Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Port length calculators????

mendon mafia is offline 2 12's 6+kW Chrysler300M

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Port length calculators????

Which one is the best.

carstereo, RE, and 12volt all yeild the exact same results. 3 cubes net 48" area yeild 31.5" length for a regular port. Is there another calc thats better?

carstereo has a feature to account for a slot port. Yields 29.5 length for the above box parameters.

Is the calc on carstereo accurate when accounting for a slot port? Is this why the RE calc is said to be way off, since it only allows you to design a slot port but they dont shorten the port accordingly.

IIRC for a slot you can extend the effective length of the vent half the width of the port longer that the actual length, on both sides. IE for a 4" wide port you would add 4" in length (2" on for each opening)

Please correct me if im wrong.

Now for a kerned port how do you determine the length? IIRC its half the length of the flared section.

Again please correct me if in wrong.

refs: ebaker, its_bacon12, jando86, thedukey42 , WrenchGuy, jaredspl, teenapp, MisterGrubbs, BushJ311, fozzy2134
    System: Poineer 590ib headunit (soon upgrading to 790bt)
    2 12" RD Alpha V.3's (soon upgrading to konaki 9512 hybrids) powered by 2 Atomic 3000.1d's
    Polk mm6 front components powered by a Soundmagus CP-91 @ 4ohm bridged. JBL/Infinity Hybrid rear components. hu power
    200 amp alt and 2 stinger spv 70's (more pending voltage drop)
    Current output: 144.9 db using new 09 alpha v3's - on music with 1 3k - song: haters everywhere-two five, Chrysler 300M.

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Re: Port length calculators????

I personally use the carstereo.com calcs, and cross reference them with the winISD program....they're within 1" of each other 99% of the time. I believe higher tuning(50hz+) starts to make the carstereo.com calc get a little off course.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

S.B.C. is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
    I personally use the carstereo.com calcs, and cross reference them with the winISD program....they're within 1" of each other 99% of the time. I believe higher tuning(50hz+) starts to make the carstereo.com calc get a little off course.
    OMG!! its the guy from million dollar listing!!

1st Incriminator Audio Rep in the US
    Team SBC
    Team IA

The Streetbeat Customz Alternator Line is now Available!
    Refs - ssackett- parker g - forceww- slam- dbman150-annarbor84 - kylediablo - theMessenjah44 - Korn4life - One Bad MOFO -CrazyKenKid -Buck- Itnelavffej- Phemps - Flex'd- jnralp00 - brandonbm- AudioXtremes- 1phatclipse Strakele- bassaholic- Curse - Owners1-Villeza1-jf2oo6- DaRevrin- DDbump - adixon816 and 30 others

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    OMG!! its the guy from million dollar listing!!
    Whenever I'm not selling real estate, I like to dabble in car audio...in my Bentley, of course.

S.B.C. is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whenever I'm not selling real estate, I like to dabble in car audio...in my Bentley, of course.
    I always knew you were a highclass pimp!

1st Incriminator Audio Rep in the US
    Team SBC
    Team IA

The Streetbeat Customz Alternator Line is now Available!
    Refs - ssackett- parker g - forceww- slam- dbman150-annarbor84 - kylediablo - theMessenjah44 - Korn4life - One Bad MOFO -CrazyKenKid -Buck- Itnelavffej- Phemps - Flex'd- jnralp00 - brandonbm- AudioXtremes- 1phatclipse Strakele- bassaholic- Curse - Owners1-Villeza1-jf2oo6- DaRevrin- DDbump - adixon816 and 30 others

sub-FATHER is offline Resurecting this sport

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where the Competition begins

Colorado Usaci SPL & Streetbeat Record holder!
    [IMG]http://www.soundoff.org/season_results/statesplrecords.pdf

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks yea i forgot about winisd. For me all 4 come out within 0.1" of each other. unless I uses the slot port feature on carstereo.com which is 2" shorter than all the others.

refs: ebaker, its_bacon12, jando86, thedukey42 , WrenchGuy, jaredspl, teenapp, MisterGrubbs, BushJ311, fozzy2134
    2 12" RD Alpha V.3's (soon upgrading to konaki 9512 hybrids) powered by 2 Atomic 3000.1d's
    Polk mm6 front components powered by a Soundmagus CP-91 @ 4ohm bridged. JBL/Infinity Hybrid rear components. hu power
    Current output: 144.9 db using new 09 alpha v3's - on music with 1 3k - song: haters everywhere-two five, Chrysler 300M.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Same exact as carsterso.

I dont trust any of these. Why do ppl say the re calc is off? so far there all the same for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

I like this one, but it's nice having a box volume and solid object calculator as well, like at carstereo.com, to be able to calculate box volume and port displacement at the same time.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like this one, but it's nice having a box volume and solid object calculator as well, like at carstereo.com, to be able to calculate box volume and port displacement at the same time.
    Its the exact same as the carstereo.com. calc which means its the same as all the others.

Why do ppl say that one calc is off or better than another when there all the same? Obviously you need to account for driver displacement in all cases but just cuz you forgot to do that doesn't mean the calc is off. Im guessing this is where most people have issues with the RE calc.

Now can anyone answer any of my other questions?

IIRC for a slot you can extend the effective length of the vent half the width of the port longer that the actual length, on both sides. IE for a 4" wide port you would add 4" in length (2" on for each opening)

Please correct me if im wrong.

Now for a kerned port how do you determine the length? IIRC its half the length of the flared section.

Again please correct me if in wrong.

sub-FATHER is offline Resurecting this sport

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its a mathmatical equation they all use, that equation is set in stone. they should all be very similar

Where the Competition begins

Colorado Usaci SPL & Streetbeat Record holder!
    [IMG]http://www.soundoff.org/season_results/statesplrecords.pdf

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok so its settled the calcs are all the same.

Now help me out here:

IIRC for a slot you can extend the effective length of the vent half the width of the port longer that the actual length, on both sides. IE for a 4" wide port you would add 4" in length (2" on for each opening) or is it just for the opening on the inside of the box for just 2" added.

Now for a kerned port how do you determine the length? IIRC its half the length of the flared section but this may be for flared i forget.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IIRC for a slot you can extend the effective length of the vent half the width of the port longer that the actual length, on both sides. IE for a 4" wide port you would add 4" in length (2" on for each opening) or is it just for the opening on the inside of the box for just 2" of effective port added.

Now for a kerned port how do you determine the length? IIRC its half the length of the flared section but this may be for flared aero port. Please Remind ME

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Question... When using a calculator such as this, is the "box volume" the NET volume or do you have to account for displacements? For example, if I want a NET volume of 4.5cf how do I account for port displacement if I dont know how long the port will be?

Refs- DiabolicBass, nismos14,IonSQL,massiveaudiocw,sxpimpin,sundownz,8 7gr, nissan,Louie68,Tips,Trell,integra88,Ellsworthz,bas ebalz13,lil98cabrio,woofercooker,pro-rabbit,Louisiana_CRX,MANTI5,eL_wEEnIe,bubbagumper6 ,jco1385,95saturn,ace_800,micah_jones,assassin1840 ,beat-down69,RAM_Designs,whitedragon551,KTMrida4life

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch86 View Post
    Question... When using a calculator such as this, is the "box volume" the NET volume or do you have to account for displacements? For example, if I want a NET volume of 4.5cf how do I account for port displacement if I dont know how long the port will be?
    the volume used is after all displacements (subs and port) which is NET volume. Gross volume would be box volume with port and subs added.

When you enter 3 cubes it assumes that is after port and sub displacement.

Closed Thread