Closed Thread

Reload Thread: SPL box for kicker

somekook is offline only 15"s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SPL box for kicker

i have a 15" kicker L5. i have built a few moderately sized sealed boxes for it, but now im thinkin screw sq, i want to get the most spl out of it that i can. im only giving it about 350 watts. anyone know wha size box and port or whatever configuration i could use to get as much spl out of it as possible?

mattj is offline Resonant Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: SPL box for kicker

Measure your trunk area and see what you can fit and are you going for daily SPL or competition? im guessing a SQL setup...
    Id say go for 3.5+ cubes and tune it about 38hz

(SUMMER)
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Premium
    Mach460
    Alpine CDA-9835
    KnuKonceptz Wiring

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just daily spl.....i never understood tuning.... if it takes more than a few sentences to explain maybe theres a website you could give me a link to, thanks

mattj is offline Resonant Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

(SUMMER)
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Premium
    Mach460
    Alpine CDA-9835
    KnuKonceptz Wiring

accord18 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

loudspeakers101.com/ventcal1 has a port size calculator

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok the box volume (not counting what the 15" L5 displaces) is 3.5 cubes. kicker recomends a 3 cube box with a 16.25" x 2.5" port. i figure the sub takes up roughle half a cube so that works out i think. but i want to extend the port out of the box (in my trunk) through the rear deck. how much can this effect the tuning frequency, if i keep the port the same length but pull it out of the box about 5 inches?

AMD
    AMD is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    id say if you have the room do atleast 4.5 cuft. the l7 really like air space, and if you are wanting to get some spl i would build as big as one as you can. With only 350 watts it is going to like a very large enclosure. I would see about getting some more power, the 15l7 will take a lot of power. a 1000 watts is nothing for it to take daily.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont have the money or the room so im trying to stick with kickers "compact" vented enclosure recomendations.
    do you know how the tuned frequency will be affected by pulling the port out like that? or how to calculate the tuned frequency at all?

AMD
    AMD is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    pulling the port out will defenatly effect the tuning, if you are talking about the enclosure that kicker recomendes as their compact, they take into consideration of discplacment of sub and port and bracing. pulling the port out 5 inches is going to lengthen the port alltogether. The way I take it is you want to stick the port through the rear package tray correct. You could just build the box to spec and open the package tray up so the sound will come through. I would rather do that then do what you are thinking.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont knoew what a package tray is, but i want to cut a whole in the rear dek of my car and pull the port about 5 inches out the the box so that the port is flush with the rear deck. i would be keeping the port at the recomended 16.25 inches, but i would only have 11.25 inches inside the box, and the other five inches of the port outside the box

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

actually the s15l5 takes up 0.2 i looked it up in the manual. thanks for telling me thats a slot port to, i would have messed that up. ill just go with a regular ported box design in that case. thanks a lot

phoneman is offline i like pie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: SPL box for kicker

Quote Originally Posted by somekook
    ok the box volume (not counting what the 15" L5 displaces) is 3.5 cubes. kicker recomends a 3 cube box with a 16.25" x 2.5" port. i figure the sub takes up roughle half a cube so that works out i think. but i want to extend the port out of the box (in my trunk) through the rear deck. how much can this effect the tuning frequency, if i keep the port the same length but pull it out of the box about 5 inches?

Reread your manual. In the kicker manuel the recomended box volumes include driver displacment, just not port displacment.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh, so when i calculate the box dimensions, i dont have to subtract for driver or port displacement???

phoneman is offline i like pie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: SPL box for kicker

Quote Originally Posted by somekook
    oh, so when i calculate the box dimensions, i dont have to subtract for driver or port displacement???
    Ok, Reread it again. I have the same manual for my sisters L5 15 and I plan on building a ported box for it. I will probably choose the Middle sized box which is 4.5 cubic foot of volume with the recomended port size of 3"x16.25" rectangle and 14.75" long. Ok I will probably decide to put my port In a corner so I can use 2 of the outside walls as functioning parts of the port, So I have a port that is .54 cubic foot of displacment on the inside. Now according to the Kicker manual " All the cubic feet numbers given in the following pages include the displacement of the woofer. For ported boxes the displacement for the port must be added to the final design. " Which means the enclosure I chose to use (4.5) will have an internal volume of 5.04 before the displacemnt of anything. And the internal volume after displacment of sub and port will be 4.3 cubic foot (assuming that the l5 15 has a displacment of .2). Now all you have to add is he displacement of the port if you choose one of the recomended boxes in the manual. And the displacement of the port wil depend on if you decide to use 1 or 2 of the outside walls as a part of the port walls and if you do that dont forget to use the port adjustment factor when cuttin the length

Closed Thread