Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Fiberglass wheel well or not?

snb778 is offline blaugh!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fiberglass wheel well or not?

I was just thinking about my ongoing issue of not having enough space in my trunk for what I want to do (2x 15's, 2 18's.. etc etc)

Would it be ok to fiberglass my wheel well to get an extra 2-3cu. ft, and attatch it to my regular box?? Has anyone tried this?

I know i'd have to make it thick as hell to work properly, but it would be worth it if it worked. I would make it bolt-on so I could put it on different boxes if needed.

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Fiberglass wheel well or not?

anyone...

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ttt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bump

aturcotte127317 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i was thnking about doing the same thing, but i think i am just goign to build the box into my spare tire well. mine is a almost a square (cube) so it wouldnt make too much of a difference to glass it.
    but if yours is a really weird shape, then yea go for it, i dont see why not. But if you are goign to just make it a bolt on, put some low density weather stripping or something to make sure it has a good seal and everything.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh i'd silicone the hell outta it... mine is like a circle, only the 1 side is flat..... doesnt your wheel well bow up in the middle?? thats the problem I see with making it part of the box... also I do a lot of swapping out, so this would be nice to have bolt on... I just want to find someone who has done/seen this before

aturcotte127317 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778 View Post
    oh i'd silicone the hell outta it... mine is like a circle, only the 1 side is flat..... doesnt your wheel well bow up in the middle?? thats the problem I see with making it part of the box... also I do a lot of swapping out, so this would be nice to have bolt on... I just want to find someone who has done/seen this before
    mine does go up a very very little bit, (it is about 4" in diameter, and goes up about 2") but i just too a dremel, with a cut-off wheel, and just cut it flat, then put a .25" thick peice of MDF over it (after i put 2 cotes of waterproof sealant paint stuff on it)

i just thought the waether stripping would be ideal, because then every time you swapped you wouldnt have to cut out the silicone ya know?

hatemonger is offline funded*by*soros

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

projectpenchkin was using the wheel well in his subaru for the same purpose, using 2 eclipse 15's. as long as you can calculate the space correctly, and seal it with the box good, it'll work fine. it wasn't going to be removable though

2003 chevy s-10 ext. cab
    hu: jvc kd-avx1
    precision power 356cs components
    front amp: infinity 475a
    sub: diamond audio d6 10d4
    enclosure: 1.1 cubes ported tuned @ 31hz
    sub amp: JL G1700

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice, im going to hit him up.. thx

edit: there is no user on this forum with that name

2edit: hmmh, tried it again and it worked nvmd

stevew007 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 words "painters tape" before you foam or glass so when you need to remove the foam or glass it will come off with the tape ~

REF'S 96maxgle, LcKmyblls, djman37, nomad40, el_chupo_ , jep772, got focus?, platestacker45, randyrsx, duece212,DB_DRAG_SPL, ProjectPechkin

http://www.myspace.com/colorado_basswarz

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Just do a wall...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Just do a wall...
    you don't understand how bad I want to, but

A. I got rolled the other day for my tint, he didnt make me take it off, but sounded like the next guy would

B. IF i didnt have front tint, I park my car in an open parking lot by itself at night while im working

C. there have been several break in's in the back of my work in the last few months (thats why I park in the big lot in front). So it would be kinda risky

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Can you get fold down rear seats for your car? If so do a forward firing set up like I have. Loud and stealth...

GAM3OVR is offline Jeka is Back

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kcdc30 View Post
    projectpenchkin was using the wheel well in his subaru for the same purpose, using 2 eclipse 15's. as long as you can calculate the space correctly, and seal it with the box good, it'll work fine. it wasn't going to be removable though
    Nice Spelling Casey

REFS:
    Sold to: stevew007, Worstenemy453, HelloImBob, All_Rice, Durney, sixfootman2005, jaes90, d-REW, RidnClean, Pbateman
    Bought from: Lousiana_crx, 96impala, KHARPS, Pjvoc, WhiteIce, Dvcevoblack, Jrgreene1968, Zack39648, Dave_Damage, Freelander, Connersdad19, Slammed, Ali1, TeamSouthrnBass, RXZILLA, oldschool4me, Fusion_FREAK, Simpsonbuck, Acex3a, jaredspl, JEXTEL, jamesw, orangelss, Ridinhi, 01 S 10, jmkanek, luv2shrOOm, braggpawn, sub2weeker, tv559, Alanhall,
    Traded with: Duece212, cleansoundz, kcdc30, got_focus?, 90accordman, BASS_WARRIOR, crazyman03,

Smurfygotmojo=scammer!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Can you get fold down rear seats for your car? If so do a forward firing set up like I have. Loud and stealth...
    ya know.. im going to have to look into it... I was just lookin in my trunk... and I wouldnt even be able to get the box in if I did the wheel well...there would be no way to secure the fiberglassed wheel well to the box in the car, because I have to have my sub mounted before I put the box in

Mike, did you check out those quick disconnect connectors?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast