Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sealed box too small wont go low

I have a regular cab ranger and i built a sealed box as big as i could go with the space i have. I built it for 2 shallow mount 10s, but the box only has ~.85cuft for the 2 to share and minimum recommended is .75cubes a piece. I just went along and built the box, not quite sure what they would sound like. Well the outcome was they are really punchy and play nice on quick kick drum beats, but anything below about 45Hz they sound like crap unless you crank the volume way down.

I was thinking about taking one out and just running the one, but was wondering if there are other options to get the box to play lower. How much of a difference does poly-fill make? What about unhooking the other one and using it as a (can't think of what its called right now, like a dummy sub usually without a motor structure). How terrible do way undersized ported boxes sound?

slapperz is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: sealed box too small wont go low

Heres a ported box that isnt so big? it says tuned to 38 hz which isnt too high but im skeptical about it actlly being at that tuning. Any wiser people like to chime in?

DUAL 12" PORTED MDF SUBWOOFER BOX SUB WOOFER ENCLOSURE - eBay (item 360231782759 end time Mar-04-10 18:23:43 PST)

on1wheel01 is offline Bang A Lang

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I say try one sub see how it is. Also slapperz make your own thread dont jack this one. and 38 hz is kinda high for daily

REFS
    bought from nismos14,lask48180,wu501,teamsolo,thegreatestpenn, 1phatclipse,lorilee8284,Louisiana_CRX,woofercooker ,97maxima,Bad4Health
    sold to sotogrip,bobby32,rgplayer,mxer657,deathpenalty18,C ahm Rohn
    traded with grimreper912003,5cr4ppy
    1999 Durango 2 Memphis Mojo 15's Audiopipe ap3k
    4 Date Safe 75 ah batts Alpine hu. Lots of wangin

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    353 Post(s)

The term you want is passive radiator. That won't work as it will be tuned super high ( passive radiators are much heavier than most subs to have a very low f/s, often a slow as 4hz to get a good box tuning in some cases) Also it'll bottom out very easy. Polyfill works very well in small enclosures. You may find it to work well in your application in general, the smaller the box the better it works. Also just running one sub in this case might fix the bottom end too. Also invert mounting, if that's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

SW9152 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

this is what it looks like,if that helps. if i filled it what size would it act like approximately and what should i use to fill it.

Slo_Ride is offline Take It Easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    806 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    The term you want is passive radiator. That won't work as it will be tuned super high ( passive radiators are much heavier than most subs to have a very low f/s, often a slow as 4hz to get a good box tuning in some cases) Also it'll bottom out very easy. Polyfill works very well in small enclosures. You may find it to work well in your application in general, the smaller the box the better it works. Also just running one sub in this case might fix the bottom end too. Also invert mounting, if that's a possibility.
    try this

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

SW9152 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

is there a cheap substitute i can use like pillow stuffing or is poly fill special? how far would one pound get me?

spltuscon is offline Kick-*** box builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah pick up poly pillow stuffing from Walmart or a craft store, it works fine. One pound (the whole package) should be just about right for your box. It makes the box seem about 20-30% larger. It should help somewhat, I would try that first and see if your happy with it.

Dave The Box Guy

154.4 db USACi Stock 601-1800- NH S.R. 2009
    152.4 db legal in WCP1 TNESPL 2010
    150.9 db legal in Stock 1 NESPL 2010
    150.5 Street C Db Drag 2010

2010 Woofer Cooker Pro 1 champ
    2009 NESPL Competitor of the Year

Ray21 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Polyfill is cheap... should be no more than $5.

Stuff the box with it loosely and see how it sounds. If it still doesn't sound that great, then I would just run one of the subs.

'10 F150 - 3Sixty.2 / MTX 2150x / MTX 275x / Blueprint XBL^2 Subs/ Boston SL80

REFs: flakko, Naxis2k1, JCJetta, jrgreene1968, NoPh33rRaCiNg, VTECnicalAccord, jadon087, sundownz, lmllopez, Toxic Tuan

Closed Thread

User Tag List