Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 12" Alpine Type S in a Ported Box

Darkshines is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

12" Alpine Type S in a Ported Box

Hey everybody, just registered, read through the stickies, and decided I'd make a post.

My roommate had two Type S in a terribly tuned and built box, and he severely underpowered them. He overdrove the amp and blew one of the subs, but the other one was still working and I took a look at it and it seems ok. We hooked it up by itself and it wasn't distorting so I think it's still healthy.

Anyways, he gifted his sub, box, and amp to me. I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT, with Alpine Type R 5.25 comps in the front, and Type R 6x9s in the back off an Alpine deck. I've been putting off getting some low end for a while, and figure I might as well take advantage of what he gave me for free.

So, the plan is to scrap the old box and build a new ported box for the one sub. Alpine suggests a volume of between 1.25 and 2.00 cubic feet for a ported box, so after reading the stickies, I examined the "Free Box Plans" thread, and took a look at the schematics for a 1.6 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hz.

I've never did any graphic modeling or anything, but I downloaded a copy of SketchUp, and gave it a shot. An hour later, after thorough reference to the free box plan schematics, I came up with a model of the box:

Any tips? Suggestions? Criticisms? Anything? Good box? Bad box? Should I go sealed instead? I'm new to all of this really, so feel free to spill your knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

edit - Yes, I know there is no top on it.

91Chevy is offline Resident Metalhead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 12" Alpine Type S in a Ported Box

The cutout for the subwoofer isn't actually 12". Download the factory tech specs, and it will tell you the mounting diameter.

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1.6cf seems a bit on the small side for a 12" ported. Is that what Alpine's spec is? If so, go ahead and build away. And like was mentioned above, don't make the cutout a full 12"

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91Chevy View Post
    The cutout for the subwoofer isn't actually 12". Download the factory tech specs, and it will tell you the mounting diameter.
    Thank you very much, it's actually 11.4". Question two, is the box that I found in the sticky a good box, or should I build it exactly to Alpine's specificiations?

Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    1.6cf seems a bit on the small side for a 12" ported. Is that what Alpine's spec is? If so, go ahead and build away. And like was mentioned above, don't make the cutout a full 12"
    Alpine lists between 1.25 and 2.0 cubic feet, with 1.55 being the optimum.

DonCorleone is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshines View Post
    Thank you very much, it's actually 11.4". Question two, is the box that I found in the sticky a good box, or should I build it exactly to Alpine's specificiations?

Alpine lists between 1.25 and 2.0 cubic feet, with 1.55 being the optimum.
    Go with the one in the sticky, most of the time you can build a better box then what the manufacturers put their recommended box size at.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
    Go with the one in the sticky, most of the time you can build a better box then what the manufacturers put their recommended box size at.
    Awesome! Is there an easy way to increase the tuning frequency a few hz? Ideally I'd like to get to 35 hz. I imagine it'll involve lengthening or shortening the port.

I read somewhere hear that you're supposed to tune several hz higher than the desired frequency, any truth to this?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bump!

Closed Thread