Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New to this, got a couple of q's

hatchetman is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New to this, got a couple of q's

Well I am gonna try and fiberglass a 12 into my spare tire well, I kinda have the gist, but I have a couple of q's
    First just for starters, I'm gonna use that Walmart Bondo Fiberglass kit, will this be ok for starters?

Second, I tape off the entire area with masking tape, then I am gonna use fleece as the base, now how do I get that to stay still and not move around while I brush in the resin?

Then use mat to build layers, do I dip this in resin, or paint it on?

Once it's strong enough, Iadd my rings, then stretch over stretchy fleece, and paintit again, add layers until it's thick enough.

With the airspace, do I just estimate, since sealed enclosures are always more forgiving than ported, It's easier to add than subtract.

Then I just add bondo smooth, then sand, plug and play.

Sound like I got it?

Thank you for ya'lls help
    J.D.

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: New to this, got a couple of q's

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hatchetman
    Well I am gonna try and fiberglass a 12 into my spare tire well, I kinda have the gist, but I have a couple of q's
    First just for starters, I'm gonna use that Walmart Bondo Fiberglass kit, will this be ok for starters?

Yep bondo brand will work. You will need more mat and resin than comes in the kit though.

Second, I tape off the entire area with masking tape, then I am gonna use fleece as the base, now how do I get that to stay still and not move around while I brush in the resin?

Hot glue, or masking tape. It just needs to hold for a little while. Once you get the resin onto the fleece it will hold by itself.

Then use mat to build layers, do I dip this in resin, or paint it on?

Either way. I prefer to paint it on as it is not as messy.

Once it's strong enough, Iadd my rings, then stretch over stretchy fleece, and paintit again, add layers until it's thick enough.

With the airspace, do I just estimate, since sealed enclosures are always more forgiving than ported, It's easier to add than subtract.

I always figure the volume of the largest square I can fit inside the enclosure. With a cardboard box. Then fill around the edges wth packing peanuts to get the volume.

Then I just add bondo smooth, then sand, plug and play.
    Sound like I got it?

Yep but it's probably more like. Add bondo sand, sand, little more bondo, sand, sand some more. Depending upon what your going to cover the enclosure with you may need to sand some more. Paint and vinyl the enclosure has to be baby butt smooth or the imperfections will show through. Carpet will allow you to get away with some of the imperfections.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

hihoslva is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The fleece is unnecessary. Just use fiberglass mat right over your masking tape.

The mat will make a fine mold, probably better than the fleece - and will be far less prone to breakage when pulling it out of the car.

Skip the fleece for the mold - totally unnecessary.

~HH

2002 Sunlight Silver Metallic Mazda Protege5
    Kenwood~Lanzar~Infinity~Peerless

Closed Thread