Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Jmac, please help on my box, I think I ****ed up

BiaBia is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SOMEONE help, I think I really messed up my box

I think I ****ed up bad, because I couldn't find any information on how to build a port and nobody could really help me. So my dumb *** decided to just build a box.

Dimensions are.

I don't know how to port a box and I just decided it would look cool (i'm a ****ing genius). Now, someone said it could hurt my sub, now I'm not even gonna play it until I get your approval/advice. What should I do?
    Last edited by BiaBia; 11-05-2003 at 09:22 PM.

-Alex
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    AIM - Biabia322
    E-mail - ulyessz@hotmail.com

1993 300zx Slicktop - Undergoing TT transplant
    HU - Pioneer Premier 740mp
    Front Stage - Rainbow SLC 265
    Front Stage Amp - US Amps 800.2
    Subwoofers - (2) 10'' Sundown SD-1's
    Subwoofers Amp - Sundown 100.4

"When my GF's 9-year-old niece told me that she would "pop" me in the mouth if I told her to be quiet again, I retorted, "Pop me in the mouth and I'll pop your cherry." -Jmac

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Jmac, please help on my box, I think I ****ed up

tttttttttttttttttttt

-Alex
    AIM - Biabia322

"When my GF's 9-year-old niece told me that she would "pop" me in the mouth if I told her to be quiet again, I retorted, "Pop me in the mouth and I'll pop your cherry." -Jmac

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BiaBia
    tttttttttttttttttttt
    Yikes!

Don't put a sub in there!

If you really need plans to follow and have the skill to actually build the box, I could draw them up for a small fee. I'd do it for free, but it takes a long time for me to get everything perfect, so I have to charge a little something for my time....plus the fact that I paid a hefty bit for my box-building software and I gotta recoup that somehow :p

If you want just a basic ported box design and a cutsheet to tell you exactly how to cut the boards, I could probably do it for about $10. my contact info is in my sig if you're interested. If you honestly don't have $10 to spend, hit me up on AIM anyway, and I'd be happy to help you in any way that i can, short of actually doing all the work for ya

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I just realized that I didn't figure in the displacement of the sub. So, i'm probably gonna end up building an entire new box.

BTW, you didn't help with the box dimensions, I did it on my own. It's easy as hell just to put **** together. I'm probably gonna end up fixing the post, covering the hole, and puting a 12 or 10 in there for a home audio box. The box I made could easily hold up 400lbs of weight or more.

-Alex
    AIM - Biabia322

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac
    Man, I gotta set up a paypal account and start charging people, but then I'd feel horrible if I were to ever screw up or have a customer unhappy with their results ... At least when I do it for free and I screw up, I can always say, "What do you expect out of free advice ?" LOL Not that I screw up a lot ...
    I know i sound kinda dickish charging for box plans, but like i said, they're all modeled using a highly accurate CAD and it honestly takes a long time to get it just right. If I could pop out perfectly designed plans and cutsheets in 20 mins or so, I'd happily give them away....hell, I dedicate that much time just replying to a post

The bottom line is this: when you are in the line of work that I'm in, you get a lot of people asking for free plans. If I help one person for free, I have to help everyone. If I sat down and drew out free plans for everybody that asked me for them, that's all I'd ever get done, and I'd probably sell a lot fewer boxes......maybe I should just save myself a lot of face and heartache and just start quit replying to posts of this nature....

PS: I did offer the guy free advice on his box, just as I do anybody else. If you want advice, it's always free and most usually correct If you want me to do the work for you, just remember, my time is worth just as much as yours....I'm sure you don't go to work in the morning and tell your boss you don't mind whether you get paid for the first hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac
    What program do you use to design enclosures ? Even with the recent improvements to WinISD, I still have the desire to upgrade to something more accurate like LEAP or BassBox Pro or something ...

I do need to start charging for my designs, too. I spend a lot of time designing enclosures (to the point where I can't even keep up), so even just a dollar or two per design would net me like $15+ a day ... ****, it could pay for my rent
    I despise winISD. It's good for a few things, but not a whole lot.

A guy i know went out of the car audio business and I purchased his old version of LEAP by Linear X. I can't update it as I'm not the registered user, but even an old version is better than just about anything else you can find, especially for the price I got it for. Its not like I'm charging an arm and a leg for these designs either. If I can make five or ten bucks, it's worth the half hour to an hour it takes me to input all the info and tweek the design to fit the customer's needs. It's great that you help people and donate your time and effort to giving back to the hobby, and if I had enough free time, trust me, I would too.

Closed Thread