Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

custom box versus factory box, kicker dcvr12

So, we've got a DCVR12 2ohm kicker setup, straight from the factory. How much would a custom made box for the two CVRs improve their sound and performance over the factory DCVR12 box? And what should it be tuned to? I've read that the factory box is tuned to 38hz. Is that too high? Lastly, it is being fed approx. 1000watts rms (so it claims) by a Valor VPA801. Would a higher quality amp, such as something by AQ or eD, with similar output increase the output, sq, or performance of the subs enough to justify buying one?

I know it doesn't fit the topic perfect, but I figured asking everything at once would be much more simple

hatedonmostly is offline throwin' hunnits, hunnits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Re: custom box versus factory box, kicker dcvr12

38 Hz sounds about right for some Kickers. In my opinion. Also depends on what the airspace is on the box compared to what the subs recommend.

A better amp would certainly help, I noticed a huge improvement switching from a Hifonics 1200 to a AQ 1200.

supermaxx123 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

so you order kicker straight from the factory? i would think kicker would know there subs best. tuning all depends on the listener, so i cant really say what will sound better.
    eg: if i listen to rock music and i switch to rap will it sound better?
    its all listeners choice and really up to you. Do you feel your lacking higher end bass? are you lacking lows? It is also really easy to build a "custom box" wrong and have crappy sound.
    if your willing to spend money on quality equipment, do it. you cant go wrong with an amp proven to be good, known to last, easy to re-sell, something everybody should want.
    Laslty, whats Valor?

Bought from: tc3k101, vitveet, chico305, pieper88, Toxic Tuan, rusty_armadillo, tristanmay
    Traded with: modskwod, jmkanek
    Sold to: smd4life, AQHDC3, fastfocus00

hatedonmostly is offline throwin' hunnits, hunnits

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Valor makes some crappy indash units...check Sonic

supermaxx123 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by l4yfr4me View Post
    Valor makes some crappy indash units...check Sonic
    so same for amps? lol

Bought from: tc3k101, vitveet, chico305, pieper88, Toxic Tuan, rusty_armadillo, tristanmay
    Traded with: modskwod, jmkanek
    Sold to: smd4life, AQHDC3, fastfocus00

psych0ticnemes1 is offline Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

I have noticed a huge change when going from store bought to custom as far as enclosures are concerned, but there have also been times when there hasn't been much of a change. For the cost of some wood and glue, I would say it is worth anyone's time to experiment.

Good luck.

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

faaaaq is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the replies. You would figure kicker knows best, but their box for the dcvr12 is the same dual 12 box they use for all their 12inch subs. Someone who isn't busy could compare the dimensions of the dcvr12 with the airspace requirements of two 12inch cvrs. I'm a bit busy today so I prolly won't have the time to. You won't be able to find the exact airspace in the stock box tho, they do not provide that info. I've heard people say the kicker box is too small and tuned too high tho. Any recommendations on tuning frequency if we do get a custom box? It would be for all types of music, rap, metal, some oldskool rock, some pop, etc.

kr15 is offline Polluting Residentials

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

i think that the kicker box is tuned slightly high, but thats based on personal taste. also have heard many times that they are too small, hence the polyfill which supposedly mimics are larger enclosure..from kickers end, building a prefab as small as possible, especially with cvr's, was prabably aimed toward sales. Being able to reach more consumers by being able to fit more applications. those preloaded kicker boxes are everywhere from hatchbacks to suvs and everything in between

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kr15 View Post
    i think that the kicker box is tuned slightly high, but thats based on personal taste. also have heard many times that they are too small, hence the polyfill which supposedly mimics are larger enclosure..from kickers end, building a prefab as small as possible, especially with cvr's, was prabably aimed toward sales. Being able to reach more consumers by being able to fit more applications. those preloaded kicker boxes are everywhere from hatchbacks to suvs and everything in between
    well, i figured the airspace to be about 4.48cubic feet, which is to spec for the cvr subs (1.75 to 2.25 per sub). ive seen videos of dual 12 inch cvrs powered by 400 watt kicker amps doing some serious pounding (in a normal coupe style vehicle), way more than we are getting. Maybe the videos just make them seem to be louder and harder hitting :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

i ran 2cvrs getting about 450-500rms each off a fosgate amp in that ported box. It got fairly loud, but the sq wasnt that good and low note extension was lacking. to the people who dont know any better, they thought my system was top quality, but to my ear, it was lacking in multiple aspects.
    i guess it was pounding for an entry level daily driver, but i cant give it much more credit than that

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yea, this setup is in my buddys taurus. It gets loud but I can tell it doesn't sound that good. It impresses everyone else, but I'm used to high end systems. In my car ill be getting a Fi BTL12 with an AQ amp. Your kicker setup is identical other than your amp brand. Seems the sound we are getting is just typical to this setup. Good to know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

yea, i think thats pretty standard for them kicker setups. they get loud, but with marginal sq and low note extension. Certainly, its viable for entry level tho. They guy i sold them kickers to loves em, so they have there "niche" so to speak...i love loud, but i gotta have some type of sq and low notes are a must...i listen to too much 36mafia to not value the lows...haha

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lil Wyte as well. Some of the lower notes feel as though they are shaking the car like an earthquake, but most of the low notes that should be there are almost nonexistant. my car will have the Fi BTL in a bandpass box ported to the passenger footwell tuned to about 32hz (i drive a Fiero, so, not much room for subs lol). once i get that it should satisfy my need for loudness that my buddys kicker setup (and my current Boss BASS1200 setup... D cant satisfy. I am trying to convince my buddy to get either two Fi Q12s or one Fi Q15 (or 18, whatever the biggest Q is), but he is reluctant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

many people are reluctant to change at first, until they hear one of these great products

Closed Thread

User Tag List