Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Newb question; how to make deeper speakers fit?

Y2A
    Y2A is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Newb question; how to make deeper speakers fit?

Since I mostly look at Crutchfield to see what fits my 02 Accord sedan, I see that the max dept that I can fit to my front 6.5 speakers is 1 15/16.

But I've seen people's cars with speakers that are deeper than what the restrictions allow, how'd they do that? I really want to get the JL XR650-CXi 6.5inch speakers for my front/rear full range speaker setup, but the speaker dept is 2 13/16. Is there a way I can modify the stock speaker housing so the deeper JL speakers will be able to fit? If so, how can I do it? If not, about how much will it cost at a shop to get it to fit?

Mac11 is offline MacGyver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Newb question; how to make deeper speakers fit?

Originally posted by Y2A
    Since I mostly look at Crutchfield to see what fits my 02 Accord sedan, I see that the max dept that I can fit to my front 6.5 speakers is 1 15/16.

But I've seen people's cars with speakers that are deeper than what the restrictions allow, how'd they do that? I really want to get the JL XR650-CXi 6.5inch speakers for my front/rear full range speaker setup, but the speaker dept is 2 13/16. Is there a way I can modify the stock speaker housing so the deeper JL speakers will be able to fit? If so, how can I do it? If not, about how much will it cost at a shop to get it to fit?

go to the hardware store and look around to see if they have scrap pieces of MDF-medium density fiberboard- same stuff you use to make sub boxs. they have old scrap pieces for sale at the home depot by my house. just cut a circle the size of the speaker then cut the inside of the circle out so the speaker will fit inside the hole. put your new MDF ring between the speaker and the door. viola! you have now added 3/4 inch of mounting depth. if you need more then 3/4 inch do the same thing with a 2nd piece. hope that helps. let me know if i need to clarify anything.

-Mac

"I'm craving carrots but all I have are these cookies!" -Rdub
    "HEY!! I stopped sellin pot after my first senior year!" -SD

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Re: Newb question; how to make deeper speakers fit?

Originally posted by Mac11
    go to the hardware store and look around to see if they have scrap pieces of MDF-medium density fiberboard- same stuff you use to make sub boxs. they have old scrap pieces for sale at the home depot by my house. just cut a circle the size of the speaker then cut the inside of the circle out so the speaker will fit inside the hole. put your new MDF ring between the speaker and the door. viola! you have now added 3/4 inch of mounting depth. if you need more then 3/4 inch do the same thing with a 2nd piece. hope that helps. let me know if i need to clarify anything.

-Mac
    yup, spacer rings...

only problem is that if the spacer is too thick, you're gonna have problems putting back the door panel back on. You might have to do some custom resin/fiberglass job to make it look flush... or you could also go for the flower-pot trick, like what one of the meembrs did here...ultra ghetto.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

andy00018 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Re: Newb question; how to make deeper speakers fit?

Originally posted by paikiah
    yup, spacer rings...

only problem is that if the spacer is too thick, you're gonna have problems putting back the door panel back on. You might have to do some custom resin/fiberglass job to make it look flush... or you could also go for the flower-pot trick, like what one of the meembrs did here...ultra ghetto.
    I remember the flower pot, in like a beat up metro or something like that, that was funny. LOL

91 Mustang GT
    Panasonic head unit
    '03 12 spoke 15" HC d2- FOR SALE-MAKE AN OFFER
    Avionixx 800.2 in.-FOR SALE-ME AN OFFER

AOL: Andy000018

Y2A
    Y2A is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Newb question; how to make deeper speakers fit?

Originally posted by Mac11

-Mac
    do u have any pics of how the MDF ring would look like after its done?

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Y2A
    do u have any pics of how the MDF ring would look like after its done?
    well hopefully it would be hidden. youre supposed to put the speaker grill back on over it.

-nate

Mac11 is offline MacGyver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by paikiah
    yup, spacer rings...

you could cut the opening in the door panel and put the speaker grill on it like mentioned ^ there or god-forbid get some of that cheap speaker mesh....****...idunno exactly what it is.....i know what im thinking of though?

-Mac

"I'm craving carrots but all I have are these cookies!" -Rdub
    "HEY!! I stopped sellin pot after my first senior year!" -SD

hihoslva is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here's a pic of the adapter plate I made to fit 6.5" Infinitys in a stock 6x8 location:

They have since been replaced, but you get the idea, I hope. These are plywood, but MDF will work fine (probably better). I would stick to 1/2" thick material also - see if that gets you the depth you need. If not, you can use 3/4", but it might stick out too far and interfere with the door panel being reinstalled. It will all depend on your specific car.

It is also a good idea to paint the adapter with polyurethane, fiberglass resin, or even a good exterior-grade paint. Especially if you use MDF for your plates - wood soaks up water, and all it takes is a few drops getting in there to ruin the adapter. The last set I made (of 1/2" MDF) was destroyed in 6 months due to moisture - the MDF just soaks it up and turn to mush, and plywood is not much better. My new ones are well sealed.

~HH

2002 Sunlight Silver Metallic Mazda Protege5
    Kenwood~Lanzar~Infinity~Peerless

Closed Thread

User Tag List