Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about the free box plans in the stickies

Pantani is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about the free box plans in the stickies

Is it safe to assume that these plans are going to work for just about any driver? I am new to any kind of box "designing" especially ported. I usually just follow the mfgs recommended sealed enclosure airspace requirement and go from there. I have 2 8" Rockford Fosgate HX2s and was hoping to build a box tuned at around 32hz. I've never had these guys in a ported box and was wanting to give it a shot.

dman4486 is offline Paid to Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about the free box plans in the stickies

Every driver will respond differently and have a different "response curve" in varying enclosures. The only way to know what yours will look like is to have someone plot it for you, but I am not at my personal computer so I can not do it.

the plans are proven designs that will work, but your response for the airspace and tuning will vary.

Auto: 96 honda passport 3.2L v6 4X4 5sp
    Big 3 pics--THE MAV--THE RSD's--MY VLX
    Rices Creek Pics

Refs: Sold to; lilmaniac2, alexdbest2000, jshak07 Bought from; CJL

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Using WinISD I came up with 1.29 cu ft, tuned to 32.11hz with a square port 10.5" tall by 2" wide with a 3.092' length (I made the port height and width dimensions the same as the 1.25cu ft box plan here((http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?im...z21sqin4qf.png)). I've just started using this program and have tried to read some tutorials, I believe I'm getting a pretty flat frequency plot. There isn't much on the T/S numbers for this driver, and it isn't a driver that is included in the stock WinISD program, but I filled in what I could find as an "own driver", still not sure if I did all that right though.

I looked at the 1.25 @ 32hz and have they have similar port length numbers. I think that plan has a port length of 3'4.5" if my math was correct. Seems pretty close.

I just don't want to make a mistake before I go to cutting up the wood this upcoming weekend.

WhoSayWho? is offline Preston Caught a Predator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    Using WinISD I came up with 1.29 cu ft, tuned to 32.11hz with a square port 10.5" tall by 2" wide with a 3.092' length (I made the port height and width dimensions the same as the 1.25cu ft box plan here((http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?im...z21sqin4qf.png)). I've just started using this program and have tried to read some tutorials, I believe I'm getting a pretty flat frequency plot. There isn't much on the T/S numbers for this driver, and it isn't a driver that is included in the stock WinISD program, but I filled in what I could find as an "own driver", still not sure if I did all that right though.

I looked at the 1.25 @ 32hz and have they have similar port length numbers. I think that plan has a port length of 3'4.5" if my math was correct. Seems pretty close.

I just don't want to make a mistake before I go to cutting up the wood this upcoming weekend.

Check out the Fisher Customs site. I am pretty sure one of the services that he offers through his site is to come up with plans. Not sure who is doing that for BJ.

Trey803 is offline GAMECOCKS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also your vehicle's interior design will affect or maybe effect the low end of the curve also. cabin gain

HU: DEH-80PRS
    Doors Deadened
    Front Stage: Rainbow SLC 265
    Front Stage Amp: Image Dynamics i2600
    Sub: Dayton RSS210HF-4 8"
    Sub Amp: Image Dynamics i2300
    Wire: Knu

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trey803 View Post
    also your vehicle's interior design will affect or maybe effect the low end of the curve also. cabin gain
    The vehicle is a '03 Mazda 6.

Also, I was hoping to be able to just get it figured out for myself. Seeing as how Fisher uses WinISD for their port calculations too, I figure my (or maybe a helpful forum members) calculations can't be much off.

WhoSayWho? is offline Preston Caught a Predator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    The vehicle is a '03 Mazda 6, and thanks for the idea about Fishers site. Was hoping to be able to just get it figured out for myself, seeing as how they use WinISD for their port calculations too, I figure it can't be much off.
    True -- it may not be end up being a dimes worth of difference. I just don't have enough confidnece in my work when I only have the need for a new box every couple years or so.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WhoSayWho? View Post
    True -- it may not be end up being a dimes worth of difference. I just don't have enough confidnece in my work when I only have the need for a new box every couple years or so.
    Either way I do appreciate the feedback. This enclosure is basically just going to be filler till I can get the funds together for the 12" IDMax V.3, not looking for anything stellar.

Closed Thread