Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How much of a difference does airspace above the box make

I Like Waffle is offline Be Swangin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

How much of a difference does airspace above the box make

Im gonna be installing my new box and stuff tommorow and im wondering how much of a diff space around the box is gonna make. As of right now im gonna have around 2" of clearance over the top of the box, and maybe 6" on each side. However ive noticed i can modify the bottom of the box to fit overtop of the lump in the trunk (as pictured) and that will get me like 2" more of overtop clearance, and maybe 2" more on each side as well. Also id get about 6 more inches between the face of the box and the back of the trunk. Seems to me like itd be louder like this, but extensive modifications to the box are gonna have to be made. AKA im gonna have to cut a slot in the middle of the box in the bottom thats gonna be 7 inches wide, and 3 inches tall, then use MDF on the inside of the box and make a little cube to go around the slot to seal it back up.

Heres what i mean

Im better than you.

bunkerking09 is offline Current Status: Win

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How much of a difference does airspace above the box make

I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

If i'm reading this correctly, i think your basically trying to say that if you have less airspace between the top of the box and the trunk it will be louder, which is true because you are essentially making it a wall this way.

Providing your sub is firing forward. It will have the opposite effect if its firing backwards.

New car...new build coming soon.

Refs: wu501, Team H&K, NEXT, BigBirney420, CRXBMPN, jgonino, woofercooker, smakdemhos, ssacket, dacheatham, dontknowanything, iamamp3pimp, kharps...probably a few others

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

My subs are firing to the rear, and what im saying is i can modify the box so it slides over the lump in the picture (clearance for rear end im assuming) But yea theres a lump in the middle of the trunk that prevents me from sliding the box forward toward the cabin, therefor giving me more airspace above and around the box. The lump is about 2 inches tall and 6 inches wide so i can cut that clearance out in the center of the box and slide it right over it.

Im better than you.

1ndatrunk is offline Can I live?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you are facing the subs toward the rear seat then you should put the box as close to the taillights as possible. That is unless you're going to seal the box off from the trunk and into the cabin. If you don't seal it like a wall into the cabin, the more airspace you have around the box you'll get more cancellation, i.e. it won't be as loud.
    If you were facing the subs toward the rear, then the more space around the box the better. It gives the sound more room to travel into the cabin.
    I have an oldschool Cadi and have that same hump problem in mine. I don't even waste my time with subs larger than 12s unless its subs up/port back or side because of the clearance issue you have also

Refs: Korn4Life, Seth3515, JusBloud, mgeagles, Rashaad, Dacheatham, nuboot, Silentbass, Lysfys, Woofercooker, Redgp, Boominspl, Cameron B, Beaver1992 x2, Whiteram,Juukno, Towncar, Cravingbass123, slam330, rgplayer, TeamSouthrnBass, Anniku, Goose5741, KyngHype, Southsyde, HRTBRK1, mbrooky, jonny101abc, richardparker

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yea that big ol caddy is probably pretty similar to my trunk. I think im gonna give it a shot anyhow though, depending on how much work is involved. This box is big as hell so i think im gonna need the room

Im better than you.

Closed Thread