Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: 4 15" AQ box help, few different designs n port options, port forward suv?

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4 15" AQ box help, few different designs n port options, port forward suv?

After checking out my car a bit more and taking rough measurements and doing some r&d bs with my current setup I think Im gonna buy 2 more AQ SDC 2.5 15's and go for 4 15" ported. But Im tight for air space, I think I'll get something like 14 cubes net total if I go with the oddshape box and go pretty close to the back of my rear seat.

I have some port questions though. Im currently running the 2 15's @ 38 hz and its port up sub back, which works great and hits hard, but the box is a cube so I rolled it over and went sub forward port up, and it was exactly the same almost identical, the port up may have been a little louder. But what I wana do is put it subs BACK and port PREFERABLY forward (toward head). Possiby with PVC ports. slong the top of the box above the rear heat.

Here a few pix that explain it alot better, see what I mean about making an odd shaped rear wall to get the most space out of my trunk..... harder to build but I need all the space I can get, dad might give me a hand with the angles.

So the tops of the port forward boxes would look like this. Side by side labelled

Slot Forward

PVC Ported

I dont know anything about using PVC for prots so Im gonna have to reasearch, but I dont think HUGE aeroports like Im gonna need is gonna be in my budget at all when 8-12" PVC would be good for this daily driver.

I dont have any cubic feet numbers so I dont know exactly how big these ports have to be. I think Im gonna have roughly 14 cubes net though, and the AQ SDc 2.5's will be fine on 12sq/in per cube per sub. But theres different measurements to get lenght and diameter with pvc ports right? Anyone have a link? Gonna have to research that.

Just trying to gauge which setup I should be leaning towards....

opinions please

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 4 15" AQ box help, few different designs n port options, port forward suv?

bump it, need advice, taking out my old box today and figuring out exactly how much room ive got

wu501 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

don't care for the box design.

Use this port calculator:

http://www.psp-inc.com/

Chad McCan is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't have the port at the top of the back seats. I'd put it at the bottom. It's going to be obnoxious blowing on peoples head. If you want to see something from the front, put a plexi panel so you can see in the box. I'd do whatever is easiest for you. If it's a slot port, do that, if you have round ports and way to cut nice holes, do that.

Thanks,

Chad McCan
    CarAudioPlanet.Com

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I just worked it out and Ive got 17 cubic feet roughly internal

Im thinking a slot port UP towards the roof might be the best idea since there will be a few inches gap between the roof and the port at that point and not much room behind the seats if I were to put it at the bottom of the box

I'll sketch up a drawing

skateboardkid is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about 4 subs firing forward with a slot port down the drivers side, SPL wall style? You might have the height x width to do so.

I think you might need more than a few inches above the port to achieve best sound at least as much clearance as the port is wide... Just so its not restricted.

The slot port might be the easiest to construct considerign you are gonna need plenty of port area.

“It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.”
    -Benjamin Frankin

Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    True midbass begins when the impact is so accurate and realistic that it sounds like someone is beating on the front part of your dash with a baseball bat.

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Ive never tried port forward so I dont know how it would sound.... BUT

My box will be 37.5" wide, and only 31.5 tall. The 4 subs in a perfect tight square need 31" X 31" so I wouldnt have enough room to do port forward if I did subs forward

I wanted to do subs back becuase they would fit perfect on the back wall against the hatch, 2 on the vertical wall, and 2 on the slanted. And then either port forward or port up.

And yes. I need something like 220-250sq/in of port area..... so its gonna be a big port.

djjdnap is offline FreakyFreaks ofall Freaks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i agree wt skateboard

KArAudio.COM

OMGROFLHI2ULOLLERZTITSHAHAHAHASEALEDMTWTFSTFUKTHXB YENO0B
    -Nick

bass-aholic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    Well Ive never tried port forward so I dont know how it would sound.... BUT

My box will be 37.5" wide, and only 31.5 tall. The 4 subs in a perfect tight square need 31" X 31" so I wouldnt have enough room to do port forward if I did subs forward

I wanted to do subs back becuase they would fit perfect on the back wall against the hatch, 2 on the vertical wall, and 2 on the slanted. And then either port forward or port up.

And yes. I need something like 220-250sq/in of port area..... so its gonna be a big port.
    Actually with those measurements you could do the subs/port forward and it will be a VERY tight fit. I would NEVER do subs back in a wall like that, thats just me though.

Synyster97XLT
    Science can fly planes across oceans. Religion sends them straight into buildings.

2 18" btl's
    10^3 35 hz
    2 GP3000d pro's.
    250 amp alt
    3 extra batts
    8 5" dayton mids
    Rockford p300.2
    All knu fleks 1/0
    CD-IB100II

Refs and feedback \/
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431785

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

really 4 subs forward eh, and an extremely tight port close to it only 1/2 exposed to the seat?

There isnt alot of room between the box and the rear seat, obviously the top is open, but the box will be 1-2" away where the seat is leaned back the most, maybe 4-5" away at the bottom of the taper of the seat....

Didnt think that was enough clearance

Hmmmm, maybe I can keep my seats folded forwards..... I dont even kno how much the fold Ive never tried to fold them forward before lol

hazardous0388 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice pics

refs: zeuslicious(Christian)x8---nomad40---shallowfu---adio---pioneerpimp---fiercetimbo17---hayden---BLD 25--flakko---R-sosa----denim---woc47----lilmaniac2(Chad Kevin motha ****in Hicks)----newtitan---IgnoreMe(George)---JBGabriel---BuddyChrist----KingRanch---assman---MitchZ---JoeSmith502---The Low x2---Fiery---dragnix---tapout -383---splguru---sq wat 4---PimpDaddyq---Mr_Imperial---AbsoluteAudio---KHARPS---Sotelomichael---dt053---cmobley---SomeDonnieDude---ax600---SQcrewcab--Zachfeen--Power-Fanatic07--t4r505--

"You almost had me? You never had your subs. Ask any bass racer. Any true bass racer. Its not about how much a piece of equipment costs. Its how you install it."

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love makin pics like that lol, helps me think... cuz its 4am and I gotta work soon lol

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just bought the second set of 15's from though so hoping they will be here this week. And Im either gonna run them with a pair of cadence txa 1000d's Ive got (dont wanna run them though they make weird noises) or Ive got an eye on a Hifonics Brutus 4000. WIll do 2700+ @ 2ohm giving the woofers a bit more then spec power but Im sure they can take it

Still debating on which design to go with

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And **** if I went port forward sub forward, I might aswell wall the sum***** cheaply with a beauty panel and some stuffing........

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SO you guys are saying I should build it like this, dont mind the crude pic.

And I guess I would just mount the amps on the back of the box...

I'll have to see if I can squeeze enough port area in there, I think it would be good though

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast