Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Door panel SQ question

theputz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Door panel SQ question

When making custom door panels if the speaker is mounted in the door panel now opposed to the door do you loose sound quality? I think you would because the speaker isnít in a sealed enclosure. If you mount it in the door you can seal the door but how can you create a seal when mounting to the door? The other option of a door pod wonít work because I donít want the speaker to stick out to far. Thoughts?

Trey803 is offline GAMECOCKS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Door panel SQ question

if it were completely sealed and deadened then no you would not lose sq

HU: DEH-80PRS
    Doors Deadened
    Front Stage: Rainbow SLC 265
    Front Stage Amp: Image Dynamics i2600
    Sub: Dayton RSS210HF-4 8"
    Sub Amp: Image Dynamics i2300
    Wire: Knu

Tehgregzor is offline Enjoys loud noises.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You sure do have a pretty mouth.

95 Trans Am Convertible
    LT1 Corvette Motor
    My brand new project. Literally the most stock system i've had since 16.

Linkz is offline Low Bass Junkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only thing that matters is that the enclosure the speaker is mounted to is sealed. Mounting to the door panel should be the same as mounting to the door itself....

My feedback thread [scammers in red]
    bought from: fatboyracing, Pottro 563, Max Power, JHughes, TeamSouthrnBass, stupify

04 Ford Explorer
    System:
    HU: AVH-P4100
    Sub: Omega 18" D1 (9.5cuft@34hz)
    Sub amp - PA BAMF5500/1D (something new soon)
    Highs/Mids - 9.2/9.4 (not installed)

WTB: Omega 18" D1 (Pst offer)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

but if you mounted the speaker to the door panel it wouldnt be sealed it would be free air. Right?

Linkz is offline Low Bass Junkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theputz View Post
    but if you mounted the speaker to the door panel it wouldnt be sealed it would be free air. Right?
    mounting to the panel is mounting to the door. What kind of speaker are you talking about...unless you glued it to the ****ing panel its going to mount inside the door and be flush with the paneling.

My feedback thread [scammers in red]
    bought from: fatboyracing, Pottro 563, Max Power, JHughes, TeamSouthrnBass, stupify

04 Ford Explorer
    System:
    HU: AVH-P4100
    Sub: Omega 18" D1 (9.5cuft@34hz)
    Sub amp - PA BAMF5500/1D (something new soon)
    Highs/Mids - 9.2/9.4 (not installed)

WTB: Omega 18" D1 (Pst offer)

Mike465 is offline Ami Creations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theputz View Post
    When making custom door panels if the speaker is mounted in the door panel now opposed to the door do you loose sound quality? I think you would because the speaker isn’t in a sealed enclosure. If you mount it in the door you can seal the door but how can you create a seal when mounting to the door? The other option of a door pod won’t work because I don’t want the speaker to stick out to far. Thoughts?
    You don't have to make the panel stick out very far from the door. If you want to creat an encloser for the speakers here is what you will do. Depending on what kind of car you have you should have an opening in the inner door skin. (the sheat metal right behing the door panel) You need to check the clearence of how much room you have between the door skin and when window when it is down. Then you will mask off the opening and prep it for glassing. Next you will build you speaker baffles and secure them to the door panel. Next put your door panel back on the door. Then you will glass inside the door panel and the area you masked off making sure that you glass it to the door panel. Once it cures you pop off the panel which will have you enclosre attached to it. Next you glass your door panel, and you know what to do from there.

Ami Creations: Professionally Built Affordable Enclosures
    Specializing in custom enclosure design and fabrication

******* Now offering Do it yourself Box Kits *******
    Follow us on Facebook!

For information on custom enclosures, DIY kits or HID kits please PM or email us at Mike.AmiCreations@gmail.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

before we continue let me clairify some things before we continue. My definition of door panel is the plastic door cover where the arm rest and such are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike465 View Post
    You don't have to make the panel stick out very far from the door. If you want to creat an encloser for the speakers here is what you will do. Depending on what kind of car you have you should have an opening in the inner door skin. (the sheat metal right behing the door panel) You need to check the clearence of how much room you have between the door skin and when window when it is down. Then you will mask off the opening and prep it for glassing. Next you will build you speaker baffles and secure them to the door panel. Next put your door panel back on the door. Then you will glass inside the door panel and the area you masked off making sure that you glass it to the door panel. Once it cures you pop off the panel which will have you enclosre attached to it. Next you glass your door panel, and you know what to do from there.
    Thanks but the question is not how to do it but if instead of making seaked door pods if i were to simply make custom door panels and mount the speaker in the door panel will i loose low end grunt compared to a speaker mounted in the door or an enclosed door pod?

HawaiianBassHed is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

unless your panel is airtight and isolates the front and backwaves of the speaker yeah it'll reduce output... the whole idea of mounting it to the door, then making it airtight is to isolate front and backwaves

more toys than money, more work than time, more betchin from the wife and one more reason to drink..

Closed Thread