Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Reload Thread: Bellmouth Port Flaring

  1. #1
    shizzzon's Avatar
    shizzzon is offline I am who you think I am



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

    Bellmouth Port Flaring

    I just got done discussing with someone what i am doin with my wall in the car and have found a solution, a very cheap solution.

    I need to have my wall flared on the inside and outside to try and achieve higher pressure levels.

    My port area is 16.5" wide x 11.25" tall.

    Look at the bottom pic to see what a Bellmouth port looks like- for my application -



    There is a guy around town that can make me ANY custom size, flare, etc for my wall so i told him to hold off for a couple weeks while i test other things before i venture in flare port testing.


    I have some questions though so i can get him to make the proper size.

    The outside flare can stick out of the box a MAXIMUM of 5" deep. Any deeper and i'll void my division i wish to compete in.

    So, how wide and tall should the flare end up being?
    Internal is 16.5" wide x 11.25" I will be using either 0.5" or 0.75" thick wood so it will make the area a little smaller when the port is slid into place.

    Now, onto the questions-
    How much of an increase inch-wise should the outer flare be compared to the inner area?
    If the inner area was- 15" x 9.75"... should the outer flare size be 25" x 19.75" is that too much, too little, how should i know???

    how DEEP should the flare be? should the entire flare process be 2,3,4,5" deep?? how do i know?

    Should the outer flare have a flat base by the time it's done flaring or not?

    Can i just install damplifier pro to the outside of this type of port to kill resonance of the material or what should i use to be the most effective for practical use?

    Any other things i should know?







  2. #2
    dappa5's Avatar
    dappa5 is offline DO WORK! (if u can)



    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    S.W.FL
    Posts
    1,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

    Re: Bellmouth Port Flaring

    Quote Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
    How much of an increase inch-wise should the outer flare be compared to the inner area?
    If the inner area was- 15" x 9.75"... should the outer flare size be 25" x 19.75" is that too much, too little, how should i know???
    you will want 3 to 5 in on each side so 6 to 10in total


    Quote Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
    how DEEP should the flare be? should the entire flare process be 2,3,4,5" deep?? how do i know?
    as big as it needs to be (determined by flare size ) make templates to see how far each will be to make them flush

    Quote Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
    Should the outer flare have a flat base by the time it's done flaring or not?
    simply yes if not flat securing it would be difficut

    Quote Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
    Can i just install damplifier pro to the outside of this type of port to kill resonance of the material or what should i use to be the most effective for practical use?
    if you do use these after securing it fill the void under flare with expanding foam should shore up instell and dampen resonance


    Quote Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
    other things i should know?
    if i were you i would make the flare out of wood then use filler to smooth
    will get same effect w/o problems of securing and flushing that "METAL" bellmouth but make sure to take pics and let us all kno how it's going



    feedback thread

    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...appa5+feedback

    lol the moderators here are GODS word to the wise
    "don't cross them lol

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum