Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Reload Thread: Port area for RD Alpha 18

  1. #1
    Savag3's Avatar
    Savag3 is offline sav'd out



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central KillaCali
    Posts
    1,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Anyone have any designs for an RD Alpha 18" right now my port is 3Wx19Tx15 deep @34.5 im thinking this is too much area , 40sqin. was suggested , input ?



    2000 Expedition
    Eclipse CD 5030
    2 RD Audio HW GP 18's
    1 RD Audio D9's
    1 Mechman 250





  2. #2
    Looney_Tune's Avatar
    Looney_Tune is offline F**k How You Feel



    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Killeen,TX
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    id like to have a 18" Alpha...my 15" was tha shyt.



    Pioneer AVH-P4400BH
    Alpine pdx 1.600
    Alpine pdx 4.100
    18in obsidian
    [email protected]
    4x kenwood kfc-1693ps...
    Refs: 5o4m6, assman, basschild, BIG4EVER, bonesninja, bjfish11, canyouhearmatt, Coolwazabi, cdf294, chaunb3400, DownSouth954, here to buy, squeak12, THXdts, jmanpc, JBloud47, jk32sho, johnson, Louisiana_CRX, Mike465, nismos14, pitbull12887, ProblemHouston, Fear of Theive, farmerehsan, rollerdj, valter, WaTTsLOk187

  3. #3
    Savag3's Avatar
    Savag3 is offline sav'd out

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central KillaCali
    Posts
    1,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Looney_Tune View Post
    id like to have a 18" Alpha...my 15" was tha shyt.
    yea alphas get nasty loud i had two 18's on two 3250.'s and i was crushin pretty good



    2000 Expedition
    Eclipse CD 5030
    2 RD Audio HW GP 18's
    1 RD Audio D9's
    1 Mechman 250


  4. #4
    DNick454's Avatar
    DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN
    Posts
    1,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    40 sq in is WAAAAAAAY too small for an 18. You need atleast 90 for that sub based on cone area and Xmax. Even if you're going for an aero port, you'd still want around 60.



    ----My Two 10's Flexin' ----
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrj5PmrKVM
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

    I design and build boxes.
    References
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404022


  5. #5
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1266 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    what is net size of the enclosure? I'd assume 12-16^2 per cube would do just fine...




  6. #6
    azimuth's Avatar
    azimuth is offline funded*by*soros



    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Age
    42
    Posts
    9,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    what is net size of the enclosure? I'd assume 12-16^2 per cube would do just fine...
    agreed. port area depends more on box size than the sub. i'd go on the high side. around 16 sq. inches per cubic foot.






    2003 chevy s-10 ext. cab
    hu: jvc kd-avx1
    precision power 356cs components
    front amp: infinity 475a
    sub: diamond audio d6 10d4
    enclosure: 1.1 cubes ported tuned @ 31hz
    sub amp: JL G1700

  7. #7
    Savag3's Avatar
    Savag3 is offline sav'd out

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central KillaCali
    Posts
    1,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    enclosure is 6.5 and the 40 sqin was suggested by Steve Miller , 90 sqin ? that is waaay too much



    2000 Expedition
    Eclipse CD 5030
    2 RD Audio HW GP 18's
    1 RD Audio D9's
    1 Mechman 250


  8. #8
    azimuth's Avatar
    azimuth is offline funded*by*soros



    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Age
    42
    Posts
    9,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Savag3 View Post
    enclosure is 6.5 and the 40 sqin was suggested by Steve Miller , 90 sqin ? that is waaay too much
    90 square inches isn't too much. i've done single 12 boxes that had 36.






    2003 chevy s-10 ext. cab
    hu: jvc kd-avx1
    precision power 356cs components
    front amp: infinity 475a
    sub: diamond audio d6 10d4
    enclosure: 1.1 cubes ported tuned @ 31hz
    sub amp: JL G1700

  9. #9
    DNick454's Avatar
    DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN
    Posts
    1,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Savag3 View Post
    enclosure is 6.5 and the 40 sqin was suggested by Steve Miller , 90 sqin ? that is waaay too much
    The 16 sq in of port area per cubic foot is a good rule. Do the math, 6.5 cubic feet times 16. That's 104, so... no, 90 is not too much. I've got 50 sq in of port on my two 10's in 3 cubic feet. More port area can't hurt, too little can. A bigger port area just means it takes up a bit more space because the port is then longer to achieve the same tuning. I'd rather have a huge mass of slow moving air waves than a high speed whisle of port noise coming from my box. But whatever, build the box as "Steve Miller" told you.



    ----My Two 10's Flexin' ----
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrj5PmrKVM
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

    I design and build boxes.
    References
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404022


  10. #10
    Savag3's Avatar
    Savag3 is offline sav'd out

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central KillaCali
    Posts
    1,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    ok so the design i have now has 57sq in tuned @ 34.5 maybe im better off than i thought



    2000 Expedition
    Eclipse CD 5030
    2 RD Audio HW GP 18's
    1 RD Audio D9's
    1 Mechman 250


  11. #11
    DNick454's Avatar
    DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN
    Posts
    1,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Savag3 View Post
    ok so the design i have now has 57sq in tuned @ 34.5 maybe im better off than i thought
    I'd still say that's cutting it short unless you use aero ports with that much area. Even if you use a more conservative 12 sq in per cubic foot, you still get a minimum of 78 sq in of port area. I'd hate for you to build a giant *** box and spend money on materials to find out your box is choking the sub and all you're hearing it port turbulence.



    ----My Two 10's Flexin' ----
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrj5PmrKVM
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

    I design and build boxes.
    References
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404022


  12. #12
    Savag3's Avatar
    Savag3 is offline sav'd out

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central KillaCali
    Posts
    1,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Quote Originally Posted by DNick454 View Post
    The 16 sq in of port area per cubic foot is a good rule. Do the math, 6.5 cubic feet times 16. That's 104, so... no, 90 is not too much. I've got 50 sq in of port on my two 10's in 3 cubic feet. More port area can't hurt, too little can. A bigger port area just means it takes up a bit more space because the port is then longer to achieve the same tuning. I'd rather have a huge mass of slow moving air waves than a high speed whisle of port noise coming from my box. But whatever, build the box as "Steve Miller" told you.
    Ive heard that same thing said before 16sqin. per cuft . . , and I mean he does own RD im pretty sure he knows what his woofers "like". . dont you lose musicality when your ports are so big ? wouldnt the woofer unload alot faster ? just wondering , i am just looking for input, and this is the second time ive heard 12-16 per cube . . and just for the record none of the box's steve designed for me have ever had whistle or noteable port noise



    2000 Expedition
    Eclipse CD 5030
    2 RD Audio HW GP 18's
    1 RD Audio D9's
    1 Mechman 250


  13. #13
    d-REW's Avatar
    d-REW is offline tuTWENTY



    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    denver COLORADO
    Posts
    1,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    sounds like you already made up your mind why ask for help?



    Refs: Rashaddd, SotoGrip, ProjectPechkin, Walled Taurus, Just303, tenbux1970, tmasco, Worstenemy45, blazron22z

  14. #14
    DNick454's Avatar
    DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Valparaiso, IN
    Posts
    1,235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Quote Originally Posted by Savag3 View Post
    Ive heard that same thing said before 16sqin. per cuft . . , and I mean he does own RD im pretty sure he knows what his woofers "like". . dont you lose musicality when your ports are so big ? wouldnt the woofer unload alot faster ? just wondering , i am just looking for input, and this is the second time ive heard 12-16 per cube . . and just for the record none of the box's steve designed for me have ever had whistle or noteable port noise
    Did he recommend 40 sq inches of aero port or slot port? Because 40 sq in of slot port seems way too small for an 18". Even if he is the owner of the company, that just doesn't seem logical to me to be honest. Also, I don't see why you'd lose musical ability by making the port larger in area because you also make it longer to keep the same tuning so the resonant properties of the port are still the same. I've never used RD products so I'll just stay out of this for now I guess, but unless RD subs are some crazy never before used concept in woofer design, I would say the port would be a tad small.



    ----My Two 10's Flexin' ----
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrj5PmrKVM
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

    I design and build boxes.
    References
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404022


  15. #15
    Savag3's Avatar
    Savag3 is offline sav'd out

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central KillaCali
    Posts
    1,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port area for RD Alpha 18

    Quote Originally Posted by DNick454 View Post
    Did he recommend 40 sq inches of aero port or slot port? Because 40 sq in of slot port seems way too small for an 18". Even if he is the owner of the company, that just doesn't seem logical to me to be honest. Also, I don't see why you'd lose musical ability by making the port larger in area because you also make it longer to keep the same tuning so the resonant properties of the port are still the same. I've never used RD products so I'll just stay out of this for now I guess, but unless RD subs are some crazy never before used concept in woofer design, I would say the port would be a tad small.
    40 sq in of slot , i had two alpha 18's with 84sq in of port @33hz in my full size bronco that went 151.5 with some voltage drop. I unno thanx for the input guess il try and figure out whats going on. Wouldnt the pressure inside the box change ? i realize that the tuning is the same but i would think it would cause unloading . . i unno thanx



    2000 Expedition
    Eclipse CD 5030
    2 RD Audio HW GP 18's
    1 RD Audio D9's
    1 Mechman 250


Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum