Reload Thread: Box question

ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box question

Okay, so I was looking at the owner's manual for my Kicker CVXs.

http://kicker.com/sites/default/files/2006CompVX.pdf

I've been looking to get a new box for them. I don't know if I want to go with the largest sealed design for SQ or go with a large ported box with a low tuning for SQ. I realize I'll lose some volume with the sealed but I will get a much flatter frequency response out of the sub. My goal is to have the best SQ possible (and yes I realize Kicker probably isn't the best sub for SQ). I'll be putting about 600 rms into 2 12s for now and may or may not be stepping up the power in the future. right now I have a small sealed box tuned to 38hz. My box is the minimum size recommended for a ported application. My 600 watts at this point is supposedly all the subs can take for daily use. If I go with a larger ported box I'd be able to upgrade my amp in the future for more volume. If I go with the largest sealed size recommended, I'd have no head room to upgrade to more power for daily use. What does everyone here recommend I do?

94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed

Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Box question

Well, for the best possible response and SQ, you'd want an EBS ported enclosure which is basically a larger-than-recommended enclosure tuned really low so you get an extremely flat transient response. It takes up a bit of a room though and you have to watch how much power you feed them because power handling will be reduced due to the large enclosure. It will however be very efficient so you don't need all that much power. Figure like almost 3 cubes of net-volume tuned to like 26-28Hz. You'll get a super flat response and some pretty punishing lows. As you said, kicker CVX's are definitely not SQ drivers (they share the same motor as the L7, and well you know, they get **** loud and sound like a pile of ***) but that sort of box should definitely help.

EDIT: I just noticed you live in Schererville, my dad actually works in that part of town and I go to Merilleville decently often. Always nice to see some locals on the forums

----My Two 10's Flexin' ----
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrj5PmrKVM
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

I design and build boxes.
    References
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404022

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I definitely PMed you before about building a box for me. I'm still interested in that, but I still have to sell my old subs first.

94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though the recommended largest net volume is 2.25 cubes per sub, you'd recommend about 3 per sub? About how much would you charge for a box built (and finished) that's about 6 cubes tuned between 26 and 28 hz?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lastly, do you think 638 watts would suffice as not too little or too much power for the 2 CVXs in a box that size? I'd be running a 15 hz 24 dB/oct. subsonic filter along with that.

Closed Thread