Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ED's Diagram for Ported 12k Box

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ED's Diagram for Ported 12k Box

Hey, im ordering a EDk 12 soon, and am planning on making the box this weekend. Im gonna assume that the plans they give for a box will suit it very well. I will be giving it 160watts to each voice coil, and i need it to be pretty small, trunk of a civic. im also more for sq than spl, but i do want a decent amount of output so i want to go ported. here is the link to the diagram. http://www.edesignaudio.com/im2/boxc...c%20vented.jpg
    now, what is the point of the vertical boards near the port? also would they all need to be sealed to each side of the box? thanks a lot

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: ED's Diagram for Ported 12k Box

Quote Originally Posted by nosaj070
    Hey, im ordering a EDk 12 soon, and am planning on making the box this weekend. Im gonna assume that the plans they give for a box will suit it very well. I will be giving it 160watts to each voice coil, and i need it to be pretty small, trunk of a civic. im also more for sq than spl, but i do want a decent amount of output so i want to go ported. here is the link to the diagram. http://www.edesignaudio.com/im2/boxc...c%20vented.jpg
    now, what is the point of the vertical boards near the port? also would they all need to be sealed to each side of the box? thanks a lot
    That's a great box and it works very well with the driver.

The vertical boards are the port. The port is longer than the box is deep, so they snake it around like a mouse maze.

Every place that two boards come together needs to be glued, no exceptions. The point of a ported box is to control where the air flows, and if it's leaking anywhere, you're not in control. Glue not only bonds the boards together, but also prevents air from going where it's not supposed to.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If i were to shorten the box a little bit (like a few inches off the width when your looking at it from the front) would that affect the port frequency?

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nosaj070
    If i were to shorten the box a little bit (like a few inches off the width when your looking at it from the front) would that affect the port frequency?
    yes. that would make the box smaller, therefore reducing the internal airspace and changing the tuning frequency.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

Closed Thread