Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 33"W x 17"H x 14"D

mebcop is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

33"W x 17"H x 14"D

OK, I've been having a bastard of a time trying to fit a single ported 15 into this space. Just when I think I might be able to do it I try to get a port to work and it is either too long, too small(port noise), or it'd have to run behind the 15 and the magnet would be too close to the slot port wall....

I had my eye on an alpine type-r 15, which they recommend 1.5-3.0ft^3 ported, but through much discussion I've found that they want at LEAST 2.5 or higher, tuned really low, which creates the LONG port problem, which leads to not enough volume in the box for the 15.

Here's the mission should you choose to accept it......

33W x 17H x 14D external dimensions (really wanted 13"D but don't think it'll happen) These are maximum dimensions....

THANK YOU

fshanda is offline Slightly Stoopid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 33"W x 17"H x 14"D

If you want to use a 15 and are determined to do it, your going to need to chose a different sub. You just cant use a sub that wants to be tuned that low in a box that size. The needed port area and length wont allow it. I just ran those specs for your sub several ways and it aint happening.

You should either go with a 12 or find a 15 that has a lower Xmax and a higher Fs. Something that would need a higher tuning and a lower volume and shorter port length.

Maybe look at a FI BL 15 with the tuning a little on the high side. You might squeak that one in there? I didnt do a very accurate design, just doing a lot of rough figuring but your close to being able to net the 3 cubes minimum and have room for the port and length. Your just going to need to tune it high 39-40hz to make that work.

I would look at a 12" with a proper enclosure size and port area/ length personally. Trying to cram a 15 in there is going to be a fudge job.
    Last edited by fshanda; 06-28-2009 at 07:19 AM.

My System:
    Alpine 9856 head unit
    Alpine SPS-17C2 6.5 coaxial front doors
    Polk Audio db 651 6.5 coaxial rear doors
    Alpine Type-R 10" D4 sub in custom ported enclosure
    Alpine MRD M605 amplifier

Refs: Assman (purchase), PsychoTheRapist (purchase), wasted ink (trade)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

using the RE box calculator.... I know it's considered not accurate but I haven't taken the time to find a different box building program... But

Using these dimensions it leaves me with a 2.843ft^3 tuned to 32Hz....

I've found a couple 15's that will work with that sizing.....

One is the RE SRX 15....but I think I'd rather have a quality 12 then a low level 15. It's only 300wrms.... Dont think its really what I'm looking for....

Another is the FI Q 15.... it's minimum ported is 2.8, which is the most I'll be able to attain.... Don't like riding the fence on too small of a box.....

I think I'm either gonna have to go with a great 12" or a couple really good 10"s

THIS SUX!!!!!

basshedz06 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i don't really get into all that xmax an fs stuff but from what i have heard it helps if i do lol. but i have an rd alpha 15 in a 2.5 or prolly smaller box tuned at like 44-46 hz. it does **** good on high bass an low bass. when plugged into bbp 6 i got a good flat response.
    those dimensions man i am almost gonna tell ya that you can get a 15 in there but its gonna have to be one that loves small enclousures. cause a 15 baffle its it forward or to the rear is gonna need at least 16 to 17 tall. i have heard those r's like small enclousres but i have not seen one not get loud in one. my wife has 2 type r 10's in her car right now in a 3cube box an it does well on lows. its tuned to 36, too low for my taste but it does well.

TEAM DB DRIVEN

keepin it real wit some gangsta ****

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

have you considered using aero's to free up some space???

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've considered it but the port length for my size box in a 6" port is like 20" long..... that's too long!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can a slot port be as narrow as 2"? If I do that it leaves me with 3.1 ft3 tuned to like 32hz.....

I noticed that the JL w7 recommended box has a 2" wide slot....

Hope it's ok, cuz it doesn't require a TON of port space with that narrow of a slot port

DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mebcop View Post
    Can a slot port be as narrow as 2"? If I do that it leaves me with 3.1 ft3 tuned to like 32hz.....

I noticed that the JL w7 recommended box has a 2" wide slot....

Hope it's ok, cuz it doesn't require a TON of port space with that narrow of a slot port

Well, assuming your box is 17" tall, minus the 3/4" mdf on top and bottom, that gives a port height of 15.5". If the port was only 2" wide, that'd give you a port area of 31 sq. in and that's not enough for a 15" in that enclosure. Sure you could get the low tuning you want with a shorter port, but it's just too restrictive for that setup. Best advice that I can give you is that a smaller sub in a properly built enclosure will not only sound better, but also get louder in general that a "bigger is better" mentality and cramming something that doesn't fit into a mismatched enclosure.

----My Two 10's Flexin' ----
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrj5PmrKVM
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

I design and build boxes.
    References
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404022

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree Nick... I'm currently considering different options now.... Including 2 sealed 12's, 1 ported 12, and dual 10's......

Never ending and always changing!!!

loud-n-low is offline i give ladies 30mm xmax

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

you could grab my 2 RE SE/X 12's and run those.im from NY also

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree Nick... I'm currently considering different options now.... Including 2 sealed 12's, 1 ported 12, and dual 10's......

Never ending and always changing!!!
    Well, two 10's have the same cone area as one 15". So you'd still be cramped for space in the net volume and port area/tuning. 12's sealed would need about a cube each, so that's a possibility, but if you're looking to get loud down low, then that might not fit your ticket. I would say your best option would be a good quality 12" driver in a ported setup. With the ported setup, you should get plenty loud and you can tune it how you'd like for listening purposes and you're looking at somewhere around 1.75-3 cubic feet depending on the sub and box you build.

FYI, parts-express has a sale on the quad 1ohm coil Audiopulse Axis 12" woofers. Grab one of those, wire it down to a single 1 ohm and pound away

im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

References

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Holy chit... I just looked at those audiopulses... WOW 2500wrms.... haha

Two 10's only need 1.0ft3-1.25ft3 each ported though..... That'd be 2.5ft3 before ports.... wouldn't that be ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Holy chit... I just looked at those audiopulses... WOW 2500wrms.... haha

Two 10's only need 1.0ft3-1.25ft3 each ported though..... That'd be 2.5ft3 before ports.... wouldn't that be ok?
    Them audiopulses are beefy... I think they are something like almost 3" of excursion peak to peak And they're just plain **** lookin'

Well, I tend to make my boxes closer to the "large enclosure" ratings per woofer. Larger enclosures tend to be a bit more efficient but it all depends on the sub. Smaller enclosures can handle more power though... My two 10's have 1.5 per sub and they sound awesome. On certain songs when it hits that right note, my windshield vibrates enough that my mirror will sometimes fall off. Not bad for like 125w rms each

References

Closed Thread