Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Mark, Ramos, Mike ... Fiberglass Port ?'s.

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mark, Ramos, Mike ... Fiberglass Port ?'s.

First would like to say thanks to Mark for putting up with my questions on IM and boosting my confidence to tackle a fiberglass box for the hatch

1. Make base and back for the box and connect together.
    2. Make sub baffles.
    3. Secure baffles where I want them in the box with wooden dowels and hot glue.

Ok ... I understand that. But I want to go ported.

I was thinking all you would need to do is get a 3" or 4" wide rectangle by like 10" or 12" tall, make it out of 3/4" MDF, but make it only a frame ... like 2" long ... so I can attatch a proper port length to it after once I fill it with water and figure out what length I need. I really don't want just a rectangle port ... I want the fiberglass to kind of "flow" into it, so smooth edges as opposed to square. Is my idea of making a rectangle and placing it where I want it and holding it up with dowels a good idea? Or is there a differen't way I should do it when the time comes?

Does resin+hardener stick to plywood ?

When the time comes to 'glass, I only put the resin over the baffles so it covers the wood and about 2" or so over, right?

Oh, and when I make my base ... I make a little 3" frame to go around it. Now I just tack that in place with a couple dabs of hot glue. When I stretch the cotton fleece over the baffles and port, I glue the fleece to the underside of the base or the edge of the base, and then I only use the resin up to the little 3" wide frame I made, right?

I think that covers most of my questions at this point ... if not I'm sure you'll be hearing about it Thanks guys.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Be creative with port make it a bow tie Let's see here. There's a couple of ways. your way is one of them. Depending upon the shape You build a frame to put the port in after you stretch out your fleece. Or the way I usually do it. I stretch out my fleece over the entire enclosure. While I'm doing this. I make sure there aren't going to be any obstructions where I want the port. Then I soak the fleece in the resin. Once it's dry take my handy dandy dremel/rotozip or something of the like. Trace out my port. Then follow the port outline a 1/2" on the inside of your port outline. This will give you some fleece to attach the port to. Then get to trimming. it's not hard at all to cut through the resined fleece. Then depending upon the material the port is made of. I attach it to the fleece. Screws for wood. If it's pvc or something plastic. Your gonna have to put some deep scratches in it on the outside of it to give the resin something get a hold of. I attach the pvc and plastic ports with epoxy. Once everything is dry. I get to layin' down the mat

Yep it sticks like a son of a b!tch

Yeah you that will work. Or you can cover the whole baffle if you want. But you don't have to. Some people do some don't. I'm lazy and hate sanding. So I live strongly by the less is more theory

Yep resin to the frame. Also i usually put a layer of mat on the frame to attach it to the fleece before i remove it. Just to stiffen it up a little

d@mn quick reply my a$$

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright man, thanks ... that answered everything

Looks like I won't be buying any MDF ... 1" thick plywood for the base and I'll double it to 2" for the back

Thanks again,

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah man

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well ... I was at one of the local hardware store's today.

They had some Bondo Fiberglass Resin and Hardener ... only came in one size, 1 PT.

They also had some figerglass cloth which said on the package it covered an 8sq.ft. area. It looked pretty thin and Im guessing I'd be needing about 8-10 packages of that stuff ... and it wasn't cheap.

Will be checking out an automotive specialty store after to see what they have, and then to go get a price on some cotton fleece.

My questions arise once again ... keep in mind I am doing the box as well as kick's. The box will end up having like a 38w x 24d base, and a 38w x 20h base.

How much resin+hardener do I need?
    How much fiberglass cloth do I need?
    How much cotton fleece do I need?

Thanks again

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, and would it be a good idea for me to use a 3" wide frame for the port, or 4" wide ... I think would have enough room for a 4" wide port if needed.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Mark, Ramos, Mike ... Fiberglass Port ?'s.

I love fiberglast.com. I usually buy all of my mat from them.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Mark, Ramos, Mike ... Fiberglass Port ?'s.

Quote Originally Posted by ss3079
    Well ... I was at one of the local hardware store's today.

They had some Bondo Fiberglass Resin and Hardener ... only came in one size, 1 PT.

They also had some figerglass cloth which said on the package it covered an 8sq.ft. area. It looked pretty thin and Im guessing I'd be needing about 8-10 packages of that stuff ... and it wasn't cheap.

Will be checking out an automotive specialty store after to see what they have, and then to go get a price on some cotton fleece.

My questions arise once again ... keep in mind I am doing the box as well as kick's. The box will end up having like a 38w x 24d base, and a 38w x 20h base.

How much resin+hardener do I need?
    How much fiberglass cloth do I need?
    How much cotton fleece do I need?

Thanks again

- Steve

I would say two gallons of resin, and a pint of catalyst. give or take a little.

For the box and kicks. 5-10 yds. Depending upon how thick you want it. And what weight you get.

3 or 4 yards of fleece will do the job and leave you a little to expirament with .

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Re: Mark, Ramos, Mike ... Fiberglass Port ?'s.

4 inch if you can. It will give the glass more to hold onto.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    2 gallons of resin and a couple extra tubes of hardener sounds good ...

I'll stick to just the box for now, so I'll probably go with whatever is in these 7 or 8 packages of resin/hardener/matt.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

Closed Thread