Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help with MDF...

mr.ikon is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help with MDF...

This is going to be my attempt in building my first box. This will be made for a '91 MR2 which is very limited on room. Since I'll be using one Sundown E8 and bridging a PDX 150.4 and setting the gain fairly low, can I get away with using 1/2" or should use 3/4" MDF? Thanks.

grimreper912003 is offline <- getting a jAy eL 21W8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help with MDF...

Rashad uses .5 for his 18's with bracing so you might be able to get away with it. Sealed or ported?

Bought/trade: TheLow, Nova76, nate2587, Black3SQ, hessdawg, Rockmo, kovemaster559, GearGuy2001, Bones22, dbman150, notoriousroc1, fasfocus00, canyouhearmatt, pelekeliko, Plyer3, justadork2u, sundownz,kasimo420, Zeuslicious, reynardmc22, Haunz, ciaonzo x2, 350Regal x2, Worstenemy453, woofercooker x2, annarbor84, 99Bonney, K_Schutte + MORE

Sold to: illbmeubu, MTXman, sctattooer, MTX520, AlexJB, dropped mazda, annarbor84
    Nova76 Scammer

Quote Originally Posted by Worstenemy453 View Post
    Lmao i texted him to tell him bout a thread and he said, cant lulz, im at a tity bar. You ********* lulz.

hatemonger is offline funded*by*soros

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr.ikon View Post
    This is going to be my attempt in building my first box. This will be made for a '91 MR2 which is very limited on room. Since I'll be using one Sundown E8 and bridging a PDX 150.4 and setting the gain fairly low, can I get away with using 1/2" or should use 3/4" MDF? Thanks.
    you can use 1/2 inch on a smaller box. just use a little bracing and spray the inside with undercoating or similar.

2003 chevy s-10 ext. cab
    hu: jvc kd-avx1
    precision power 356cs components
    front amp: infinity 475a
    sub: diamond audio d6 10d4
    enclosure: 1.1 cubes ported tuned @ 31hz
    sub amp: JL G1700

DBBOOM is offline DWN4MYN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thickness used depends on the unbraced spans. There is a major difference in the strength of .5 and .75 though. Why bother with the .5?

Natural selection at work.

mr.ikon is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grimreper912003 View Post
    Rashad uses .5 for his 18's with bracing so you might be able to get away with it. Sealed or ported?
    I think I'll go sealed on this. I'd really like to go ported, but i'm very limited on space.

Quote Originally Posted by DBBOOM View Post
    Thickness used depends on the unbraced spans. There is a major difference in the strength of .5 and .75 though. Why bother with the .5?
    Dimensions of the compartment behind my seat is roughly 16x8x8. So space is a factor for me. Is it possible that roughly 200 watts is overkill for 1/2"?

IDSkoT is offline Resonating Reticular

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr.ikon View Post
    I think I'll go sealed on this. I'd really like to go ported, but i'm very limited on space.
    If you go sealed, you can use a round port (Aeroport. You can buy them on PartsExpress.com or use PVC piping) to save space. But, I have a triple chambered box, .75 on the sub chambers and some empty space inbetween. It's made out of 1/2 and it's solid as hell. Though, I do want to make a new box with 3/4 with a new design.

If you're afraid of flex, you can use dowels and glue them inside.

Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

Feedback Thread

Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )

Closed Thread