Reload Thread: my box couldnt possibly be any worse...I **** GOD ****IT

d audio 450 is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my box couldnt possibly be any worse...I **** GOD ****IT

it's official- im a frickin mechanical retard-

i get all the materials together spending a total of like 40 sum dollars...

50 screws, an entire container of wood glue, saw-dust ridden eyes, and a broken rotozip later... i end up with this PIECE OF **** FOR A BOX built by none other than yours truly...

picture a box...(made out of the wrong material in the first place), with wood glue seeping out of the gaping cracks left by the uneven placement of flat wood at ridiculously awkward angles, dented sides from mishandling, and green scribble on the sides from wrong math calculations. now, you are picturing my box...but wait it gets better-

even if this box was usable (which i guess is still possible...if wood glue is capable of sealing airtight reeeeeeal well) its volume inside is exactly 2.9467618778281. now....this box is for a brahma 15....or was supposed to be for a brahma 15, now unless the 15" brahmas displacement is exactly .94...cuft then i have to figure out a way to stuff some **** in there to get 2.0 cuft as recommended by adire's tech guys. or- i find a way to magiclly make it 3cuft and port it tuned to 26hz...

one thing is for sure...and that is i wont be attempting to build another peice of **** for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

hope you enjoyed my rant.
    -pat

mgaidica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    haha, whered that thread go about ugly box's being best?!

2x JBL 1200.1 for sale...

AIM- Mgaidica

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i cant tell if the box is gonna be usable- glue is still drying and i still have some screws to put in (like the last 3) . could the brahma like slowly blow this thing apart? cuz i dont know how strong it is- its not mdf thanks to that ******* at home depot (but who's really the ******* here? lol) its this weird particle board, not flakeboard, but its a lighter color than mdf, heavy as ****, and a ***** to work with. and im trying to think of what i could secure inside it to **** up airspace...so i can get it down to 2cuft after discplacement...
    thanks
    -pat

dbhittin is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mgaidica
    haha, whered that thread go about ugly box's being best?!
    Thats the thread i made. I really think u should give it a try, look at my box, and look what #'s it does

Clarion_Guy is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just finshed my box for my single MTX 8000 12 ... things didn't go perfectly planned...

I was suppose to have a net 3.16 Cubic .. ended up with 2.8 or so...

was suppose to be tuned at 27 hz ... I did one mesurement wrong when extending the port.. therefore I ened up with 29-30 hz...

Man.. I dunno if it was smart to go so low .... I should have done 34-35 hz...

I think it was too low.. yes when i played something that had Low bass it knocked me out.. but in general music.. it just didn't have any punch or force...

but i think it just shakes the streets :S:S:S ohhh noooo..!

Mercureie is offline Stay in S-C-H-O-O-L

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i wouldn't stress too much bout gettin it down to exactly 2 cuft unless u wanna feed it lotsa power. the only things a larger box will do is extend the low end, produce a flatter response and decrease power handling. so if u watch the power u send it u should be fine. and if ur worried bout leaks jus go get some silicone sealant(bout 1.50 a tube) and seal all the seams. if u do this make sure u wait to put the sub in until its dry because the fumes can eat away the surround.

Car:'02 Nissan Xterra
    HU: Premier DEH-4400
    Comps: SPR-176A type-r 6.5's
    Comp amp: Zapco reference 200
    Sub:Re 15HC
    Sub amp: Hifonics Bx1000
    Box: 2.5 cuft sealed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man I must have gotten lucky....My ported box I made turned out really nice. It's really neat and should be tuned perfectly (35 Hz). The only thing I'm afraid of is port noise. 2 12" SE's with a port that is 14.6" x 1.8". Hope someone else can share some of my luck.

98 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L

H/U: Alpine
    Speakers: Polk 6.5" GXR
    Amp: Hifonics BX1500D
    Subs: 2 12" RE SE's
    Box: Custom 3.3 Cubic foot ported
    Box tuned to 35 Hz
    In The Making: 5.1 cubic foot Box
    Ported to 28 Hz with
    Pluged Port (35 Hz)

bigred78797 is offline Audiobahn Junkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well i must say that your first box was probably a little bit better than mine. First off i didn't know that much about boxes so the box was really big. it was about 4 ft^3... not including the port which was over 40" long with over 250"^2 of surface area for the port.. lol. My cuts weren't straight... I used nails instead of screws... Tried to used duct tape for sealing. I hauled that heavy box out to my parents explorer and fit it in there after taking down the back seats. ran the wire from my amp in my car to it turned the volume up and blew the top clean off the box.... That's when i realized nails don't work. It was really loud for that little while that the top was intact. Really loud for one $40 12" sub @ 20hz. I said all this that we all ( except for those who just know everything) have our rough beginnings just keep tryin. God i sound like my parents.

Bumpin03 is offline James Madison University

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    listen man....who cares if you have cracks....every single one i have made does too. take some caulk and fill in the cracks. as for it blowing apart....slap some more wood glue in there and if u want more...by some L brackets to put inside the box to keep the sides together. Your "horrible" box still might not look great....but might perform better then a good looking box.

- Bumpin03 -
    06 Nissan Altima 2.5s
    Pioneer Premier 740mp
    Kicker RS5 Components
    Kicker 6x9's
    2 12" AA Assassins
    Profile CL1200

BDIDDY is offline Sittin' Slick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah to me it doesnt really matter what it looks like just what it sounds like. This is your first box and you are probably doing it by yourself. But just have patients and doent give up just because you screw up on one little thing. But if you give up on that brahma give me an email bdiddy7@hotmail.com

"Just have to remember to take everything in stride, and don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today because there might not be a tomorrow. " <---- RAMOS

Profliepower is the funniest guy ever...

andy00018 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Miller
    Man I must have gotten lucky....My ported box I made turned out really nice. It's really neat and should be tuned perfectly (35 Hz). The only thing I'm afraid of is port noise. 2 12" SE's with a port that is 14.6" x 1.8". Hope someone else can share some of my luck.
    My port is 18.5 X 2 and i get sooo much port noise its not even funny, hope you have better luck, iam pushing 1 HC

91 Mustang GT
    Panasonic head unit
    '03 12 spoke 15" HC d2- FOR SALE-MAKE AN OFFER
    Avionixx 800.2 in.-FOR SALE-ME AN OFFER

AOL: Andy000018

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Originally posted by d audio 450
    i cant tell if the box is gonna be usable- glue is still drying and i still have some screws to put in (like the last 3) . could the brahma like slowly blow this thing apart? cuz i dont know how strong it is- its not mdf thanks to that ******* at home depot (but who's really the ******* here? lol) its this weird particle board, not flakeboard, but its a lighter color than mdf, heavy as ****, and a ***** to work with. and im trying to think of what i could secure inside it to **** up airspace...so i can get it down to 2cuft after discplacement...
    thanks
    -pat
    Is it as heavy like computer furniture? Maybe you got lucky and ended up with HDF.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i just put like a pound of silicone sealant in this biznatch...if it leaks...you can knock me down and call me sally.
    -pat

Closed Thread