Closed Thread

Reload Thread: hz??? newb question

a_steezy is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon11 hz??? newb question

so i'm totally confused on the different htz.

i'm all mixed up on.... if 32hz. is more towards sql? or spl?

and then what would 38 hz. be????

quick newb question

thanks

x2o
    x2o is offline Fuzzy Blue Lights

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: hz??? newb question

Hz is the frequency of the sound playing. Your question makes it seem your asking about box tuning however. In that case,

Generally, SQ boxes are tuned lower than SPL boxes, and it's easier to hit a higher number at a higher frequency burp (50hz, etc) while it will make music sound pretty bad. Musical boxes are generally tuned from 28-40, with 30-35 being the most common.

The System :
    Electrical: Big 3, Powermaster D1200 and D3100.
    Sub Stage : 18" Custom Sundown Nightshade D2 Tuned to 30 Hz
    Sub Amp : Sundown SAZ-3000D
    Headunit : Alpine 9887 (ACTIVE )
    Front Stage : (2) Eminence Delta 10" mids, 2 Power Acoustik NX-5s
    Rear Pro Audio: (4) 8" Selenium 8W4P, (2) Selenium ST350
    Pro Audio Amps: Hifonics ZXi6010, Hifonics ZXi1010, Kicker ZX350.4
    Wiring : Kicker Hyperflex/Knu 0ga/RCA's
    Refs : Apocalypse Boy, Brian Owens, JBLCamry, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, BushJ311, tEh koRnDog(x2), blackbonnie, ProjectPat06, ampjunkielikeme, DownSouth954, Tapout, PaulThompson229, Mrogowski, Team H&K (Kent), andrewmoore13, slam, 100% eBay

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alright got it, i was going for more box tuning sorry

but ya i'm going with a 15" L7 i should have by the 31st, so i'm saying it's sq is going to **** regardless, so i think ima tune around 38 hz.

does that kinda make sense?

x2o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by a_steezy View Post
    alright got it, i was going for more box tuning sorry

but ya i'm going with a 15" L7 i should have by the 31st, so i'm saying it's sq is going to **** regardless, so i think ima tune around 38 hz.

does that kinda make sense?
    Yeah that makes sense, but just because it's an L7 doesn't mean it won't sound decent. Sure, it's no RE XXX or anything, but it will still sound decent.

Also, do you plan on hitting the meter or is it just for listening?

I've found generally lower tuned boxes appear louder to the ear then a higher tuned box.

The System :
    Refs : Apocalypse Boy, Brian Owens, JBLCamry, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, BushJ311, tEh koRnDog(x2), blackbonnie, ProjectPat06, ampjunkielikeme, DownSouth954, Tapout, PaulThompson229, Mrogowski, Team H&K (Kent), andrewmoore13, slam, 100% eBay

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x2o View Post
    Yeah that makes sense, but just because it's an L7 doesn't mean it won't sound decent. Sure, it's no RE XXX or anything, but it will still sound decent.

Also, do you plan on hitting the meter or is it just for listening?

I've found generally lower tuned boxes appear louder to the ear then a higher tuned box.
    ya im not saying it's going to sound like poop, but like you said, l7 vs. XXX haha good joke right?? i'm a huge XXX fan, i'm just going for more deep, sound pressure if you get what i'm saying

but not for metering, and know what you're saying about lower tuned boxes, but they don't..... 'blow s hit up outside the car' as would a higher, deeper sub. just kinda what i'm going for, crazy i know lol, but i have a buddy with two 12" CVX's tuned to 35hz and the 750 amp, birthsheet 928, and it's nothing now, we can have a normal conversation in the front seats while people are quivering in the back, so i just want a little more, just enough for a noticeable difference. i want the sub to be able to be at a 'normal' lever, and be able to just keep turning it up

haha quite a bit but that's what i'm going for so i think it'll be good??

x2o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ya im not saying it's going to sound like poop, but like you said, l7 vs. XXX haha good joke right?? i'm a huge XXX fan, i'm just going for more deep, sound pressure if you get what i'm saying

but not for metering, and know what you're saying about lower tuned boxes, but they don't..... 'blow s hit up outside the car' as would a higher, deeper sub. just kinda what i'm going for, crazy i know lol, but i have a buddy with two 12" CVX's tuned to 35hz and the 750 amp, birthsheet 928, and it's nothing now, we can have a normal conversation in the front seats while people are quivering in the back, so i just want a little more, just enough for a noticeable difference. i want the sub to be able to be at a 'normal' lever, and be able to just keep turning it up

haha quite a bit but that's what i'm going for so i think it'll be good??
    Then for what you seem to want your going to want to tune 35-40hz. I'm tuning my MT to 38hz or so. And yeah I know what you mean, try it at 38hz. Every car and sub combination will react differently, so no matter who comes in here and say whatever it's not going to be 100% accurate for your case.

But your idea of 38hz is a very good start for what your going for, try it at 38. If you don't like it drop it to 35. Worst comes to worst you need to build a new box, no problem for me cause I find that **** fun.

Let us know how it turns out in the end though, you'd be surprised how many people here ask questions then never come back with the true results.

The System :

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x2o View Post
    Then for what you seem to want your going to want to tune 35-40hz. I'm tuning my MT to 38hz or so. And yeah I know what you mean, try it at 38hz. Every car and sub combination will react differently, so no matter who comes in here and say whatever it's not going to be 100% accurate for your case.

But your idea of 38hz is a very good start for what your going for, try it at 38. If you don't like it drop it to 35. Worst comes to worst you need to build a new box, no problem for me cause I find that **** fun.

Let us know how it turns out in the end though, you'd be surprised how many people here ask questions then never come back with the true results.
    cool cool, so i think you see where i'm coming from and everything, and exactly if it doesn't work out, that's another fun expiremental project to work on ha

but i'll definently keep you posted on how it goes, like i said it'll be around the 31st i'm getting everything

one last question, where do you get your box calculations from??? i know RE has one, but i'm looking to do sub up, port back, 14" tall, 36" wide, and depth doesn't matter, i have room, but how can i figure out what the box is tuned to???

thanks for all your help

x2o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cool cool, so i think you see where i'm coming from and everything, and exactly if it doesn't work out, that's another fun expiremental project to work on ha

but i'll definently keep you posted on how it goes, like i said it'll be around the 31st i'm getting everything

one last question, where do you get your box calculations from??? i know RE has one, but i'm looking to do sub up, port back, 14" tall, 36" wide, and depth doesn't matter, i have room, but how can i figure out what the box is tuned to???

thanks for all your help
    I use the RE Enclosure calculator to get my boxes tuned, they are off by like .3 on their calculations, but hell it's close enough. Subwoofertools used to be a great site, but it's been down for a couple weeks now.

Sub/port placement doesn't matter, it'll have the same tuning regardless so you can use the RE calculator.

Then if you want to model it up in 3D to get a feel for how it'll look and cuts and stuff you can use Google Sketchup.

And NP, it's my duty to help Feel free to post or PM me or hit me through AIM for more help

EDIT : sorry about the hour between my posts, I was eating dinner

The System :

jblw12gti is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea new to this thread. i think you will enjoy 38. my box is tuned to 32 for the deep stuff and 55 for competitions. there is a removable cap to switch it.

Closed Thread