Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Aero vs. Slotted in a truck???

phensway is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aero vs. Slotted in a truck???

I already used the SEARCH ENGINE!!! i have more questions though!!! lol.... i know that slotted ports make more noise, but looking at digital designs website they want the slotted port to point to the side, but there are restrictions. the port would be barely inches away from the side of my interior because i am building the box as big as possible to utilize every inch of space possible. I dont think i can do port up because i have interior issues under my rear window. Would you guys recommend aero ports up, which would probably work in my case? Or is it ok to put a slotted port to the side with my interior being close to the air flow? i know slotted would take a little longer to design and build, but i dont like the looks of aero ports, to me the seem like the easy way out even though some people claim they sound better. help?

2004 Silverado Crew Cab on 24's
    Pioneer 5900dvd 7" flip out
    9" Flip down monitor
    7" Headrest monitors
    Sundown, Focal, JL audio

References = Bigbowtie, Johnzp, loudwhat?, dcmcki, blackbonnie, revrider1, 310w6, Haunz, superbang, grimreper912003, cx-7heaven, brandonf.

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Aero vs. Slotted in a truck???

my next box will have 2 6" aeros firing up, i have an extended cab truck.

how big of a slot port will you be using? (the dimensions)

-2005 GMC Sierra SLE crew cab
    -Pioneer Avic-d3, factory BOSE

KHARPS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure I showed you a pic of my box before, right? A slot port firing to the side would be fine it's just that a slot port takes up way more volume than aeroports do. Since you have very little room to work with I think you should just use aeroports. Just make sure you make the side you are mounting them on big enough.

REFERENCES
    cam5860, Godsmack, dropkick13, ls2poweredgoat, bunkerking09, ProjectPechkin, GavinVoy, kmanian, magnum21, natetate, gqjeff, mustangowner, ssackett, hazardous0388, Rusty...WCA, ohsosmooth, grassroots, Leister, Scott S, Pyro_by_Nature, teamsolo, jblcamry, pickup1, got_focus?, fasfocus00, Zellner, Goindef154, Darknight, orangelss, Thorshammer1, BigSix

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i think i saw pics of your truck, if i remember correctly i have less mounting depth than you have. I realize that a slotted port would take up **** near half of a cubic foot, which ***** because i am already strapped for space. So i guess i will have to use aero ports. Should i fire them up or to the sides? does it matter where they are located in the box? I used the search engine and found the website on how to figure aero port lengths and size in relation to cubic feet, i didnt save it though, can anyone help me with that?

Kharps, have you tried sealed boxes in your truck? which was louder? thanks bro!

9" Flip down monitor
    7" Headrest monitors
    Sundown, Focal, JL audio

References = Bigbowtie, Johnzp, loudwhat?, dcmcki, blackbonnie, revrider1, 310w6, Haunz, superbang, grimreper912003, cx-7heaven, brandonf.

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phensway View Post
    i think i saw pics of your truck, if i remember correctly i have less mounting depth than you have. I realize that a slotted port would take up **** near half of a cubic foot, which ***** because i am already strapped for space. So i guess i will have to use aero ports. Should i fire them up or to the sides? does it matter where they are located in the box? I used the search engine and found the website on how to figure aero port lengths and size in relation to cubic feet, i didnt save it though, can anyone help me with that?

Kharps, have you tried sealed boxes in your truck? which was louder? thanks bro!
    half a cube? how big is your box going to be and what subs? most slotted ports ive used measured between 1 and 2cf lol.. 2 6" full length aeros take up .5cf

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

its a truck box, i have less than 2.5 cubes total!!! *****!!! i will be building it for 8 inch subs, either the e8's or 1508's. i pretty much found out that i need to use aero ports.

9" Flip down monitor
    7" Headrest monitors
    Sundown, Focal, JL audio

KHARPS is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've had many sealed box setups. The most recent was a pair of 10'' Icons in 1.4 cubes with 500w each. It sounded great but my single 10'' ported setups have all been louder. As for port up or to the side it is all vehicle dependent. The only time I tried a box firing to the side it didn't sound good because it was too close to the passenger side wall of the truck. When I go home for spring break I'm going to put together a side firing box that is in the same spot my box is in now, but firing towards the driver's side.

REFERENCES
    cam5860, Godsmack, dropkick13, ls2poweredgoat, bunkerking09, ProjectPechkin, GavinVoy, kmanian, magnum21, natetate, gqjeff, mustangowner, ssackett, hazardous0388, Rusty...WCA, ohsosmooth, grassroots, Leister, Scott S, Pyro_by_Nature, teamsolo, jblcamry, pickup1, got_focus?, fasfocus00, Zellner, Goindef154, Darknight, orangelss, Thorshammer1, BigSix

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

its a truck box, i have less than 2.5 cubes total!!! *****!!! i will be building it for 8 inch subs, either the e8's or 1508's. i pretty much found out that i need to use aero ports.
    ok, i see. i was thinking you were taking the back seats out or something. in that case, the 2 8"s should only need about .5-.75cf net each. is that 2.5 cubes including the outer dimensions? what are the outer dimensions you have to work with, ill see if i can figure out what kind of port would work for you

x2o
    x2o is offline Fuzzy Blue Lights

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 01 S 10 View Post
    ok, i see. i was thinking you were taking the back seats out or something. in that case, the 2 8"s should only need about .5-.75cf net each. is that 2.5 cubes including the outer dimensions? what are the outer dimensions you have to work with, ill see if i can figure out what kind of port would work for you
    Sorry to change topics here on you OP, but did you ever figure out the problem with that NightShade heating up 01 S 10?

And if that's 2.5 net (internal), then .5 cubes of port displacement would bring it to a bit less than 1 cube per sub, which should be pretty big for an 8" ported. Should work out nicely depending on tuning and power handling.

The System :
    Electrical: Big 3, Powermaster D1200 and D3100.
    Sub Stage : 18" Custom Sundown Nightshade D2 Tuned to 30 Hz
    Sub Amp : Sundown SAZ-3000D
    Headunit : Alpine 9887 (ACTIVE )
    Front Stage : (2) Eminence Delta 10" mids, 2 Power Acoustik NX-5s
    Rear Pro Audio: (4) 8" Selenium 8W4P, (2) Selenium ST350
    Pro Audio Amps: Hifonics ZXi6010, Hifonics ZXi1010, Kicker ZX350.4
    Wiring : Kicker Hyperflex/Knu 0ga/RCA's
    Refs : Apocalypse Boy, Brian Owens, JBLCamry, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, BushJ311, tEh koRnDog(x2), blackbonnie, ProjectPat06, ampjunkielikeme, DownSouth954, Tapout, PaulThompson229, Mrogowski, Team H&K (Kent), andrewmoore13, slam, 100% eBay

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the box length is around 57 inches and the height can either be 15 inches or 20 inches. If its 20 inches it needs a step out to move around a piece of plastic under my rear window. its raining really hard out and its cold as hell so i didnt measure all of the dimensions, plus im on crutches!! sorry!

9" Flip down monitor
    7" Headrest monitors
    Sundown, Focal, JL audio

x2o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the box length is around 57 inches and the height can either be 15 inches or 20 inches. If its 20 inches it needs a step out to move around a piece of plastic under my rear window. its raining really hard out and its cold as hell so i didnt measure all of the dimensions, plus im on crutches!! sorry!
    how wide are you going? And so you are taking out the back seat? I'm a bit confused

The System :
    Refs : Apocalypse Boy, Brian Owens, JBLCamry, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, BushJ311, tEh koRnDog(x2), blackbonnie, ProjectPat06, ampjunkielikeme, DownSouth954, Tapout, PaulThompson229, Mrogowski, Team H&K (Kent), andrewmoore13, slam, 100% eBay

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

its a crew cab, im not taking out the back seats. but its a full sized truck and my width is somewhere in the neighborhood of 56 to 57 inches.

9" Flip down monitor
    7" Headrest monitors
    Sundown, Focal, JL audio

JBGabriel is offline Stoned to the Bone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would go aero ports to the drivers side... Thats how I do all my truck boxes and the results are always good.

REFS; steinkea, sabreman001, Astyl, hazardous0388, Thetalkingshoe, blazinb2000, peas247, BassAddictJ, psychoacoustics, siddle, 01 S 10, BiC, tr10av

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...09#post6699409

New build coming soon.

1999 F150 Reg Cab

H.U.- Deh-780mp
    Front Stage-Powerbass 3xl
    Front amp-?
    Sub stage-2 12" ab hd
    Enclosure- 4 @ 38 (1) 8" aero
    Sub amp-?
    Electrical- 2 runs of 2/0

x2o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

its a crew cab, im not taking out the back seats. but its a full sized truck and my width is somewhere in the neighborhood of 56 to 57 inches.
    well, there are 3 dimensions to a box, yours are 56 x 15 x ??

What's the ??, lol

The System :

01 S 10 is offline LOUD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x2o View Post
    Sorry to change topics here on you OP, but did you ever figure out the problem with that NightShade heating up 01 S 10?

nobody knows what is causing it, the coils are somehow connected. when i connect my DMM to both coils at the same time (1 lead on 1 coil, other lead on other coil), im getting a reading. weird. im returning them to the seller and getting my money back. im either going with 1 18" nightshade, Atomic APX, or RD HW or SHW.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List