Closed Thread

Reload Thread: OK to use laminated MDF??

Hubie is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK to use laminated MDF??

Hi, my dad has some laminated 3/4" mdf left over from his shelving project. I was wondering if it was ok to use for a baffle board for 8" subs. Not trying to be cheap, just not wasteful. Thanks.

Randy Savage is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Should be fine.

bigred78797 is offline Audiobahn Junkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah it should be fine. I used laminated MDPB for my whole box once and it sounded really good.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks

Excellent...thanks for the help.

This is what I'm going to use it for:

The volume behind it is supposed to yield about .75cuft. In the picture the guy is using 10's but I figured a pair of 8's is fine. My brother just has one 10 and it's plenty for me. I know the bass will sound different but I like the tight accurate bass. I just hope it won't sound muddy since they're inside the car. I'm going to line all the surround panels with sound dampening(secondskin).

What kind of sound do you think it will give? I've never heard subs set up like this before.

Also, since they're essentially going to be firing at each other, do you think I will get some cancellation even though the plastic interior pieces would be covering it?

Thanks for the additional help.

awalbert88 is offline Blame Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm... I've never considered doing a sub install like that. I've seen the same principle used for trunk installs, but never in the cabin. That should be interesting. You'd have to use a fairly low-profile sub, of course, but that'd be sweet looking.

As long as they're not firing directly at each other, it should be fine. Just angle the subs a little bit and it should sound great. And definately be liberal with the sound deadening there, because positioned like that, there is a lot of potential for panel vibration. Also, make certain you don't have any wiring running behind the sub, as it could cause problems. I know in the Mustang that Ford decided to run enough wiring behind those interior panels to strangle a grizzly with.

JL Audio 12W7, JBL BP300.1

1993 Mercury Capri XR2
    1998 Ford Mustang
    1989 Audi 100 Quattro
    2000 Buick Regal GS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tips.

I have about 5.5"-6" of depth to play with. That's also why I chose to go with 8". Too bad I don't have a digicam to show you, but the hold is completely empty. There are about 4 wires but they're far away from the sub. Do you think 50sqft of dampening material is enough to do both L&R panels, little on the rear deck, and 2 doors?

This is the first car that I've had with such a small trunk, so I decided to put the subs there instead of the trunk. I was looking into fglassing an enclosure but I've never worked with the stuff before. I was quoted $400 to make one in the RR corner of the trunk, but I don't have that kind of money.

Closed Thread

User Tag List