Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: My first fiberglass bezel

Bigrick31 is offline Carpe Diem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My first fiberglass bezel

So on pre 03 model crown victorias the dash bezel and the air vents are set up in a way that do not allow for a double din head unit. having just bought a pioneer avic-z2 i had to figure out a way to get around this problem. one approach is to bet a bezel and air vents from an 03 or newer vic however to install the new air vents you have to take out the entire dash from the car which isnt the most fun thing in the world. so i decided to try my hand at a little fiberglassing. i have done speaker boxs before but nothing that requires some nice finish work.

here is a pic of the bezel opening. I also purchased a double din install kit from pioneer to help with the installation

my first step was to cut out the bezel big enough to fit the double din unit and mounting brackets. for this i used an air saw.

next i took the trim ring that came with the install kit and lined it up so it looked square and level then hot glued it in place.

I then took the cage provided in the kit and set it on the backside of my trim ring only i set it in reverse.

i then used hot glue to set the cage in place as well

Fusion_FREAK is offline Story of My Life...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My first fiberglass bezel

Is there a missing part? I see no fiberglass.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I then went to Tap Plastics by my house and bough some fiberglass resin, chopped fiberglass in a jar, a bucket, hardener, brushes, filler putty, and color additives.

fiberglass on the front of the dash

fiberglass on the back now.

this is the next morning after the glass had dried. at first i let the glass dry for about 30 minutes and took a razor blade and trimmed off the excess glass.

jco1385 is offline expert jcologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_FREAK View Post
    Is there a missing part? I see no fiberglass.
    i was gonna say this, then i was like "oh yeah, probably gonna finish it up in post #2"

1994 Thunderbird
    JVC KD-AV7010
    Alpine 6x9 3-ways
    Pioneer 6x8 3-ways (rear)
    JVC CH-X1500 12-disc MP3 Changer
    Alpine Type X 12" 2 cubes @ 30hz
    MTX 404 runs the inside
    MTX 1501d runs the X
    Optima G75/25 RT up front
    2x Optima G31 YT in the trunk
    200a EA HO Alt (1/0 Big 3)
    ALL MY WIRE IS WELDING CABLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    I always knew I was a feggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashaddd View Post
    We're all feggots on the inside
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoTom View Post
    I am sure the administration will be having a few words with you when they catch wind of your language.
    DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING USING UPS. I WILL NOT DEAL WITH THEM EVER AGAIN
    OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD

speedfreak28 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

may turn out okay but proer preparation is key, you may have to end up sanding and painting that entire bezel now. it looks like theres fiberlgass everywhere. SEm paint can match the finish good luck sir.

2005 QC dodge ram for now
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Sold To:defj. HowLowd, backthepack, thegreatestpenn, acura2005, headbussaboi, SPY, rc10mike, protown, flipGTO, ECS23, Jeremy M, dt053, r.sosa, blubberbutt, macq32,civicman07, fast85_gt, fatboyracing, cbrei1023, 96tbird, ado, SPL-Master,JHughes, FJF, blackdragonaudi, bnacht, niggz89, ggjeff, SoCalBean420
    Bought From Blunt, Kawasaki SXT-R, Kickinaudio, valant_94gt, HATCHET_WARRIOR, orangecounty1, teh korndog, kmanian, NJAV1, mr_kebo, lilmaniac2, 99grandprixGT, JBLCamry, jh8909
    traded with dropped_mazda,

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i then covered parts of the dash in masking tape so i wouldn't get filler all over the place.

this is actually the second coat of filler. the stuff i bought was gray for the second layer i mixed in a green additive.

did a little sanding

after my third coat with a yellow additive this time and again i sanded it down using 80grit sand paper i believe.

had to test fit the unit.

wanted to make sure everything fit in the car ok. had to sand off a little excess fiberglass on the back.

that is where my project sits right now. i have to go out and do a lot more sanding to get it ready for primer and paint. comments and suggestions are welcome as this is my first attempt anything that could make the process easier or any advice to prep for paint would be appreciated.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak28 View Post
    may turn out okay but proer preparation is key, you may have to end up sanding and painting that entire bezel now. it looks like theres fiberlgass everywhere. SEm paint can match the finish good luck sir.
    i plan on painting the entire thing. i have to smooth the rest of the bezel first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

posted before you did that last set of pics. starting to look good now, but like i said SEM has paints that will match the oem platic color.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Sold To:defj. HowLowd, backthepack, thegreatestpenn, acura2005, headbussaboi, SPY, rc10mike, protown, flipGTO, ECS23, Jeremy M, dt053, r.sosa, blubberbutt, macq32,civicman07, fast85_gt, fatboyracing, cbrei1023, 96tbird, ado, SPL-Master,JHughes, FJF, blackdragonaudi, bnacht, niggz89, ggjeff, SoCalBean420
    Bought From Blunt, Kawasaki SXT-R, Kickinaudio, valant_94gt, HATCHET_WARRIOR, orangecounty1, teh korndog, kmanian, NJAV1, mr_kebo, lilmaniac2, 99grandprixGT, JBLCamry, jh8909

GLN305 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Use some filler primer heavily over the glassed area and lightly over the rest of the bezel. San with some 400, then work your way up to finer grits. Spray with either SEM texture coat or get some spray bedliner from Wal Mart or Auto Zone. Either one will work as a texture. Seeing that the bezel is black, you could probably use Duplicolor flat black and it will look good.

da box king is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looks nice man

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also, what color is the car? maybe it would look nice painted to match or you could wrap it in dark suede, that would look nice.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak28 View Post
    also, what color is the car? maybe it would look nice painted to match or you could wrap it in dark suede, that would look nice.
    the car is going to be black right now it still has a police paint schme of navy blue and white doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice do a black leather and charcoal suede interior, that would clean especially on a bagged vic.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MikeyB is offline CarAudio.com Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks good man, theres some other products out there that work great as well. Look into duramix and fusor products.

Some duramix would have worked great for that little project

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/duramixadd.aspx

Refs- hessdawg, Pepsifiend69, iltoivfe, ownage9, lifted95blaze, Buckshot, da box king, Po.Sic, baseballer1100, vetkilr, dkguitarist, Queball, qtipextra, LaserRed38, 350_regal, RidnClean, BushJ311 and a bunch more...

TurdFergueson2 is offline Team D.O.A.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

will you be able to match the color of the bezel back or you don't care?

Sold to: Rc10Mike, Philpbak, pbnj123, WALKSUP, silvercookie, Sir Smoke Alot
    Bought from: Korn4life, chaunb3400, fasfocus, mlstrass, Bumpin Buick, wheeler8921, annarbor84

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_B View Post
    I pulled into the trailer park at around 3 am bumping my sony xplod 12 on sony amp. **** SLAMS!!!!!! Anways, I pulled up and it got all the girls wet.....I guess im an uncle and a dad now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_B View Post
    Don't listen to all the haters, their shiz doesnt knock...EDIT: Ohh yea, and by the way....before you haters start mouthing, I got my SLAB from wall-mart....that ish doesnt bang it XPLODES. Yea..I run sony... Schoche -SP box with 4 inch PVC downfiring into pasenger wheel well. 5-6 inch streamers...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast