
    2 12" RD Alpha V.3's (soon upgrading to konaki 9512 hybrids) powered by 2 Atomic 3000.1d's
    Polk mm6 front components powered by a Soundmagus CP-91 @ 4ohm bridged. JBL/Infinity Hybrid rear components. hu power
    Current output: 144.9 db using new 09 alpha v3's - on music with 1 3k - song: haters everywhere-two five, Chrysler 300M.

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mendon mafia View Post
    also when making it like shown above would it be beneficial to add a 45 or curved section?
    Either or will help air flow rather than having just a 90* corner.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at Ryan@RAM-Designs.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
    Either or will help air flow rather than having just a 90* corner.
    ok so now for the how far away do i need to be before it becomes a straight port, surely 6.5 inch for a 6" wide port wont be enough, how much is?

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mendon mafia View Post
    ok so now for the how far away do i need to be before it becomes a straight port, surely 6.5 inch for a 6" wide port wont be enough, how much is?
    I couldn't tell you how much further it has to be, or what % more than the width of the port it has to be...I just tend to either keep it a safe distance from the corner, or use the corner.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at Ryan@RAM-Designs.com

Closed Thread