Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Shared Enclosure Volume Gain?

bball09124 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shared Enclosure Volume Gain?

I was reading some stuff on the Soundpressure DD forums and some guy was talking about how if you use multiple subs in a common chamber you can calculate a 20% gain in air space. I've never heard this, is there any truth in it or is it some BS? Here's his exact quote.

"remember when do multible subs in common chamber you can caculate a 20% gain in precieved air space when they share a common chamber so if 1 sub uses 1cf 2 can be tuned the same in a 1.6 cf box and 4 can work in 3.0 so keep this in mind when doing multiable subs"

bought from: cbrrocketrdr, bk12321, galacticmonkey, jnoel, aaronmiiller, revrider1, QtrHorse, brchd, Calikid, IA2, miker, dontknowanythin, Towncar, woofercooker, speedyg76, cd6551
    traded with: lorilee8284, Boominator
    sold to:ravens9322, Blinkdogo2, dbubble, Fusion_FREAK, oneill584, jrgreene1968

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Shared Enclosure Volume Gain?

I also saw on the soundpressure forums Louisiana CRX saying the same thing. More info on this? Is it true?

bought from: cbrrocketrdr, bk12321, galacticmonkey, jnoel, aaronmiiller, revrider1, QtrHorse, brchd, Calikid, IA2, miker, dontknowanythin, Towncar, woofercooker, speedyg76, cd6551

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ttt

THUMPPER is offline Pound That Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when multiple woofers are mounted in the same cavity keeping them with in the
    voice coil diameter away from each other you get what is called a coupling effect
    this can give up to a 6db gain in out put

Sound Solutions Audio (SSA)
    Authorized Canadian Dealer

My Install
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3129131

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by THUMPPER View Post
    when multiple woofers are mounted in the same cavity keeping them with in the
    voice coil diameter away from each other you get what is called a coupling effect
    this can give up to a 6db gain in out put
    I've heard this, but it is not what I was referring to. I'm talking about enclosure volume, not output.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ttt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ttt

scoob8000 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any more input on this? I'm intrigued!

Thumper, When you say once vc diameter apart do you mean keeping the motors that close (ie mounting subs at an opposite angle) or from the edge of one basket to the other?

I did a little searching on this coupling effect, but mostly everything I see are complex pro audio designs using all kind of crazy mounting angles.

My feedback/ref thread: HERE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ttt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I may never get an answer on this.....

teggybwoy is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so tell me if im hearing right, if i put 2 subs in an enclosure sharing the same port/chamber its gonna be louder than 2 subs that are seperated? so this is one big box for 2 subs?

pjhabit is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bball09124 View Post
    I was reading some stuff on the Soundpressure DD forums and some guy was talking about how if you use multiple subs in a common chamber you can calculate a 20% gain in air space. I've never heard this, is there any truth in it or is it some BS? Here's his exact quote.

"remember when do multible subs in common chamber you can caculate a 20% gain in precieved air space when they share a common chamber so if 1 sub uses 1cf 2 can be tuned the same in a 1.6 cf box and 4 can work in 3.0 so keep this in mind when doing multiable subs"
    If that were true. Wouldn't tuning get thrown out the window as you added woofers to a ported application?

//Alpine 9887
    CDT BCK-26A tweets
    CDT ES-6 mids
    JL 450/4v2
    JL 500/1v2
    JL 12W6v2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjhabit View Post
    If that were true. Wouldn't tuning get thrown out the window as you added woofers to a ported application?
    You would still tune the box same as you normally would, taking into account displacement of the port and speakers used.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teggybwoy View Post
    so tell me if im hearing right, if i put 2 subs in an enclosure sharing the same port/chamber its gonna be louder than 2 subs that are seperated? so this is one big box for 2 subs?
    No. What I am discussing is that if you run 2 subs in the same enclosure, you should shrink it 20% in order to see the same performance.

pjhabit is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bball09124 View Post
    You would still tune the box same as you normally would, taking into account displacement of the port and speakers used.
    I don't think you quite understood. When you add airspace the tuning frequency changes. Meaning you'd also need to modify the port to keep the same tuning ie, you can't drop the same 6" aero's in 4 ft^3 & 2 ft^3 & expect the same tuning frequency.
    So the question I propose. Is the port immune to this "perceived" airspace? If so how do the subs get so lucky?

//Alpine 9887
    CDT BCK-26A tweets
    CDT ES-6 mids
    JL 450/4v2
    JL 500/1v2
    JL 12W6v2

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast