Closed Thread

Reload Thread: I know this has been asked 100s of times before, but I need some help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know this has been asked 100s of times before, but I need some help

Either I'm an idiot, or these box calculators don't seem to want to work for me.

Here's a picture of the box I'm wanting to build. http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...394_2_full.jpg

I want to build that box at 3.7cf with the slot port tuned at 30hz. Other potential dimensions are 16" high in the rear (obviously the slanted front end is going to differ slightly), 26" wide, and 16" deep. Looking for a 45degree slope on the front, and maybe a 2-3" tall port.

For now, this will be going to a 15k strapped to an xtant a6001 at 8ohms (big box, so 600+ watts would be way too much for that sub). But eventually it will be the home of an SE 15.

Can anyone else give me some different/more efficient dimensions, including port length and height? I don't know a whole lot about this, so I need to be able to write down measurements, and draw them out on wood and cut.

Thanks.

ws140 is offline ~`[]D[]][\/]][[]D`~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The tuning frequency might be off when you switch subs. Also it sounds like you are not the best at wood working. I suggest you either build a sealed box ( 1ft^3 recommened) or build a square ported box that uses a PVC pipe for the port.

Alpine CDA-9813
    Infinity Kappa 60.5s Component Speakers
    U.S. Acoutics 2080x for the comps (80x2 @ 4 ohms)
    1 ed e12O.44 in a 2ft.^3 sealed box.
    Soundstream RUB500-1 for the sub (400x1 @ 2 ohms)

biteablegravy is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You're right, I don't know the first thing about making the cuts.

I want to give a buddy of mine the dimensions, and let him send me the cut pieces back. He's done a couple boxes before.

Holes will be predrilled so all I have to do is buy some screws, get some liquid nails, and get to assembling.

But for the subs.. The 15k will be inverted because I think the basket is sexier than the cone. But honestly, this box isn't being built for that driver, it's being built for the SE15 that I'm ordering after my next paycheck. It will be mounted regular, so I'm thinking around 3.2-3.5cf after displacement.. Sorry I forgot to mention all that before.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Max depth is 30", max width is 40"

I'd like to keep the total height between 16-18".. 16 if possible, so my cargo cover can go over the top. I figure with the slanted face, that's a very obtainable goal to have 16" of total height with a 15" sub box.

Those are the max numbers for depth and width.. Would probably come out to like 10-12cf with those numbers :p But there's plenty of room to work with back there as you can see (it's in an explorer).

Thanks for the help!

edit- Yea, it's going to be with 3/4" mdf

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's awesome man, thanks for pulling those numbers for me. I'll send that plot to the guy cutting the wood and let him have at it.

I think I'll eventually go with a slant front when I get my own cutting tools and whatnot, but angles would have to be cut on the edges of the wood so they mesh together nicely.. It would be kind of a chore keeping everything flush on the face. Didn't even think about that until now.. So I'll stick to your drawing.

Thanks again. You've just made me a happy man. I'll take pictures of course, and I'll let you know how it all works out.

Closed Thread